Colbert is just killing it these days on the Late Show

All the late-night shows are taping with no audience.

Yeah, I watched the monologue (the first video above) and it was a bit weird at first, but got better as it went on. It’s clear that he does enjoy playing off the audience’s feedback, and that he misses it.

Pete stood in for Jimmie Kimmel and had no crowd. Still not bad for a politician.

I found the monologue to be excruciating. After every line, he’d have a pause to wait for the audience to laugh. When it never came, he mostly just kind of looked lost.

The jokes were all pretty funny, but his delivery and the pauses made it seem faltering, which sapped a lot of the jokes of their punch.

I don’t really blame Colbert, who has spent almost his entire career playing for live audiences. But of the late-nite shows that I’ve seen try this (Meyers, Oliver, Maher, and Colbert), he seemed to have the most trouble.

On Monday, Colbert had his first show since he did the one show without an audience, where he got drunk.

I enjoyed it! He had John Oliver on as his guest. It was actually very informative. I hadn’t thought about how Colbert has to do everything himself, his son is manning the camera, and his daughter did his makeup. Meanwhile Oliver talked about how he did this Sunday’s show via his staff talking him through every little thing using Zoom.

Anyway, good show. One thing I like about Colbert is that he still pauses for the laugh, even though there isn’t an audience, so it gives me time to guffah. Oliver also did that in his studio show without an audience, but in Sunday’s show that Oliver did from home, he didn’t pause at all after the jokes, he just pressed on, which meant that I missed what he was saying while I was laughing at the previous joke. I hate sitting with a remote and having to go backward for missed stuff, so i really appreciate the pause for laughs.

The segment with Daniel Radcliffe was quite funny too. Lots of technical issues we have all see in company meetings. And we got to see the awesome Lego model he has been building in isolation. We live in strange times…

I didn’t have this problem because I had a similar reaction to Oliver

Oh for fucks sake.

There’s always an edge, but this was definitely the highest level of genuine anger I’ve seen. Fully justified.

The previously un-aired performance with John Prine was also great.

Going back and watching this interview with Charles Barkley - from just three weeks ago - is freaking surreal:

“It’s like this debate where we wouldn’t let fans to game! Ok, if fans can’t come to games, are they not gonna live their lives? They’re not going to go to work? They can’t just stop living. Just not coming to a basketball game isn’t going to solve the issues”

We were so innocent and naive back then!

Well, he did say he never wanted to be a role model. That was him, right?

Yep Barkley always was the guy who wanted his cake and to eat it too. And damn, did that fat bastard eat his share of cake. It’s alway nice that he wanted the fame and the paycheck but none of the responsibility that came from it. Yeah, not a Barkley fan.

Thanks, found it!

I do find the pauses awkward. But I loved tonight’s episode with Conan O’Brien. It was fun and I admit to getting a little misty-eyed when he told a story about meeting someone randomly who knew his dad. Colbert is a treasure. (But his greatest role for me will always remain The Colbert Report.)

I miss Conan. But I don’t have cable, and honestly that’s prime gaming/discussion time for me.

I watched the Conan episode yesterday, it was great. I’d love to see the Conan version of that interview now, if there was one. Michael Stipe was really great singing into his laptop. What a great song.

My favorite of the late night talk show people that I’ve seen so far is actually Seth Meyers. He’s setup in an attic, and he’s got a tiny door he talks about at the start of every Closer Look, it’s all very soothing and yet also very incisive. I think he’s my new favorite. He’s even better than John Oliver during this week, I thought.

The Colbert episode after the Super bowl was really great.

I wasn’t sure if I really wanted to watch Metallica in 2021, especially when at the end of the show, he announced them singing Enter Sandman, and it switched to a bunch of really old looking men in a garage playing that song. But I have to admit, they still sound really great. I can’t believe that song is about 30 years old now. It makes me feel as old as those old men singing that song.

:complainsatcloudtothesoundofheavymetal:

I loved the bit about the player intros as envisioned by all the various film directors, including Martin Scorsese, Werner Herzog, Wes Anderson, etc. That had me in stitches.

Yeah that was so good.