Black Dynamite!

It’s now #1 in my netflix queue :)

You won’t regret it. I actually purchased it sight-unseen after getting so many recommendations for it, both here, in the “Movies like Shoot 'Em Up” thread and elsewhere. Was tooootally worth it. :)

I wanted to see this in the theater sooo badly, but they only showed it here for ONE NIGHT. At midnight. And I couldn’t make it. The MAN didn’t want me to see it!

I bought the DVD, watched it, watched the special features, watched the movie again. I never, ever do that! It was fantastic. So many great sight gags, jokes, badass ass-whuppings. I loved the almost-Shakespearean line delivery of Black Dynamite’s brother, and the weird things that came out of the mouth of Militant #2. The documentary explained that. They said they were aiming to capture the kind of blaxploitation actor that was so bad he’d read the stage directions.

Many thumbs up. But now that the filmmakers have proven that they can so effortlessly make an excellent bad movie, can they make a great great movie? I hope so!

To all my fellow jive turkeys in the D.C. area: the AFI Silver will be showing Black Dynamite for the next week (6/11-17), starting with a midnight showing tonight.

I work a block from here. I’m gonna have to make it to another viewing this week.

Erik J.

The blu-ray is on Amazon for $16.50. Soooo tempted.

That’s a good price. If I didn’t already have the DVD I’d bite.

I might just wait for it to return to Netflix Watch Instant[ly], which is apparently July 1.

Otherwise, Family Video has it for $13.49 plus $1.99 for shipping, so that’s a dollar less than Amazon. Or you could just pick up a used DVD copy from them for $4.99 (the new DVD is $20.99, for some reason).

I’ve bought plenty of stuff from them before, and they’re okay.

I finally got around to fetching the DVD. This movie fills my heart with warmth. When I saw the first trailer, I was sceptical whether the ‘gimmick’ would wear off quickly or not. It didn’t. Loved every scene, be it MJW angrily looking at the dangling microphone or him visiting the orphanage and talking to the ‘smack kid’. Will probably watch it tomorrow again.

I saw this with Repoman at a midnight showing. I loved it. It was a perfect spoof of Blacksploitation movies of the 70s, and the fight scenes were actually very exciting and well done, especially Black Dynamite’s akimbo punch/kick move. BADASS!

Was dropping in to post this very thing. I see that my work here is done.

Saw it for the first time a few weeks ago. Can’t wait to watch it again. Pitch-perfect, tons of awesome parts, really well-made.

Michael Jai White tweeted

Yes yes Y’awl! There will be another BLACK DYNAMITE and it will be even blacker and more dynamitey!

Just in case you haven’t heard.

Funk.

Great!

P.S.: NOT THE ORPHANS!!!

His twitter account isn’t verified, do we know that it’s a real one?

“If your Grandmother was here today she would roll over in her grave, Black Dynamite.” LOL

“Hush, mama. You’ll wake up the rest of the bitches.”

Re-watched it a few days ago, it holds up.

H.

Oh God, this killed me again. Best line of the movie.

H.

DYN-A-MITE! DYN-A-MITE!

DYN-A-MITE! DYN-A-MITE!

Black Dynamite 2: Nixon’s Revenge?

Black Dynamite’s Big Score?

Black Dynamite in Africa?

Black Dynamite’s Baaaaadaaaaaass Song?

Can’t wait!