Company of Heroes 3: mamma mia, we Total War now!

Remember the Germans were the baddies.

OMG how cool is this PanzerIII.

Why is there an Indian lady running around the deserts of North Africa?

Wondering the same thing. Maybe because Egypt was “ruled” by Britain then and Indians were part of the British army as India was part of the British Empire as well and just across the desert? and over the Arabian peninsula, and ahhh, over the Red Sea

But the Panther was cooler. Fight me.

A Panther is a Panzer, as the latter is merely the generic noun for “armor” or in this context “tank” in German. So when people say “Panzer tank,” it is redundant. Technically, a Panther is a Panzerkampfwagen V, for instance, with different models being designated by “marks” or Ausfuhrung, usually denoted by letters starting with A. So, PzKw V Auf. A is an early Panther, while a PzKw Auf G is a later, more reliable version. Etc.

Panthers were ugly.

Effective, but ugly.

You want ugly? I got ugly. Or rather Uncle Joe does.

The Panthers were effective if they fired from range, didn’t move more than 150 km, were shot anywhere but the front, didn’t have to move the turret very much (not that anyone could tell from inside), and the gas fumes didn’t ignite.
That’s some German efficiency!

48c

I mean, a lifetime of geekery and wargaming, plus a Ph.D. in History has to be worth something! Ain’t much use for much else for sure.

Played the North Africa mission.

• Being able to repair enemy tanks and send them into battle is silly fun. Fight a big battle? Enjoy your new Crusader tank army!
  • The annoying control scheme using arrow keys to scroll is back.
  • The destructible buildings look great - maybe too destructible? Doesn’t take much to bring them down.

All in all pretty much CoH. At the end of the mission you’re left with a shot of the village you destroyed (which you had to destroy to defeat the British and complete the mission). But I guess the point is the player is meant to feel bad about it now? The tone shifts are pretty wild.

I enjoyed the mission, I’ll definitely pick it up on day 1. Only real wishes are for a further out zoom and a 50% higher unit cap.

Was sad I lost the crew to my 88 just before the mission ended due to incoming artillery. Mission took me just over an hour according to Steam.

Also sad with the tease of building a Tiger 1. :P

Well, most pre-war designs are horrific.

Panther is ugly in a time where most tanks started looking good.

Um, I dunno. The Shermans are tall and weird. The British tanks are boxy and weird. The T-34 family, ok, sort of like a Panther in looks (the Germans probably took inspiration from the T-34 even), but usually really rough and poorly finished. The Pershing, a bit later? It’s a bit more modern, sure, but good-looking? Eh.

IMO, tanks don’t start looking somewhat spiffy until the M60/T-62 era, and they didn’t get sexy until the M1/Leo II era.

If you want to play as the Allies in NA - the new Unity of Command 2 DLC is out now!

Next to Darktide, my most wanted game!

Delayed to 2023, like most other games.

Aargh. Better delayed than rushed but this is my most anticipated game.

Personally a big relief - I wanted to check this out, but November is freaking packed with games I’m super excited about as it is.