Dark Souls 3

Well, I had planned on returning to DS1 once I beat this, yet I’m now six hours into my NG+ and haven’t lost any interest. Maybe I’ll see if I can tackle solo all of the bosses I summoned on my first playthrough?

I do wish they had kept the bonfire ascetic mechanic from DS2. That way I wouldn’t have to do three playthroughs to get these rings. That will be annoying for min-max PvP characters too. I guess I don’t care that much.

My god, this game is so good. Up to the Cathedral of the Deep on NG+ and I’m enjoying it more than my first playthrough. I’ve ditched my +5 Farron Greatsword and Undead Legion Armor in favor of the Firelink armor/sword and I’m loving the combo. I can still keep under 70% load for the quick roll, and while I’m doing a little less damage, the increased attack speed more than makes up for it.

I did all my grinding, so now it’s time to blast through a couple NGs. Using a Zweihander for a bit.

I am currently following the DS3 stream of journalist Jeff Green, he is a really affable fella, but boy does he suck at playing Dark Souls… it is painful to watch, all that button mashing and panic-ing ;) Maybe it is because he is also streaming a lot of Bloodborn, maybe the combat is just not compatible? On the other hand, he is doing better with fighting the bosses, Iudex took him 3 or 4 tries. Take that, Tom! But Tom did a way better job overall in fighting regular enemies and scouting the castle… Kay did her 1st streaming session, I think she will do pretty well. Can’t wait to finish Dark Souls 1 to jump into 3…

I keep on hitting a wall with both characters I built. Both I the same spot. I’m like level 55 and the Smouldering lake is making me want to toss things. So much fire…

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Smouldering lake can be rough in some places but nothing that can’t be overcome. Which creatures are you having trouble with and what kind of weapon are you using?

It’s also completely optional…

Please contain your inner casul, Tim, we’re in a Dark Souls thread. There’s no such thing as optional.

I have a bunch of weapons all which seem to not be helping. :( +6 Dark Axe, +6 Flame Katana (I forget the name), +6 Lightning Barb Sword… It’s pretty much everything on that level that is driving me nuts. Maybe I just need a break. The guys who create the fire orbs take an asston of damage no matter what weapon I have.

Dark Axe should work well, assuming you have the stats to back it up (unless you mean Deep Axe, which doesn’t scale). Those guys with orbs are assholes but there are only 4 of them and and once you clear that particular area and loot the items you don’t have to go back.

I hate those guys. Usually I try to fill them with arrows until they’re mostly done, by which point they’ve probably gotten into melee range. Near one of them is a long stairwell I use for this. The room with two has an overlooking balcony where you can get a bead on them if they’re far enough away, and you’re patient. The last one you’re kind of SOL, but there is a bonfire almost right next to him, so losing isn’t as bad as it might otherwise be.

One piece of advice for that area in general: the black knights don’t really like any of the other inhabitants. If you can lead one over, you might be able to make them a temporary ally.

I found a quick straight sword such as a long sword, broadsword or dark sword, to be useful against them. You can mash R1 and get 3-4 hits in before you back around a corner while they do their fire thing. For the ones on the lower level, you can draw them towards the steps you just came down using something ranged and take them out one by one. What sort of build do you have?

Yeah, they stuck things in some annoying spots, and I think so far the four armed caster goats are probably only second to the jailers on my list of enemies I hate to fight.

But there are a few good items in there. You can probably snag most of the goods with a few suicide runs if you’re inclined.

DS3 came out while I was at Coachella (actually arrived as I was leaving). I suck at DS games but when I got home after a 24 hour drive, I started playing. I was even dozing off during character creation. I then rolled in with my first character and beat Iudex before I died the first time. My DS-fanatic friend still doesn’t believe me.

10 bucks the DLC has something to do with that Gertrude broad a lot of items talk about, but you never see. Also, the Untended Graves Shrine Maid says something about being “lost like that poor girl”. Hmmm…

I just transferred a bunch of rings from my NG++ char to a new one. 1500hp at lvl 20 is awesome.

The fire demon bird… things are a pain. I found the best way to manage them is just chain backstab them. It keeps the orbs from hitting you and they leave themselves open to it quite often. If they ever start to make a fireball, backstab, stops them cold. They have a lot of health, but they don’t really have too many scary moves. Most of the threat is the fireballs that start near them.

Wait, what? You can do that?

Sure, as long as you have a friend to hold the items for you.