CONTROL - (Remedy Entertainment and 505 Games)

Not sure if this might have been lost in all the flurry around Cyberpunk, but the next gen console versions of Control Ultimate Edition are dropping Feb 2nd. Your choice of 60fps performance or 30fps Quality (with raytracing) modes. I have purposely put off a replay of this so I can play the tricked out version with all the DLC on XSX, so pretty excited it’s close. Here’s the teaser.

The publisher really bungled the release of this one.

There’s Control, which is available for last Gen consoles but no free upgrade.

You can buy Control Ultimate now for Xbox Series X but it is not actually the next Gen version, despite being labeled as such.

Then in February they’re releasing the actual next gen upgrades?

In my XSX library, I have the original version of Control plus DLCs, which is playable now. Also, a Control Ultimate Edition placeholder with the X|S logo, which just takes you to the store page when you launch it. So that will be replaced by the full upgrade version I guess, which itself will replace the legacy version. So yeah, not exactly clear.

If you buy (or have bought) the Ultimate Edition on consoles, you get the full game + DLC for last gen right now and you’ll also get the new gem versions in February. That part is fine. But people were understandably upset that owners of any version before the Ultimate Edition don’t also get the free copy of the new gen when it’s released.

Finally getting around to this on Gamepass and my XSX, and it’s been great, but there’s a crippling bug that I’ve hit that others are reporting.

Somewhere around Research, the dialogue audio completely cuts out on Darling’s videos and other conversations. There’s still other audio (like when Darling breaks his glass, you can hear his glass shatter, as well as the “noise” of the film reel), but his voice is missing. I had to turn on subtitles to understand what he’s saying. But now I’m talking to Marshall and not only is there no dialogue audio, but her subtitles are not appearing, but the player character’s subtitles are.

Gonna stop playing until they fix this.

That happened to me, too. I first noticed it with missing audio on one of those weird kids videos I found. Then the Marshall thing happened, exact same way as you. Quitting the game completely, killing the app and reloading worked for me.

I tried that and no joy.

The best guess is that the game is still assuming to play audio in 7.1, even though the Xbox settings are clearly set for stereo audio.

Well, phooey. Does the game have multiple saves? I can’t remember. If so, did you try rolling back to an earlier save after the relaunch?

I’m really bad at this game, even though I really like it. Fortunately, the granularity on difficulty settings is really good.

Anyone have issues getting DLSS to enable? I played the game already on consoles but with it on Gamepass and me having a new PC since then wanted to check it out with raytracing etc and it wont enable DLSS saying it requires an Nvidia RTX card, I have an RTX 2080 Super.

EDIT apparently it’s a bug with Gamepass and they are looking into it…

I’m getting crashes from time to time on GamePass (one every hour over five or so hours). Things felt more stable after I did a reboot so maybe it’s just that… Not a fan of checkpoint gaming - I replayed the first fight on the Research floor like five times and then of course it crashed before I found a save point. Otherwise I’m enjoying the atmosphere - those hotline videos are pretty atmostpheric although I’m starting to feel they’re all maybe the same couple shots spliced together… And maybe it’s my graphics settings or the angle on the animation but Jesse’s jaw looks like it’s dislocated sideways half the time when she’s talking.

The Xbox 360 version of Alan Wake just got a 411MB update on my XSX a week before the next-gen release of Control. Coincidence?!?!?

Does anyone know if the export option for last gen save games to the new gen versions of Control is available yet?

I think that’s only for Ultimate edition as it has it’s own trophy/achievements. So if you played regular Control I think you gotta start from scratch.

Nevermind, seems like not at all

Ugh. So none of this ended up being true?

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-10-23-upgrading-your-control-ps4-save-to-control-ultimate-edition-on-ps5-is-a-bit-of-a-hassle

I loved Control, but I took a break after the main game before working on the DLC. Then they anger fans by only offering the next gen upgrade for the Ultimate Edition. Then they make it free anyway for PS+ users this month, angering fans who swallowed their pride and bought the game twice.

Now I can’t transfer the save anyway. I think this has completely soured me on ever playing it again. So much for checking out the DLC. What a disaster.

I had a basic game save and it works with the PS+ PS4 Ultimate version.

You can play the DLC on there. That’s what I just did. Foundation was cool.

So why won’t this let me turn on DLSS with a 2080S? It lets me turn on ray tracing effects :/

Just says an RTX GPU is required. Hmm.

Well this is a ridiculously fun game. Why did no-one say?

How far in are you, while it made a great first impression, I felt by late game I wanted it to be over.

I’m working through the DLC at the moment too, and just beat my first expedition! I wish there a few more options or more flexibility in how you make your build, but overall I really enjoyed it.

One strange thing - It’s weird how in the end game they start throwing you these conditional buffs on your mods, like “damage +20% after a melee kill”…like why would i equip this over my flat damage +20%? They seem to weak across the board for late game gear