Cyberpunk 2077 - PC technical thread

For me the major instability happened during a different mission, but the Arasaka hotel one was quite buggy too. I don’t know if the fat grunt was supposed to be a difficult fight, because for me he just completely glitched out and had a sustained seizure in the elevator while I just stood there pumping him full of lead. Felt kind of bad for the poor sod.

Is there supposed to be something other than the bootstrapper listed there?

I don’t think so. From what you described everything seems to be set up for it to start. You can maybe check the Event Viewer to see if you can suss anything else out, but other than that you may have to contact Steam support. That’s weird.

My windows key stopped working too :(

Hmmm, I never had the windows key stop working, but I did have the Start Menu stop working a number of times, it’s a known problem in Windows 10 and creating another user on your computer fixes it.

This was my thread back in 2017, where that worked for me:

But I’m not sure if the Windows key not working could be related to that or not.

Damn. That’s a strange series of issues. I have no idea but I hope you can get it fixed soon.

Your windows key or your start menu?

If windows+R still works, for example, then do this

start task manager (control alt delete for example)
find Windows Explorer. Right click to restart it

If not, then try the stuff below
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-winpc/windows-10-start-button-not-working/765f193c-4c67-4b85-81e0-645dfd29836c

Windows key doesn’t work either as a shortcut, or to bring up the start menu.

Exactly. When I reloaded, he died just as easy, only in the lobby at least.

My keyboard has a switch to turn off the Windows key so it doesn’t ef-up games. Check that?

Yeah, mine works via a function key.

Holy cow! You did it. Yeaaaa thanks!

Now I just have to figure out why I can’t get Steam to auto-load.

From the 1.05 patch notes:

Removed the memory_pool_budgets.csv file. which was not connected with the final version of the game and had no influence on it (it was a leftover file used during the development to estimate memory usage. It had no effect on how much memory was actually allocated). Perceived performance increase after editing the file may have been related to restarting the game.

So the improvements that were being reported were indeed pure placebo, or due to restarting the game.

Hey. I hear that placebos work even if you don’t believe in them. Or some such shit.

You called that one, j!

Hah, oh well.

Alex at Digital Foundry looks at what ray tracing actually gets us.

While it’s really impressive, the main takeaway for me on a technical level is just how good video game approximation techniques had gotten before ray tracing at looking good enough. In each case where he shows ray tracing on and off, it’s amazing to me how ray tracing off looks really good even if it’s not as good. My main takeaway from this is that I’m actually fine not having ray tracing for a while if there’s a large performance cost.

I had the opposite impression. That thumbnail is the most egregious offender, which is why they chose it, but lots of other examples stand out, where people appear to be floating in mid-air due to lack of shadowing. RT is often subtle, and you don’t miss it until it’s gone, but the improvement in realism is huge.

I could see that. It’s an interesting contrast from the first Splinter Cell on the original Xbox. I just remember being floored all the way as I was playing through that game, since it was the first time I’d ever played a game with such realistic shadows and detailed shadows, and I realized for the first time how much shadows add to realism.

Yes and while you don’t necessarily consciously notice when lighting is incorrect, your brain knows how it’s supposed to look. The PC version looks just dramatically better than the YouTube videos I’ve seen of the consoles. They look flat, fake. Tons of detail but not real.