Destiny 2 - I don't have time to explain Bungie's MMO shooter 2.0

Destiny 1’s story was the worst kind of tripe. Totally sub-Halo. Heck, it was sub-Doom. Stuff happened that made no sense even in the limited and vague world they built. On top of that, a lot of details were printed outside of the game in the app.

That said, it apparently got better in the later expansions. I didn’t return so I don’t know.

Man, I tell you what - play through the campaign, probably won’t take all that long, and then post back in here if it made any sense. I mean, Destiny 1 has even less story but it’s kind of a lead in to the sequel at least.

But to answer your question - I really don’t think I’d go to Destiny 2 for story appreciation. Just to try to set your expectations a little.

Hah, nice. Well anyway, I plan to do the level-up and not the elder game. So which class?

Titan is the most tanky.

Titan is tanky, but Warlock, specifically void (subclass) is probably a strong contender for survivability. Super is a powerful ranged AOE attack—very effective on bosses—and the “Devour” sub-sub-class tree will do more to keep you alive than anything else. Triggers on melee kills or by sacrificing your grenade charge, instantly fills your health, counts town ten seconds and every kill you get (by any means) while the timer is going refills your health immediately and resets the timer.

Also their healing rifts are great for surviving.

Just don’t play Hunter. No one likes Hunters.

I mean, the story isn’t the draw, but it’s not bad by any stretch. The campaign is pretty great, actually, if you like the way Bungie makes games. It has some of the better moments they’ve crafted, including HALO.

Crazy talk. Gunslinger hunters are teh awesomest!

I love my hunter

Except that it plays like Halo plays on Normal. If you like the way Halo plays on Heroic or Legendary, you’re out of luck. After you’ve finished the story, they do unlock a more challenging mission replay system where it plays more like Halo on Heroic. But by that time, you’ve already seen all the missions and there’s no surprises left, and you’re already familiar with the story beats.

But basically if you want a more challenging story campaign the first time out, you’re out of luck.

You post about the lack of challenge quite a lot - and that’s not a criticism, just recognition that this is something that clearly bugs you - but I think you may have a fundamental conflict between what you want Destiny to be vs what it really is. I think it’s basically Diablo 3 with an FPS wrapped around it, you run through all the challenges/strikes/raids and get better loot so you can run the challenges/strikes/raids to get better loot. I think the fact that Bungie made this, and that they do shooting so well, almost distracts from the underlying hamster wheel that drives the game.

True, I’m not really interested in the hamster wheel, just the core gameplay. Same with Diablo 3 actually. The moment to moment ‘oh shit, did I just get away with that, I can’t believe it, that was so awesome’. Diablo 3 gets me that when the difficulty is right, and so did Halo on Heroic, and so did Destiny 1 on hard before it was patched, and so does Destiny 2 in the meditations.

Yay I recovered my Light or whatever! Playing it at 2040p @60fps.

So, what’s the qt3 clan for this?

This link should work.

https://www.bungie.net/en/ClanV2?groupid=182193

I have this, do I need to play on the US region to join and play with the US people and any idea on lag to the us.

Well, I appear to be in the clan now, so I’m going to say no. That said, I don’t see anyone else listed as playing on Battle.net yet.

Noob question number one: what’s the symbol in the bottom right that looks a bit like a Windows 10 notification icon?

Done, now it’s the admin’s turn.

Yeah me too.

Bottom right of what?

Repeating a couple things here as advice for new players:

• You should probably save all the Rare (blue) weapon and armor mods instead of applying them to your gear. You wont have much of your gear for long until later in the game (and the mods are permanent, you can’t remove them or get them back, only replace them), at which point Legendar (purple) mods are the way to go in all but the most specialized of situations. And you can trade three of the same Rare mods for a Legendary version, so Rare mods are mostly going to be more useful as materials for Legendaries later on than as bonuses to your current gear.

• Armor and weapons can be shared between all of your characters. Armor can’t be equipped cross-class, but weapons aren’t class specific. You only need to meet the minimum level requirement for weapons to share across all your characters.

• Items are shared too, so things like faction tokens can be traded in by whatever character you want (useful if you’re trying to complete certain armor sets that only certain vendors can give you, for example all my “Arcology” tokens (the tokens for activities on Io) that I earn with any of my characters get turned in by my Titan since I’m trying to get a specific armor set for him.

• Speaking of sharing your inventory, check out destinyitemmanager.com to juggle inventory between the shared vault and all your characters without actually going to the vault in game. Includes extremely useful filtering options and you can even save load outs for quickly swapping gear.

• Learn the public events! All public events have criteria to turn them into “heroic” public events with greater rewards, and I’m not saying you should go google them all right now, but please make an effort to figure them out if you don’t know how already. Some are pretty easy to work out on your own, and in most events you won’t actively screw something up as long as the other players know what to do. But there’s one specific event I hate hate hate because it’s very easy for well-meaning players to end the event and preclude the heroic version without doing anything obviously wrong.