Blood Bowl Beta announced, site opened

and unfortunately the publishers are correct on this point. forum folks who complain the loudest are a relatively low percentage of sales.

I’m looking forward to the DS version. I’d rather play a good turn-based Blood Bowl and the DS should be perfect for that.

Eh, I used to hate Starforce myself. Now, I don’t really care. I’ve got the beta and having starforce hasn’t done jack to my system. Maybe they’ve gotten better, as a vendor? shrug Besides, like I said, there really isn’t any GOOD DRM solutions, so if they insist on having one, one’s probably as good as the other, I guess.

I’ve heard the PSP version is going to be pretty awesome, if you have one of those laying around? Just a thought.

I just got in myself. Who else is on, and what’s your coach name? I try to limit my amount of potential douchebags online, especially when I’m learning. Mine’s “Pop Khorne”

I am going to check the old thread for the PC league people and start contacting them in order to hit the ground running.

As for the beta, my username is Da Coach.

Crap, I forget…Tyjenks, will check when I get home.

I got in, my username is tiohn. Surprise!

I just started turn based league using the classic rules. Qt3, password koontz

SirFozzie and will be on after 10 Eastern

Sadly I’m sure that’s true. I didn’t know Starforce could kill hardware until someone here at Qt3 told me.

But has it gotten fixed? - I’m enough of a BB addict to put up with almost anything short of a dead machine.

On a totally unrelated note, how many of you guys play the board game? How about showing off some team pictures?

Yeah, I don’t think this is the case anymore though. Here is the original info about this from boing boing:

For example, here’s one of the common problems brought by Starforce: under Windows XP, if packets are lost during the reading or writing of a disk, XP interprets this as an error and steps the IDE speed down. Eventually it will revert to 16bit compatibility mode rendering a CD/DVD writer virtually unusable. In some circumstances certain drives cannot cope with this mode and it results in physical hardware failure (Most commonly in multiformat CD/DVD writer drives). A sure sign of this step down occurring is that the burn speeds will get slower and slower (no matter what speed you select to burn at). Starforce, on a regular basis, triggers this silent step down. Until it reaches the latter stages most people do not even realise it is happening.

scary stuff, but i honestly doubt starforce is any worse than securom these days.

I will never buy a game with Starforce on it. Period, full stop, do not pass go. I don’t care if they claim to have reformed; anyone who does business with them hates their customers, plain and simple. No Blood Bowl for me.

Also: Before we go too far, just a reminder, there has been no indication if Starforce will be on the final release. It may be that they needed something, anything, to keep track of beta activations, and the Starforce-by-another-name was it.

So it’s safe enough if you don’t put the disk in a combo drive?

If so, sign me back up for PC, TB & Skavens.

Well, I can’t say its safe for certain. Does anyone know if this has been fixed or removed? I would assume yes, as there hasn’t been anymore talk of this happening since 2005-06 even though SF is still used in games. They’ve released gui tools to remove their drivers and the danger outlined above was only in XP.

They have, in fact, posted in their forums as recently as a couple of weeks ago saying that retail copy protection has not been finalized, but it probably won’t be Starforce. Take that with a grain of salt, I guess, but it is not at all uncommon for betas to have different copy protection than shipping versions of games.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. I hope you are not counseling people to wait and see before skewering the makers of the game.

Just played my first game where I lost 0-2. Got to go do some raiding in WoW now, but in the realm of NDA be damned:

Starforce killed DVD/CD-burning for me in XP (more specifically, disabled the one program I used). Not sure if it’s broken my capability now in Vista 64, but anyway, I’m in. Using “evilidler” as my coach name only for the beta, so I can stalk people I know from other games anonymously :)

Anyone up for a game like right now?