Diablo III

Gee what a downer! ;)

The funny thing is, the D1 dungeon is timed for January each year. Surely they got something else to fill up those other 11 months for all these years going forward?

Announcing new content for the game almost a year away seems like a bad idea…

If it is coming in December/January, that’d be ok I guess.

Made it to rank 50 in my Hardcore Monk yesterday, but haven’t gotten many set pieces so I’m wary of going past Torment 1. Guess I’ll Rift it to 100 then do some GR for gems, alternatively go public bounties.

Annoying when you’re doing bounties that usually you have one person in each area to speed things up, but that means you’re missing out on 75% of the loot and 100s% of XP.

Rift for loot, bounties for mats! Either way, you won’t be missing out on much XP in pubs - you get XP from the bounties team members complete, so it is just others’ monster kills you miss out on, no biggie. But bounties are all about the crafting mats and pubs speed the overall clear rate dramatically.

Have you claimed Headrig’s on a a SC toon already?

The gifts you get for completing chapter 2,3,4 you mean? Yea, the first four items - Working on gearing up to do Torment IV.

They did say that they’re adding the music from D1. It’s also supposed to randomly mix the tracks into the music played during adventure mode.

Tom recently said in article or video that you have to play as the Witch Doctor if you’re going to play Diablo 3, and that’s one class I never really tried out past throwing spiders and frogs, so I decided to dip back into the game on the Xbox One by starting a new character last night.

I’m level 8 now, and obviously still throwing jars of spiders. But I don’t really understand what is going on with my character. So no matter what weapon I choose, bow or club or knife or sword, my main attack is either poison darts or throwing jars of spiders. So how does the weapon I choose affect that? If I have a bow that does more DPS than a knife, for example, I should equip the bow, and then throw my spiders and my spiders will do more damage depending on the DPS of my weapon? Is that how it works?

For all classes, doesn’t matter what class, your weapon dictates your base damage. Then the modifier for your “weapon damage” draws from that. Your spiders do 80% of weapon damage for example, or whatever, that’s literally 80% of the equipped weapons damage. Want your spiders to do more damage? Get a harder hitting weapon. You’ll attack with said weapon when you are low on resources and try to use an ability that costs more than you have.

Is there a way to see this stat somewhere on the interface? Maybe I’m missing it, but I didn’t see any way of seeing in the skill selection screen what each of these skills actually do in terms of damage as related to your weapon.

Some googling led to some leads. On the official forums people say you can turn on Advanced Tooltips, which let you know how much damage a skill does in relation to your weapon and your main stat. However, others on the Blizzard forums said in 2014 that the advanced tool tips were wrong and had outdated information that was no longer accurate for a long time. And that included the console versions of the game on PS4 and XB1. So I’m not sure if that has been fixed yet, or if I should rely on it.

I can’t speak for the console version, but the numbers are correct in the PC version and always have been as far as I’m aware.

You get to throw jars of spiders and exploding frogs. What is there to understand besides IT’S AWESOME?!

The funny part is, for the other classes, the skills used to kill enemies so fast, I never felt the need to know how much damage each skill did. But with the Witch Doctor, every enemy takes so long to kill with each skill, it would be really useful to know which of the skills is the least bad.

What? I dunno what you’re doing man, but my WD is a murder machine. MURDER.

Until you get some of the unlocked runes, the basic WD skills aren’t going to light the world on fire. That’s pretty true of every class, at least to me.

It’s also very different if you are starting for realsies from scratch, without the benefit of things like gems etc. Gear is 99.9% of Diablo, and the stuff you are going to find on your first run through, especially at low levels is going to pretty much suck.

/shrug. My WD is fairly ridiculous, and I can sort of tool around maps and yawn, and everything dies. Keep with it.

God yeah, I forgot about runes. Keep it up Rock8, the WD is just amazing.

@Rock8man, you’ll likely want to turn on Advanced Tooltips ASAP. There’s nothing advanced about them, it’s just basic fucking information, like how much damage your ability does. Same with the “advanced” feature where you can actually pick multiple skills of the same category. You basically have to take the language in this game as if it’s written for Grandma’s First RPG.

Other than that, Witch Doctor damage is fine and comparable to other classes, it just comes down to your weapon. Weapons in D3 are just stat sticks, they don’t do anything mechanically on their own.

In D3, weapon DPS is king - everything scales from that (for the most part, until you get to 70 and start equipping sets with other item interactions). However, while leveling and presuming non-legendary, always equip the best DPS weapon you have and as soon as you get one with a socket, insert a ruby. Rubies will typically out-perform Emeralds until you actually begin to work on your crit chance which you won’t really do until you are 60+ and moving towards endgame content and torment levels.

Every five levels or so, craft a new weapon at the blacksmith if an improvement has not dropped as you can easily fall behind the DPS curve if your current weapon’s ilevel is too low. You should have plenty of mats if you have been salvaging.

And yeah, I also find WD underwhelming until some of the skills and runes begin to open up. At max leve. they are epic beasts with the right builds though.

It’s the same for wizards, you can totally stick a sword in their hand but they’re still going to shoot enemies with those ice laser thingies. Also you don’t want those notification doodads, that’s just screen clutter. Unless you’re a numbers geek, in which case you would have already had those all those damage indicators active.

What is the right build for a WD? I have tried them several times and always find them tedious and boring. It seems like they kill stuff so slow compared to other classes.

So what are the skills to take with what ruins?

As others said, the advanced tooltips show that. But if you want more stats, don’t forget the Details button!