Birthers: Fringe or Base?

I don’t know that I can stand to watch the video, but can anyone tell me if Michelle Bachmann was in it? Sounds like her kind of thing.

massachusetts a state? bah. you’re a commonwealth!

Well, it’s right, here, goofballs:

http://www.factcheck.org/elections-2008/born_in_the_usa.html

In other words, go see for yourself.

Lies, Guapo! ALL LIES! My grandfather, WW2, etc.

Are there any embarassed GOPs out there?

Nope, they stopped posting a while ago.

It’s recent, and I’m hoping he’ll change as the populace changes. He’s always been a follower, and talk radio has poisoned him.

H.

or became “libertarians”

Nope. I can’t speak for Tim who seems rather Libertarian leaning, but I was a liberal democrat before becoming a libertarian (still registered as a democrat).

wasn’t speaking of you two directly.

Thanks for answering. I was honestly curious (rather than being snarky), and I’m glad you took the question in that spirit.

As so many commentators have said, it really does seem like the divide between the left & the right is growing, to the point where the right seems truly evil to many of us. I’m often curious how & why friendships survive across that gulf. Just sweeping it under the rug & taking pride in making friends with anyone seems like an irresponsible & immoral modus operandi to me. If someone really does believe gays are lesser people, or that all the world’s problems are because of Obama, or… whatever… then that would seem to say something fundamental about their character. And of course, the exact opposite would be true with regard to leftist views being abhorrent to the right.

He drives all day for his job, and the annoying thing is that he’s incredibly well-versed on the issue of the day. So when politics comes up, he gets to make all these references and whatnot which in sum are obviously wrong, but I would need an internet connection and an hour to prove to my satisfaction.

Of course, he also comes up with the stupid stuff like the economy thing above, I just roll my eyes at those.

H.

It’s something I’m really struggling with. How can I invite someone to my house who believes torturing Muslims was the right thing to do? Or who boasts of having 2000 rounds of ammunition in his house? Or any number of right wing positions which are decidedly non-librul?

On the other hand, I do have a board game meetup and I don’t clear people’s political associations before they come to the house so there is that. I avoid those who seem too much into the fringe right wing element.

A few days ago, the barber cutting my hair basically said something to this effect. He went on a long tirade about serving in the military for 20 years and being in warzones and how at his age of 76 he has the right to say whatever he damn well feels, even if it’s about “the difference between God and Obama is that God doesn’t think he’s Obama…” and how he pledged to serve and protect and honor this great country so he’ll respect the elected leader of the country, although it’s probably not Obama since he’s not a U.S. citizen with a valid birth certificate anyway, and on and on…

He was also finishing up my haircut with a straight-edge (and gesturing with it while digressing), so I felt it unwise to say anything back to him.

Why do you have such a person as a friend?

It’s recent, and I’m hoping he’ll change

the right seems truly evil to many of us

It’s something I’m really struggling with.

I felt it unwise to say anything back to him.

I sense a support group forming. Maybe with a poetry slam after.

“Yeah, you know who else didn’t have a birth certificate? George Fucking Washington.”

Of course, then you’ll have to ask nicely for a cup of ice to put your ears in.

While admittedly a valiant effort, this still has a long way to go to match the craziness and insulting stupidity of the 9/11 truthers. IMHO

Well, you have to take folks as more complicated than that. I have a hell of a lot more ammo than that, but I’m definitely not right-wing.

H.

Have I mentioned how much I like Jon Stewart?

heh

A lot of my extended family (aunts, etc) are hardcore right-wing Obama haters. I mostly just try to not talk politics or religion with them…