Deep Rock Galactic (now out of early access!)

Kiddo and I played this a few times this weekend…have not played for about a year…back then there was not a lot of variety and the game play seemed too samey…now, wow, lots better, love all the upgrades you can work toward…had a mission where there was so much of that purple goo we had to use out zip lines as much as possible…and the ship came down within 50 meters of our location when we were ready to leave…so that helped…fun times.

This game is good. Solo is quite excellent and doable, at least early on (I’m only level 8) but co-op is a blast. So many memorable runs with a couple friends already, many of which have been hilariously tragic failures.

For example: Last night, I was with a buddy and we were down pretty deep and just finished up the primary collection goal. We had a very nice haul of assorted loots in the MULE and I requested a supply drop (remember this part, it comes back to haunt us) to stock up on ammo before calling in for extraction. At that point another friend joined our call in Discord and we invited him to the mission, his first time playing the game after completing the tutorial… IOW, he was pretty “green”.

Anyway, we waited for him to show up and then pressed the extraction button on Molly. I said “Now we just follow Molly out and try not to fall behind” and off she went, dropping her lighted posts along the way. We had some skirmishes but were making good progress, sort of corkscrewing up and around, back the way we had originally come down. I was in the middle, with our newbie friend bringing up the rear fairly close behind with some bugs making chase. I turned to shoot our pursuers and told the newbie to keep running past me.

No sooner did I say “and watch out for holes” when he suddenly screamed a long “ahhhhhhhhhhhhh” kind of thing …so I spun around to see what’s up and sure enough, he was gone, having fallen into a very deep, perfectly round and straight “shaft” (from the supply drop!) and was now looking up at us in terror from far below and bugs were closing in. I shot a flare down there (I’m a scout) and could see he was fighting for his life… not to mention his screaming for help was sort of a clue.

The timer on lift-off was about 2 1/2 minutes but at DRG we leave no dwarf behind so we bolted back down the way we had just come in hopes off somehow saving him and still getting back to the pod. By the time we got to him, he was down and being chewed on by a few bugs so we cleared them out, revived him, and started back up again and he literally fell into the SAME HOLE AGAIN! Time ran out and we failed the mission but we were laughing the whole time. The funniest thing about this ordeal was the fact that this perfect hole was made by the supply drop directly in our path on the way back!

I’m also having more and more fun with it. And, I go in sometimes solo just on easy levels to relax and mine for upgrades…with the helper bot, he can mine high areas that I dont want to deal with and will do a good job attacking enemies…it’s very relaxing on easy level solo. And I love being able to follow the mule to the drop…didnt have that when we played a long time ago…makes it so much nicer than trying to figure out how to get back to your pod when the thing is a long ways away.

Thanks for the answer on the crystals, guys. Do you have to get creative with the angle (do the hitboxes of the mule and the crystal interfere with one another)?

Anyone up for a game tonight , hit me up on Steam!

When the mule freaks out and the only way to finish the mission and not lose all the XP is via team sacrifice.

I am kind of interested in this game. How easy is it to find people to play with and will I be useless/undesirable on a team without any upgrades?

It’s fairly easy, they sold 1 million copies.

There are different difficulties for a reason. Start at Hazard 2, and then increase it as you gain the upgrades/knowledge about how to play.

When I started playing many months ago, but not at the first release of EA, there were markers dropped by the mule, but they didn’t indicate the direction like they do now, that was modified in an update. I remember how the extraction phase was harder because getting lost was a real possibility, if you weren’t aware you didn’t know what direction was the right one!

Can someone tell me what it is I keep (money and XP wise) and what I don’t when I fail a solo mission? I gather the mission doesn’t get “checked off” till you come back alive, so you have to do it again to get to the next one in the “assignment,” right? I just played my first egg hunt and unfortunately due to the structure of the cave managed to fall to my death on the way back to the drop pod.

Is bosco with you, I see you are playing solo, make sure to upgrade him with revives.

https://deeprockgalactic.gamepedia.com/APD-B317

Yep , someone in the mission party has to make it to the drop pod, for it to be a success.

I strongly suggest dipping your toe into multiplayer, set it hazard 1 or 2, and enjoy!

Noted about upgrading Bosco-- is there a special terminal where I do that? Is it at the same Equipment terminal as other stuff?

But do I not get anything if I don’t come back alive? Or just not as much?

As to multiplayer, so far I’ve only played once with Brian, Spaz and Hunter during their Thursday afternoon/evening LAN party a week and a half ago. It was a lot of fun. I don’t know if I want to play with total randos though. But of I see you’re playing I’ll give a shout-- what time zone? I’m PDT.

I think you get 20% of what you had collected at that point if a mission fails, instead of 100%.

Bosco upgrades are in a separate terminal.

Thanks, I found it. You’re playing it as well? Or did you burn out on it in Early Access? ;-)

I stopped playing just one week before 1.0 release :) but most of the hours were in the previous two months to that, when the game was basically done. I will come back after Summer when they release the big updates they have announced.

You are missing out on quality pickaxe cosmetics.

Played 2 missions with @Papageno tonight, he shows potential, but hasn’t built up his tolerance to multiple beers yet… :)

Hey, your character passed out too, just sayin’. :-p

So the blue field number is your level in a particular class and the other is overall level? What does the overall level confer on the player?

Nothing, it’s just a good way to know if you play with a veteran, or not.

It does unlock things too. Like at player level 8 you get a weekly assignment.