Diablo III

Yeah, particularly when you are running in full on defence mode with Crystal Fist, as too much attack speed can have a tendency to deplete your Sweeping Winds stacks, killing a good portion of your mitigation (and DPS). Hence LoH is even worse as you can’t attack faster than SW replenishes anyway! I preferred to run Vengeful Wind for that reason, but once you get to a certain GR, you will need the extra mitigation of the Fist.

I was struggling with semi-regular near deaths on T8 but I seem to have fixed that by boosting my resists. I now have 5 diamonds socketed (nothing über fancy, just imperials I think, since you don’t get a massive increas per step.) I also swapped a rune from regen to one that boosts resists.

So, I gave up some vitality and life per second, but the damage I’m taking is much less spiky now. I think I’m going to check my gear and see if I have any pieces that could roll all resists that don’t have it.

I also often find the Esoteric Alteration and Moratorium legendary gems good interim choices for spiky damage mitigation while you are filling out gear. Very few builds use them once gear complete, but they can be handy on the way.

I am using moratorium (with trapped and powerful) which also helps, I’m sure, but it didn’t feel like it was doing much good until I brought the resists up.

And if you are getting whacked by some of the non-spike DoT damage elites put out, like arcane sentries, acid pools, molten, etc, staggering damage is of much less use!

Yeah I should have mentioned, my issue hasn’t been with elites, but with running past normal mobs. Elites are usually dead before they can do much. Running past groups of regular mobs, I’d get crazy damage spikes from time to time.

Yeah, that’s pretty glass cannony. I presume you are on the hunt for another couple of mitigation pieces.

I kind of have that problem with T13 at the moment. I deal with elites pretty well and the build scales damage mitigation with stand and deliver channeling, but the journey between packs can be pretty spiky, particularly when it seems every every fracking rift is packed with spear-chucking goatman, fireball-throwing succubi and spike-hurling quill fiend.

RNG my ass.

Well, I am currently using focus and restraint, with a hellfire amulet and the passive from Band of Might ( damage resist after leap, which I just gambled yesterday). My previous jewelry passive was Rogar’s (increases regen by %life lost).

I have the ring from Traveller’s Pledge, but not the amulet. If I could find the amulet, I could wear that along with another Rogar’s (or something else) and keep the band of might passive. That would be a more defensive setup, but my offense would take a considerable hit, especially since I don’t stand still that much). But I might be able to compensate by, for instance, swapping out the amethyst on my weapon for an emerald.

I think I’d also be losing two ancients by making that switch…

Ah, Might of the Earth set. Simple solution, really. Always. Be. Leaping. :D

Focus and Restraint is fine for that build. But, you are your most vulnerable when leap is on cooldown. You need a big fury spender to reset leap as soon as possible (2 piece bonus) - Ancient Spear - Boulder Toss is the usual go to. Think you may have mentioned you already have the Lut Socks for extra leaping. You also want the fury gen on earthquake passive (triggered by leap) so you are generating lots of fury to expend on the boulder toss and in turn reset cooldown.

Leap needs to be on Death From Above for the stun, paired with Ancient Parthan Defenders for the resultant damage mitigation. I also ran a high level Esoteric Alteration on that build.

Leap, leap, leap, shout, boulder toss, rinse repeat…if anything is left alive. Such a fun build.

I actually just swapped out Parthan Defender yesterday for Bracers of Destruction. I know Boulder toss is the go to for that build, but I am using seismic slam and whirlwind instead. A barbarian build without leap and whirlwind isn’t a barbarian build as far as I’m concerned. And yes, building fury is not an issue.

I might end up swapping out bane of the powerful for esoteric alteration or something of that nature.

I didn’t tool around with the Seismic Slam version. Whirlwind is not really a good choice for the Might set, tbh - it won’t be doing any damage and is not a fast spender, so won’t be helping reset CD. All you are probably getting out of it, I am guessing, is some healing via Blood Funnel? Better off with Ground Stomp, which is at least boosted by the 6-set and is a generator so you can pop Slam again.

Or switch to Wrath of the Wastes, but I hated that set! ;)

Whirlwind is for mobility and healing (as you guessed). The most dangerous circumstances in this game are getting trapped by enemies or in ground effects. I simply won’t play a barbarian without it. And it spends fast enough, while moving. It’s actually on my left-click.

So, between the changes yesterday, and rolling all resist on my helm, and switching resist to physical on bracers, I’ve gone from struggling with 8s to breezing through 9+ (just ran a GR42). Elites and champs aren’t quite dead before I can finish leaping, but it’s nice to actually have a reason to use seismic slam.

What’s the point of the ‘season rebirth’ feature? Why would you want to take an existing character back to level 1 for a season?

So you can reuse the character name that you like.

You can do that anyway. If you want you can give the same name to all your characters.

You know, I knew this was the case, but hadn’t realized just how big of an impact it was. Actually looked at my sheet toughness listing, and between the iron impact rune and band of might, it goes up by nearly a factor of 9 when I leap.

After struggling with the MotE set dungeon, I decided to put the Immortal King set together. Took a couple of days, but I managed to get the set together and mastered the dungeon in one go with about 2 and a half minutes to spare. Sooooo much easier.

The biggest reason seems to be that it keeps your /played time for the character, if you want to track such things.

Well, also you only get 12 slots, so rebirth saves you from using one.

The rebirth feature always seemed completely useless to me.

I use it always, quicker than deleting or killing my character to start it again in next season.