Dead Space (no spoliarz)

Warning: Person playing kind of sucks and waste a lot of ammo.

A part of me thinks the first game isn’t that old and doesn’t really need a remake.

Part of me agrees with you. Another larger part goes, Hooray, the IP isn’t totally dead!

Hate to break it to you but it’s almost 14 years old.

Sure, but the remastered footage still looks like how Dead Space looks in my memory. I’m sure it’s way higher resolution but if you played me that video and told me it was the original I would believe you.

It’s way higher resolution.

But that’s definitely the feeling a remake ought to evoke, IMO.

I find it hilarious that, as @malkav11 pointed out, this thing is 14 years old but I would’ve sworn this is how the game looked when I played.

It just speaks to how good looking and atmospheric of a game it was. I never played the follow-ups though. Anyone recommend them as we wait for this remake to finish?

EDIT: Oh no, I just got to the point where he talks! They are making him talk! That loses a bit of the charm for me lol (I remember that being a big selling point / controversy with the follow-up games).

I’m in the exact same boat. I actually had to google the game to confirm that it is indeed 14 years old, because I’d bet my left nut that it isn’t.

If you liked DS1, then you owe it to yourself to play DS2, it’s arguably even better - maybe a tad more action focused, but the core gameplay is still there.

I’d also recommend Alien: Isolation, it’s the only sci-fi horror game that came out after DS1 that managed to hit the same highs imo.

Yeah, I honestly never even noticed the breathing changes in the original. I mean, I noticed it subconsciously, I’m sure, but it never drew attention to itself and was just part of the flow of the game.

I really need to get back to Dead Space 2 if I ever finish Elden Ring. It’s been really fantastic so far.

It’s a great game, until you have to land on the ice planet. So like 1/3 of a great game.

Word. Probably my favorite horror game of all time. I remember playing through it teeth clenched, always ready for something horrible to jump around the corner. The tension was unparalleled, and it had a really good story, amazing setpiece scenes. I really loved Dead Space, until–exactly as @lordkosc said–I got to the ice planet in 3 and fizzled right out.

I know a lot of people love Dead Space 2. For me it just wasn’t nearly as atmospheric or creepy. I don’t know why. I don’t think it was Isaac talking, and they hadn’t yet gone full dumb-writing-action-game like 3. And there are a few good set pieces…but it just felt like a darker-than-usual sci-fi action game to me and not the tense industrial nightmare of the Ishimura.

Yes! The return of the Ishimura in the second game is one of the best set pieces I can recall. There’s this wonderful feeling that it evokes - like when Ripley realizes that if she wants to rescue Newt, she’s going to have to go into the belly of the beast, to face the queen in her lair. Or maybe like the moment in The African Queen when Bogey, having pulled their boat through shallow water with a rope, comes out of the water covered in leeches - and then realizes that they still have further to go, and he’s going to have to get back in the water and keep pulling. The Ishimura rides that dread hard and withholds the actual release for a long time, and it’s almost sweet when it does. I love it.

But the first game is still better over the long haul, in my books. Plus, it got there first, and that’s usually the one that lives longest in my memories.

Do we need a new thread for the new game? Because we have a release date now, and it’s much sooner than I expected -

I know I’ve already finished this game 3 times, but I’m really looking forward to this remake.

If you’ve played the first Dead Space, a lot of the stuff in this trailer is going to look familiar. I’m guessing they aren’t really changing up much in terms of the plot, locations, enemies and such - just improving gameplay and making it prettier.

I have a warm spot in my heart for Dead Space and Dead Space 2. I even watched the animated movie and got really into the setting for awhile. Looking forward to the remake as well. Definitely a game worth replaying.

I broke into palm sweats just watching that trailer, the first game is still my favorite.

Dead Space is one of my holy triumvirate of sci-fi horror video games (though I’m hopeful that Callisto Protocol may join those ranks). I’m really hopeful this remake adds something new and cool though honestly, I’m just glad the IP didn’t get tossed to the side.

Here’s a playthrough of the early part of the game. At least for what’s shown, it looks nearly beat-for-beat matching the original. Just have a chatty Isaac this time around.