Destiny 2 - I don't have time to explain Bungie's MMO shooter 2.0

Why does Destiny 2 still have such a huge grip on you instant0? Are they holding your family hostage?

It’s a “love/hate” abusive relationship with Bungie I think + the shooting mechanic is good + “collection” ocd.

Playing it with a bunch of guys from the US usually; as a solo game I’d been done ages ago. There recently was a minor content update for it, so there was ‘more stuff to do’, but hopefully my interest will wane soon, at least until the September expansion.

D1 I ended at 937h played.
D2 is at 433h PC and 179h PS4 so still a ways to go to ‘beat it’.

Kinda wish I had more time for Warframe though.

Yeah, I ended up over 1700 hours played for Destiny 1. Destiny 2 is FAR less for me I’m sure, though I haven’t bothered to check.

I’m basically done with Destiny at this point. I’ve dabled in the latest content update since I paid for it, but I just don’t care anymore. Pretty much zero chance I will buy the next expansion.

Destiny 1 definitely stands as a highwater mark in gaming for me though, up there with Monster Hunter Tri, Gran Turismo 5, Demon’s Souls, DCUO and Ninja Gaiden Black.

[quote=“merryprankster, post:1708, topic:129069, full:true”]
Yeah, I ended up over 1700 hours played for Destiny 1. Destiny 2 is FAR less for me I’m sure, though I haven’t bothered to check.[/quote]

I had a lot more hours into the 1st as well - however, I did jump in after the Taken King expansion. As best I can tell, that’s when it really hit its groove, as I could see a LOT of complaints early and through the 1st 2 DLC packs (too small, not addressing things, etc.).

Yeah, Taken King was unquestionably the high point for Destiny 1.

And Destiny 2, apparently.

New expansion trailer had a Murder by Death song, and that made me happy.

Destiny 2 is going to be a free title with plus in september.

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2018/08/29/playstation-plus-free-games-for-september-2018/

Did anyone pick up Forsaken?

The buzz seems very good, similar to the Taken King expansion in how much it improves the gameplay across the board.

No Forsaken, but the other two expansions from last year are selling for $10 for both of them this week on Xbox Live. So i was tempted by that. A little.

I started up Destiny 2 for the first time in months because a friend started playing. I was almost immediately reminded negatively about all the bizarre loot and upgrade hoops to jump through, the nonsensical plotting and the powers that never seem to do all that much. Good shooting, I mean it’s Bungie, but I think I’m done. I enjoy The Division so much more than this.

Yes, but on the PC at the behest of my coworkers. So I’m starting from scratch, only LL ~350, and still working on the War Mind missions. I’d only gotten through Osiris on the PS4, so I’m in territory that’s new to me, but I still don’t really have a feeling for the big picture these days.

I’m vaguely tempted by that too, but… they only way to get Forsaken is by paying the full $60 price (which includes this Expansion 1/2 bundle). You can’t buy Forsaken on it’s own in any way. Fuck Bungie.

I’m liking Forsaken. Hit 530 LL a few days ago. I didn’t play much D2 at release, but picked up again when Forsaken came out and chugged through all of the expansions and had a great time. It’s hard to beat Destiny for a fast-paced run through some light, weird sci-fi. Also, the Forsaken campaign has great character and art design (that feels a bit wasted because it’s over so quickly).

There really aren’t many loot hoops to jump through at this point. Maybe I’m misinterpreting you, but I think the only thing that feels complicated/bizarre is the choice whether or not to boost your gear. The reality is you rarely ever should boost gear because of the cost (a ton of several different resources AND an item of the exact same type and higher LL). It’s almost always easier to just accept the upgrades from quests and not worry about boosting stuff until you get past roughly 540 where you start optimizing for raid and Nightfalls. You can hit 500 by doing pretty much anything you want, and then the only focus after that is to grind the daily/weekly quests with “Powerful Gear” rewards.

Once I hit 500, I just started storing any 500+ exotic/interesting legendary I out-leveled so I could POSSIBLY upgrade them later.

That can’t be right. So the people who bought the full game last year + the expansions later now have to pay another $60 to get Forsaken (which includes everything they’ve already bought)?

Yup.

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/destiny-2

Right now you can spend $60 or $100. That’s the only two options for getting Forsaken.

I think they did a thing where you could pre-order Forsaken alone for $40, but only before release, and you already had to have the first two expansions. Up 'til then the cheapest the Season Pass was on sale for was $20. So… $60.

I don’t get it, why would anyone pay for the same shit they’ve already paid for? Are Destiny fans really that exploitable?

Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me twice, shame on me.

No Forsaken for me.

Bungie/Activision have always done this (at least on Xbone where I play). You pay $60 minimum a year to play. Period.

Until they put the Season Pass on sale earlier this year for $20 (and then dropped the official price to the sale price a few weeks later) they had never discounted the expansion content on D1 or D2. I kind of wondered about that- thought maybe they’d turned over a new leaf, or really just gotten desperate since they’d bled so many players. Really, it turns out they were just preparing for this.

So hey, fuck Bungie.