Bloody Rally Show - The Love Child of Carmageddon and Death Rally

To be fair, I’m underemployed, so while I SHOULDN’T spend $18, I’m so glad I did.

Money is not really growing on trees around here, and while it looks fun it’s also not like I’m lacking for other games in the meantime, so wishlist it is.

Totally fine. Maybe I’ll do another giveaway ;)

For an idea of what kind of Dev we’re dealing with here, a user on the Discord mentioned this morning that due to a muscle condition they’d like to be able to play with the mouse, so the Dev added mouse-steering and released an update.

The immediate feedback was that was good, but the range of sensitivity offered by the in-game sliders probably wasn’t enough, so the Dev patched that too.

Now you can map gas and brake to the mouse buttons and steering to the mouse movement and drive around pretty easily, although it needs some tuning to get it exactly where you like it for drifting through hairpins and stuff.

I remember as a kid there was a top down driver (involving hot wheels maybe?) that my friends and I screwed around with that had mouse controls and split screen keyboard. Wonder what that was.

Cool of the dev to add that. Onto the wishlist this goes.

My season includes a driver named “Brian Rubin”.

This game can be rather frustrating at times. It’s rather easy for a great race to go to shit in the blink of an eye.

The physics handling seems perfect for a game like this.

I’d like to see elevation added into the tracks. Sure there is variety, but that would expand it in a massive way.

More camera options would be appreciated.

Right this moment, I’d say that the game does what it sets out to do quite well at a certain level, but I don’t see it compelling me to keep playing again and again.

Rogue-lite is very much a misnomer, imo. I would like to see lethality turned WAY down but make accumulated damage matter, so now you trying to earn money and are budgeting between repairs, upgrades and new vehicles. And if you lose your only car, that’s the end of your run. That would make this much more like a rogue-lite, imo.

That’s funny, I renamed one of my drivers to Brian Rubin.

I refunded this game though, it was frustrating me too much.

As I understand it, the “Random” name list includes any name that has a time on the hotlap leaderboards.

This is how Brian had Elon Musk in all of his races yesterday.

Might I ask what was frustrating?

I could see certain folks not liking this game for a reason Misguided gave: race well, and you will probably still get screwed. (Which I think is wonderful in a game of this type. Perfect laptimes are for racers without exploding pedestrians.)

Come on now. Pedestrians don’t explode. They pop like blood filled water balloons.

Taken without context, this is one my favorite posts ever.

It’s especially fun if you hit one of the porta-potties while it’s ocupado.

Exactly what Misguided said above and scharmers alluded to. Also I’m totally over roguelikes. I want games to respect my time not make me start over. I’ve been uninstalling them left and right. I thought this game, given that it feels like a career mode, would be less roguelike, and it is, but I found an interesting but frustrating trap last night and adding that onto the what I feel like is a frustrating driving experience (hey I got bumped a teensy bit, let me go fly into that copse of trees and be in last place now. oh the AI was bumped too? well if you look at them they started steering to correct immediately and perfectly on being bumped so they’re back in the race totally fine)

Also, somehow the driving is too slow? It feels ponderous. I like my top down 2d racers to feel super quick and not have weird recovery disasters every half a minute.

The frustrating trap that happened last night was: bought the third car, expecting to have issues since I barely had enough money to afford it, and then was like oh, haha I don’t have enough money to afford the next race. Then I was delighted that I got to try the pedestrian mode. I’d been wanting to see that. I sort of purposely got too close to see what happens and I was dead. And in the rest of the game when your car is destroyed it is like, “respawn”. Instead this was “career over”. There was no way to retry … well there’s a retry button but it doesn’t work, and when I got back into the race somehow - can’t remember how - I spawned as an observer instead and the game stopped responding to all controls. So it only gave me the option to end campaign, and then it wouldn’t let me continue the old campaign which it still showed instead it told me to start a new campaign instead.

And then I said, Ohhhhh this is one of them roguelikes that rewards your hour of play with starting over from scratch with zilch, and I refunded.

In summary, it’s just not my thing.

Alright man, sorry it wasn’t for you.

“I guess she don’t like the cornbread, either.”

A warning before spending down below the cost of the next race would make sense.

That was my takeaway, honestly. A little popup that’s like: “Hey, you’re about to be fucked, you sure you want to do that?” would be a real quality of life improvement. :D

Dev confirms today he’s had an answer from Nintendo about access to their dev tools and so this will eventually come to the Switch.

Refunded. It just didn’t grab me.