Dead Space (no spoliarz)

Cool story and video over at Ars Technica with some development footage of the tentacle sections of Dead Space.

I love the “war stories” series so much! Since we’re 6 years since the last entry, I really hope E.A. return to Dead Space soon. Thanks for posting, divedivedive. :)

I didn’t know the game was considered part of the survival horror genre. I guess I DO like something in that genre after all. I always thought of it as a 3rd person action game.

Well I’d say it has more in common thematically and mechanically with Resident Evil than Gears of War, personally.

I’ll take it! It’s the game that finally made me love survival horror, then. And 10 years later, I realized that fact.

It’s a bit in the middle, imo. It’s a horror action game.

Since I wrapped up my playthrough of Red Dead Redemption 2, I figured I’d go back to what I was doing before that monolith dropped in my lap and play some more Dead Space. And now, the feeling I am experiencing is more annoyed than anything else, oddly enough. I’m in chapter 7, at the point where I need to attach a beacon to a captured asteroid and send it out into the galaxy to broadcast an SOS. And I’ve failed this mission several times - I don’t know how many times the damned rotating blades have chopped me into pieces, but it’s more times than I’ve died to necromorphs, I’m fairly confident of that. It would be ironic if this is what kills my run, but I guess I’ve grown soft in my expectations of checkpoints. Running through the whole process, even if I died at the very end of it, is not fun for me. Argh, putting the game down for a while.

It did take me a couple of attempts to remember how this worked, but most of my deaths are due to failures in execution. I just get turned around going from the ship to the spherical surface and then back again, and it’s just too easy for me to lose track of those armatures until I take a false step and get sliced and diced. I’ll try again tonight, probably. Can’t quit now.

I don’t know what you guys are talking about, but this part absolutely rings a bell. There was a part in the game where I kept trying to use stasis, and it just didn’t work.

Yeah, you turned the “no spoliarz” thread into the biggest spoiler thread that has ever thoroughly spoiled a game. Well done you.

:-P

I recall dieing in that area a lot also. :D

@krayzkrok is the best at spoiling things in a thread specifically about not spoiling things!

He couldn’t even wait 10 years, I mean there are still people who have this in their backlogs!

I guess I’ve been forgetting to post my updates! Not as cool as krayzkrok’s since it’s way hard to take photos and put them on the internets from my Xbox. But I made it to chapter 11, and I’m at the point where I’ve got to get the monolith to the shuttle. I’m winding down with this one, in the home stretch. Really would like to get it knocked out before the big games come out in the next few weeks, so I’m going to buckle down and do it!

overdrift

All right! It’s done! Once again, unto the breach, and damn the torpedoes! Or something. Anyway, I defeated the hive mind a second time, got the last remaining achievements (except one, I’ll come back to that) and claimed victory.

I know it’s no secret that I’m a big fan of achievements, I can be a bit obsessive about them. I want to mention one little thing I really love about them before I go any further. I first played Dead Space on October 19, 2008. I know this because I received my first achievement of the game at that time, called Marksman, wherein I relieved necromorphs of 20 of their limbs. I beat the game on November 9, 2008 - receiving the Survivor achievement for winning on any difficulty. I returned to the game at some point in 2011, because I received the achievement for killing 30 enemies with a melee attack on November 12, 2011, three years later. I also got an achievement for escaping a lurker’s attack 10 times on that same day. Then - I set the game down but came back to it again in 2017, when I got the Ragdoll Check achievement for forcing an enemy into a gravity panel 5 times on November 18, 2017 - six years later. And then in the last few weeks I’ve returned again to complete the game.

Most people probably don’t care much about that kind of thing, but I’ve always enjoyed achievements for their “scrapbooking”, if you could call it that, effect. I can go back and review the history of my gaming experiences. I think that’s cool. And yeah, I know I may be crazy.

I did remember to make an additional save after winning on Impossible difficulty so that, should I so desire someday, I could come back and get that last achievement, Epic Tier 3 Engineer. It’s petty of me, but it kind of galls me a little that @Rock8man has it and I don’t. But I don’t have the guts to try, not right now anyway.

Lot of rumors floating around lately about Dead Space and its possible return as … what? New entry? Remaster? Reimagining? Maybe we’ll hear something at the EA Play event later in the month.

This reminds me I should play Dead Space 2. I’ve heard it’s good.

Also, I’m looking at all these screenshots that krok posted in this thread. The game still looks pretty darned good. No need for a remaster.

Ooh, I need to play the second one. It’s sitting in my Origin account.

I guess if the original is remastered, hopefully they can do the whole game with full real time ray tracing to do all the lighting and shadows. That would be a lot of work though, like what the Metro Exodus team did.

Hmmm. I can’t get either of the two games (DS 1 or DS 2) to launch on my new machine……… starts to load and then CTD’s to desktop before I see anything on the screen.

Anyone else have this problem - and if so, how did you solve it?

I’m running windows 10 on a laptop with an intel 11900H and 3080; tried various compatibility modes and none work.

Thanks @krayzkrok. Very bizarre - not sure I have used CD’s in the last decade! ;-)

I’ll give it a try.