Diablo IV - A Return To Darkness

I guess technically some of the Arcane sorceress spells might qualify!

I always see cherry-picked comparisons like this between D2/D3 and think to myself: I remember a lot of fighting neon-coloured megamaggots under the burning sun of a hot desert in D2. Where’s that screenshot. Or those dumb looking trees from act 3.

Also; cartoon cows (one of two endgame activities).

People remember what they want to remember.

D3’s writing was awful, though.

To be fair, Diablo 3 was originally a LOT brighter in color/art than what hit at launch, due directly from the criticism leveled at it when it was originally revealed. Much like the first take on Sonic for the Sonic movie, people were pretty unhappy and it was retooled into what we ended up getting. Whimsyshire is actually a nod to that original style.

I just grabbed a couple of the images that popped up on a Google search. The D3 shot is one from the store page so if it was cherrypicked by anyone it was them.

EDIT: Here’s Diablo 3 screenshot vs. the maggot lair, though.

There’s nothing wrong with the Diablo 3 art. From a production value point of view the game was pretty fantastic. The look combined with the writing just kind of felt like “The WoW crew makes a Diablo game!” which is one of the many reasons it didn’t appeal much to me. And there was likely some truth to that, given the Blizzard North people were all long gone.

In any case, this is all been hashed out a million times. Bring on D4 and we’ll see what they have in store for us this time.

D3 had a brighter color pallette overall, sure, but it was appropriately grim and dark where it needed to be. You know, graveyards and zombies still looked like they were supposed to.

I think people just missed the grittier look of the first two games which was indeed very different, but it’s not like 3 looked like a Mario game.

Also, I’m playing D2 now, the remastered edition, and some of the dungeons are too fucking dark, like can’t-always-spot-the-exit dark.

The number of mods/reshade profiles out there that go for “pitch black nights” or whatever seems to indicate a lot of people like that. I don’t mind being able to see things I’m supposed to be seeing, myself.

I really wish I could turn off the day/night cycle in FS22. The lights are useless (especially on trucks), even with mods. Screw pitch black nights.

The “WoW crew makes a Diablo game” is a great way to describe it and is why it didn’t sit well with me.

I didn’t mind the look at all. It was the systems. The new one looks promising, though.

It also explained why I didn’t like 4th ed D&D.

Yeah, D&D 4th was a massive disappointment. WoW ruins everything it touches!

Blizzard North didn’t make Diablo 3 and it showed.

Some people must have liked it.

You monster, why would you bump this thread with Diablo 3 news!? I thought there was coo Diablo 4 news waiting for me!

EDIT: LOL Oh, I see - everyone has been talking about Diablo 3 for like 2 days! Carry on I guess…

I did. I enjoyed it when it was new, but it wasn’t anything special. After a year or so it was a great fun though. It’s still no Grim Dawn, but I very much enjoyed my time with the game.

You must be new here. :-P

It feels like it some days.

Anyone else think it is nuts that the Collector’s Edition doesn’t come with a copy of the game itself?

Yes! WTF is up with that?

It’s a thing that other companies have done. Apparently, it’s so they can manufacture one Collector’s Edition box, without having to pack in the various versions of the game - one for PS5, one for Xbox, one for PC, etc.

I feel like there could be a better solution there than “we didn’t pack in the game!” like even a key you can redeem on blizzard.com to get a copy for whatever platform you specify. I’m sure we have the technology.