Christien Murawski, 1969-2019

I’m so sorry that this turned out the way it has. I wish there were more I could do, but I will be thinking about Tom, fire, his son, and the others who really knew him well.

Thank all of you for sharing your love, and loss, on Christien’s passing the mortal coils.

I’ve found that less of my words and more of others is a solace (this applies to me and nobody else here!). So I’ll leave this instead (and I get a strong sense that there is immeasurable sweetness in Christien’s legacy).

That it will never come again is what makes life so sweet. [Emily Dickinson]

This is just awful.

He made the world better by being in it.

That is something we all should strive for.

My condolences.

I can’t say anything that hasn’t already been said more eloquently in this thread. My heartfelt condolences to Christien’s friends and family, most especially his son. I would say to him that his father’s voice (through the podcasts) and words (through the forums) reached thousands of people collectively, and had an impact far greater than Christien will ever know. It may have just seemed like so much talk about movies, television, games, books and food…but it was really so much more than that, and because of those discussions, Christien Murawski lives on in the hearts and minds of all those people lucky enough to interact with him. Thank you for sharing your amazing father with all of us.

Terrible news to kick off the new year with, especially after all the positive reports in the other thread. But I guess things can turn on a dime when you’re hospital sick. I didn’t know him beyond the forum and podcast, so it’s nice to see the posts from others detailing his personality and impact on those who knew him better. RIP

I’m terribly saddened by this news; my condolences to Tom, Kelly and Christien’s son and family. I only know of Christien through the movie podcast, but he has been no small part of my life. It has been one of my personal joys over the last 10 years (!!!) to watch a movie and immediately download the podcast.I’ve been a bit behind on movie watching and still have a huge backlog of podcasts to listen to.

Hopefully it brings you some comfort to know, that over the next few years, this random dude on the internet will be listening to Christien’s voice and his wonderful thoughts and opinions about movies and life and will do my best to appreciate how precious and fleeting this gift has been.

Very sorry to hear this. My condolences to his family and friends.

You’re all invited; save the date: Christien Murawski's memorial & celebration of life 2/22/20

When @arrendek and @RichVR and I got together in Orlando, Rich led us in raising a glass to Christien. That’s going to happen at every future QT3 gathering that I have anything to do with. His memory will always be honored.

I had feared reading this thread because I wasn’t sure I could handle the sadness I expected to feel. Instead, having read the stories of the people blessed enough to have encountered Christien in person, I found myself overwhelmed with a sense of love and joy. He really was truly special, and his unalloyed goodness shines through with each memory shared. Maybe I’m just still in the denial stage, but he doesn’t feel gone at all.

Crushed.

I’m so sorry to hear this, my condolences to Christians family and friends.
For years I’ve cherished his incisive and passionate criticism of film, as well as the touching personal tales he would bring to the podcast - although I didn’t know him it feels like I’ve lost an old friend.

Absolutely gutted to read this. My only real interaction with Christien was when he read my infrequent letters on the show. But he, like Kelly and Tom, felt like a fixture of my life, a group of friends I chummed around with and talked movies every week. Kelly’s constant attempt to bait him in the opsis always made me laugh. And whether I agreed with him or not, Christien wore his passions on his sleeve, and never showed any fear when bearing his soul.

I don’t think I’ve ever encountered a more earnest and pure soul. The world is a sadder place with his loss.

You never really knew me, Christien, but I’ll certainly never forget you.

I truly hope someday, once the shock, anger, and sadness that comes with loss has ebbed, that your son finds the courage to read through threads like these. And realize what a tremendous impact his father had on so many lives; giving with all his heart and never asking a single thing in return.

I can’t put it better than @joex111 did - Dingus has been a constant presence since in my life the movie podcast started, and he was always so sincere and passionate. This was devastating to see, especially since things was looking up last time I checked in.

Wow, hadn’t been here much the last few days and one of the last things I read was how Christien was doing better and though I did not know him except from some posts here, it really brightened my end of year reading that he was doing better Fuck.

My condolences to all who knew him: QT3ers, friends, family. So very sorry for your loss.

Oh no. My condolences to his friends, family, and to the members of the Qt3 community he enriched with his presence. :(

I hope this won’t come across as horribly Pollyanna-ish, but someday when this doesn’t hurt so much, I hope Christien’s son will return to this treasure trove of an archive that Tom, Christien and Kelly have left behind in the form of the movie podcast. It’s Christien and his passions all bundled up in a bunch of little packages, in his own voice. Not many of us will leave behind such a time capsule, and we can continue to remember him and revisit him, in a way.

That’s not Pollyanna-ish at all. That will be a wonderful resource for Christien’s son.

We have a cassette tape recording of my grandfather singing some nursery rhymes. I have no idea why he made it or even how I came to have it but I do. We used to play it for my son when he would go down to sleep in the evenings when he was a little baby. It always warmed my heart to think of my son going to sleep to songs sung by his great grandfather.

I think audio is a wonderful thing to leave behind. I listened to the 3x3 movies you want to watch with someone; Christien’s top pick of Rushmore with his son…man.

Just the other day a word I read made me remember how years ago Christien used to post the Qt3 Word of the Day as used by someone on the forum. RIP.