Bright - Elves, Orcs, Humans living together with Cats & Dogs

I liked this movie. I think it worked well, but I think you need to be kind of into the whole fantasy angle already, so that it doesn’t just make it weird.

Had a lot of stuff that worked well. Smith and orc guy played well together.

Definitely played out similar to end of watch mixed with alien nation… although less dark than end of watch, which may be why I liked it better.

I was wondering what Will Smith’s last hit was, as it seemed to me that he’s been on a protracted dry spell, and was shocked to see Suicide Squad made $325M domestic. It’s his highest grossing film ever. I was thinking it limped to a shade over $100M. Also, Hancock made over $225M. I didn’t think that one even got to 100-mil. I guess he’s at least doing better than Johnny Depp.

Johnny Depp has got to have more money than God at this point. He’s got freaking pirates of the Caribbean dollars coming out his ass. That’s 4.5 billion with a b.

What was the budget though? Marketing alone was probably $100m.

Oh, no doubt. It’s not like either of them will be soon worrying about having to live under a bridge. But I was talking about lately. Depp keeps his current run going, and he’ll end up starring alongside Sarah Palin in Sharknado 11.

BoxOfficeMojo says the production budget was $175M. I’m guessing that doesn’t count promotion, but it also made another $420M foreign, so it definitely made money. Compare to Pirates 5, which cost $230M and grossed $172M (though it cleaned up overseas - $622M) or the Alice in Wonderland sequel, which cost $170M, and made $77M ($222M foreign).

Only if he wants to though, because he makes another pirates movie every year which probably gets him another gajillion dollars every time.

Also, I actually liked some of his recent stuff. I liked Transcendence, for instance.

But like I said earlier, I like movies that other folks don’t like. Like Prometheus!

Yeah, but according to his former accountant he also seems to be the person to spend tons of money without care or consideration.

The Pirates movies surely make for a nice paycheck, but after a string of notable flops in the past years, his income certainly is not the same as it was 5 years ago.

There’s apparently a sequel:

This was just awful. Poorly shot. Poorly lit. Poorly edited. My wife and I were watching and just could not believe the action scenes lacked any sense of choreography.

Ugh. I thought Suicide Squad was better than this. And I really didn’t like Suicide Squad.

Painfully bad editing at times.

Yeah, the editing’s wonky, but I thought it was great fun nonetheless.

The backstory being told through street graffiti during the opening credits was a great touch. Joel Edgerton is doing good work getting the “orc-iness” across. There’s at least one cool action scene, the one with the car in the convenience store used as mobile cover.

Suicide Squad is waaay worse than this.

Not sure though how this movie had a 90 million dollar budget. It’s got some good effects shots but mostly small scale. I liked the makeup, but outside of the probably massively overpaid Will Smith not sure why it cost that much.

That’s the bit I don’t get: assuming it really did cost dozens of millions, where does Netflix make money in all of this? There seems to be already enough stuff on Netflix right now that any original content, even if spectacular, would only bring a very marginal amount of new users, no?

A screengrab of a deleted Max Landis Tweet:

Apparently the “fairy lives don’t matter” line was a ad lib from Will Smith.

I think the time stamp helps explain it.

Not having Will Smith involved would have been a plus in my book.

This was better than Last Jedi. This universe has dragons flying over LA and there’s ninja elves. I liked the highlander homeless dude. He should have had a combat scene. No street samurai though.

I watched this last night and it was… fine. For perspective, I generally am not fond of Will Smith movies (I don’t dislike them, they’re just kind of meh), and I generally hate cop movies/tv (The Wire being the obvious exception). The fantasy stuff made the cop stuff more bearable, so there’s that. The rest of it was kind of poorly plotted, and WTH was with the ninja acrobat elf sorcerer apprentice? I thought they (understandably) spent too much time explaining the world background, but that should pay off with the sequel, which sure, I’ll watch, iwhy not?

Will Smith has an epic “I’m So Serious Right Now” face on par with Steven Seagal’s!

LOL

Me too! Except for some of the dudebro comments by the scientists in the beginning, I thought it was a pretty solid movie.

A buddy went off on how the movie was totally unbelievable blah blah blah.

My response was the same I’ll give to folks here:

It’s alien nation with orcs and elves. Don’t over think it. It’s just a movie. Relax.