Dark Souls 3

If I’m not going to convert a boss soul into a weapon/item, is there any other reason to hold on to it? Or am I safe to turn it into souls?

I’ve been turning them into souls. If you are going to respec your character for this game or NG+ they can be worth holding on to.

Good to know. So far, I’ve been converting them into weapons to play around with (though none have matched my Sharp Uchigatana +6), but there have been a few that don’t give anything useful for this character.

So, I’m currently 41 hours in at level 73, and trying to work my way through the Irithyll Dungeon. I feel like I must be missing a shortcut or something here because this is feeling like a bit of a slog. The game seems well-paced for the most part, but there have been a few areas (the beginning of both High Wall of Lothric and Cathedral of the Deep as well as this) that seem to go on a little too long without bonfires. I’m committed to continuing on, but it is a bit disheartening to play all I can for an evening and not feel like I’ve made any material progress.

Souls are very easy to farm late in the game, I suggest you use the boss souls for weapons or spells.

I just finished Irithyll Dungeon, and there is only just the one bonfire for it. Instead of more bonfires to kindle, as you progress you find a couple of shortcuts leading back to it. The Profane Capitol right after it is a much smaller area, but does a similar thing with its own single bonfire, at least until you kill the boss.

Man, I am loving the Exile Armor and the Old Wolf Greatsword. Just incredible.

I got the spider shield, and it says it protects against poison How does that work? Shields don’t have resistances like armour does.

It could be a hidden stat, did your poison resist change? I forget how it worked in DS1.

Yes they do. It’s probably a different screen from what you’re looking at. There are shields that defend against lightning and fire that are useful late in the game.

Finally made it to the Irithyll Dungeon, I like the disturbing creature design (big head on bug body thing), and hate the most annoying mob thus far (jailer, I’m looking @ you, damn, I hate them)

No, it stayed the same.

Lighting and Fire are part of Defenses though, which mitigate direct damage. I’m talking about Resistances, which lessen the buildup of the status effects - bleed, poison, frost, curse. I’ve never seen those resistance stats rise from weapons or shields (yet). The spider shield certainly does not visibly increase the poison resist stat, even though it claims to protect from poison. Maybe there is something in play preventing poison damage, but not poisoning itself?

Though the description does say “Shields of this style are commonly used by savage mountain bandits, and offer high resistance to poison”.

If there’s a screen I’ve been missing the whole game so far, I’d love to know about it. :)

Gotcha. I can only assume it protects against direct poison attacks rather than sitting in a swamp. I don’t even know which enemies you’d test that on.

I decided to put the Irithyll Dungeon on hold and turned my attention in the other direction. Aldrich is turning out to be quite the pain in the ass. Five attempts in and I haven’t managed to get him down more than 1/3.

In the swamps are enemies that spit poison (slimes) and cast poison spells (those tall priest creepy dudes) - holding your shield up against those attacks protects you same as holding it against a fire attack by a dragon, for instance.

I guess that also applies to the guys there who hit you with their poisoned shields and spears? Will try it out tonight as I hunt for that 3rd fire to extinguish.

And that’s NG+ wrapped up. Only thing left is to collect the NG++ rings and platinum will be in the bag. I specced into Luck and infused my weapons with Hollow gems towards the end of the run and I’m quite enjoying it. Main weapon are the dual katanas (Onikiri and Ubadachi) and backup is Anri’s straight sword which is basically a regular long sword with luck scaling and weak blessed enchant. Katanas are great at applying bleed which deals a ton of damage - when you come across an enemy where it actually works.

I have to say though, playing an entire run on NG+ without a shield made me realise how stupid the combination of infinite stamina + insane tracking + high poise on enemies really is. And I’ve started to hate spear enemies with a passion of a thousand burning suns.

Did you farm the sentinel covenant items?

Errant signal has made a video about DS3.

Yes. Once I got the crystal sage rapier and covetous gold serpent ring +1 on NG+ it wasn’t really that bad. Maybe 3h total to get the remaining (20+) concords.