Brian Fargo is returning to the Wasteland for a third time

Oh wow, they should reword that.

Backed!

Probably just some kind of database glitch then. I assume you signed in to Inixile’s internal system (away from Kickstarter) to setup your copy of Wasteland 2 and Torment in their system.

If you back WL3 today, you also get a free steam key for either Stasis or Underrail when the campaign finishes. Both are very well reviewed games-- Underrail is an oldschool RPG, while Stasis is a point and click adventure. This deal ends tomorrow.

85% done. I backed mainly because of the super discount and the realistic delivery date. What I really want to see from Fargo at this point is the leadership to deliver a “director’s cut” of Torment, and not like Wasteland 2 with the DC announced six months later and released six months after that. I don’t want that to become their business model. He’s already enough of a director to do what he wants with his games.

The DC was completely free if you already owned WL2. There was no “business model” impact.

The WL2 DC existed because they refactored the game for consoles. Torment is releasing on consoles, so that shouldn’t happen. But it doesn’t mean they won’t release free patches and call them a DC or GOTY edition or whatever. And I’m cool with that.

Wasteland 2 was the first time they had done anything of the sort as a company (although of course Fargo and others on staff have a history going back to the early Interplay RPGs, as individuals), and their first crowdfunding experience. They turned out a decent game to start with, but the port to consoles afforded justification to make a significant overhaul to reflect additional player feedback received in the interim. I would expect that by the time Wasteland 3 comes out (which I would expect to be after the release of Torment and Bard’s Tale IV both), they’ll have had more than enough experience and exposure to the desires of their fanbase to get it more or less right out of the gate. I guess we’ll see.

When do you get the free game? I have not received an e-mail from Fig on my purchase nor did I see a choice to select between SOMA and Underrail.

You get it at the end of the campaign, when the crowdfunding drive is finished, and is successful.

Also it’s STASIS or Underrail, you can’t choose SOMA.

I am shocked out how large a piece of the pie the Fig investors are compared to normal backers. It’s something like only 550k is regular backers, the other 1.9m is investors. Is there a way to see a further breakdown of that 1.9? I’m curious if there are some large institutional investors making up that 1.9. They are also saying that if you invested $1000 in Wasteland 2 you’d be making back a profit of $400 using the current structure for how they are allowing you to invest in Wasteland 3.

What’s the background on having UnderRail and Stasis attached to this campaign? Did the devs partner up with Inxile or is it more like Inxile’s own kick it forward initative?

The Bischoff brothers of STASIS -Chris occasionally posts about his projects here, by the way- were mentioned to be involved in creating some art used in the campaign. No idea about Underrail though.

Which is a very good thing, as people who have played STASIS know. Damn, the art in that game is gorgeous.

Whoa, 91% funded!

Backed this at the lowest level, but I’m really happy to see the campaign do so well. A few days before it the page was made public, Inxile emailed people on their newsletter to check out the pitch. They already had a decent number of investors then. If you click the little ‘i’ under the goal heading, you can see the overwhelming number of pledges are from investors: $2.5 million vs. $.5 million.

Thanks krsyzkrok!

I did some fan art for InXile back in days of the original WL2 Kickstarter campaign, and since then we have just kept in contact. At GDC we were actually staying in the same hotel, and had breakfast together a few times and started to discuss collaborating in a more official capacity.

Its been an amazing experience so far!

If you invest, do you still get a copy of the game? ;)

All right, Wasteland 3 is funded! To the shock of no one, I imagine.

I hope they keep single-playthrough length under control this time. I’m a fan of the genre but most games these days require 50- 100 hours to finish once. My interest wanes around 20-30, even if I enjoy the story and mechanics.

From what I’ve heard, Tyranny is targeting 25 hours per play through, with big differences from one play to the next. I hope they pull that off and that it encourages this saner approach to RPGs in the future.

Any clues on targeted length of WL3?

It’s a crowdfunding budget, so it’s unlikely to be a 100+ hour epic. Might hit 50, I dunno. Not sure what the estimated playthrough length of WL2 is since I only got maybe 60% through the first half before the Director’s Cut was announced and I stopped to wait for that (I still haven’t gone back now that it’s out, but my intention is to do so sometime before WL3 releases. Probably. Ish.)