Diablo on the PC, 1996-2017, beloved videogame cherished by millions, R.I.P.

Are there iframes on the dodge move?

that’s just it though, they basically redesigned it to BE a twin stick shooter. It works amazingly well and brought me back to playing the game. Also having a dodge that has a purpose makes the game feel more actiony to me which I like.

Ah, ok. I suppose that makes sense then. Seems like having a dodge skill would make the escape-type skills less necessary for kiting or getting out of a crowd…or did they change those too?

They pretty much changed everything. But the dodge doesn’t make any of the skills redundant. That was my concern as well.

-Tom

It’s pretty simple. Before Diablo 3, I had never played an ARPG with a controller and was sure it made no practical sense and would completely ruin a game series I had been playing for over 15 years.

After Diablo 3, I wouldn’t go back. The direct control of the characters, the dodges, the clever mapping of the controls make me feel much more involved in the game and are beautifully thought out.

And yes, the movement skills are still an integral part of staying​ alive and chaining big combos.

My wife hates controllers and never plays console games. She plays Diablo 3 exclusively on the console. It’s that good.

And the coop multiplayer on the big screen is awesome.

Dismissing it without having tried it makes no sense. Blizzard knows what it’s doing.

Wendelius

It’s been a couple years since I played—only ever played it on the PS4—and I had a great time. You could almost convince me it was always a console game first and foremost. But once I got into “very early endgame” and started looking up playstyles and builds for my monk, it became obvious that some moves and strategies were still only viable with a mouse and keyboard.

I’ve forgotten the specifics, and maybe things have been adjusted since, but at the time the popular builds for the monk were built around his dash attack/move, and directing it with a precision that just wasn’t possible on the console. I want to say it was something like on the PC you dashed to directly where you clicked (within a maximum radius) and on the console you could only ever dash the full maximum distance in whatever direction you pushed the stick, losing control over both the distance and precise control over the direction. Something that doesn’t matter if you’re just running through the story, but when you’re playing right up to the edge of the difficulty you can handle, it really just wasn’t an option on the console.

TLDR; you could play the console forever and love it and not know what you’re missing, but there was still stuff in the game that relied on a mouse+keyboard if you were going to get serious about endgame.

In my mind, yes; On Blizzards mind I would think it is sort of a gray area. Now that the money-market is gone from the game, they have even less of a reason to ban anyone from reading the game memory and drawing pixels on the monitor, but who knows. As long as you don’t advertise it, you should be ok.

It certainly helped me optimize my game when I could see exactly how much damage my abilities would do (fairly extensive tool-tips when you mouse over abilities would do… etc)

I played Diablo 1 on PS1. D2 was PC, and I have no idea if 2 was offered on a console or not. D3 being on both seems logical to me. I hope they continue with options for everyone.

What is that tool, btw?

Turbohud:

From playing around with it tonight, you need to run the 32-bit client to use it.

Interesting, I see their old forums were taken offline for this “reason.”

“WITHOUT LIMITING ANY OTHER PROVISION OF THIS AGREEMENT, PROBOARDS RESERVES THE RIGHT TO, IN PROBOARDS’ SOLE DISCRETION AND WITHOUT NOTICE OR LIABILITY, DENY USE OF THE WEBSITE AND/OR SERVICES TO ANY PERSON FOR ANY REASON OR FOR NO REASON AT ALL, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION FOR ANY BREACH OR SUSPECTED BREACH OF ANY REPRESENTATION, WARRANTY OR COVENANT CONTAINED IN THIS AGREEMENT, OR OF ANY APPLICABLE LAW OR REGULATION.”

Good that the found a new home on ownedcore, even though that is a messy site.

Nope dead serious. The controller setup works superb for this type of game. Just the simple truth.

Thanks then, your response just brings back more nostalgia.

It is known. Started up a witch doctor for the PS4 season and it’s been a lot of fun so far. Wish they had these implemented all along!

Uncool to omit the xBox One from the article.

I started up a Monk on XB1

I really wish I could use all the console bits on the PC game. Why can’t I use my controller! I tried to figure out how to do that a couple years ago and it seemed like it was an unplanned and impossible feature to add. Has that changed at all?

No change. PC is designed for kb&m and will stay as such.

On a side note, I’m just jealous that I don’t have a console and this to play on it, as I’m sure I would put about 1000 hours into it.

I also really enjoy the Nemesis feature on consoles