Diablo on the PC, 1996-2017, beloved videogame cherished by millions, R.I.P.

Can I add Internet spammers to my growing list of people who really need to get struck down by meteors?

Meteors are slower than Tom…

Yeah Jesus that was fast.

I feel like a PS4 at this point would make my life better as I loved PC DIII. Where is my credit card?

Probably attached to your amazon account already :)

Since Tom made this thread, I’ve really been itching to get this for PS4. But I want it digitally, and it hasn’t been on sale yet, dammit. Looks like I missed it for $20 a month or so ago.

I remember playing Torchlight 2 (my first experience with a dungeon crawling ARPG) and being absolutely horrified by the mouse and keyboard controls. It’s not necessarily the hardware so much as the control scheme itself. Like, I was very verbal about it over voice chat to my friends. “What is this carrot-on-a-cursor control scheme guys?” “Oh, that’s the standard for these types of games.” “Really? Ooof.”

Eventually I stopped playing because I just couldn’t stomach it. Give me direct control a la Gauntlet, FORCED, Helldivers etc. any day, on controller or M&K. I played the demo of Diablo 3 on PS3 a few years back and thought it was so much more intuitive and fluid and… empowering, I suppose. I was in control of my character rather than a carrot.

Diablo III is one of the best console ports of all time. I have played hundreds of hours on the PC, played it when it first came out during the Auctionocolypse, then found the game again with seasons, and finally picked it up on PS4 so I could couch co-op with the family… And that was close to the last time I played on my PC. In fact, the only reason I gravitated to the PC version at all was because of the season play with friends. Now that this feature is also on console, it makes it the best version of the game. Controls are better, ui is better, inventory management is better, It’s just all round better. The only possible drawback to playing on the couch is that I don’t have an ultra wide tv =) So, put me in the converts pile please. Nay-sayers really need to try it before they disregard it. Everything Tom put in his article is spot on. And I would even add the noticeable flow of the game being more fluid as a plus as well.

They did so much work on the console version, it would be awesome if they just ported it back onto PC :P They keep saying they can’t just add controller support for the PC version so…well…just give me the console version then.

That would be nice. I know Path of Exile is doing something similar by releasing a different version on the Xbox. I’d love to play Path of Exile: Controller Edition on PC, even as a separate game.

True story.

I too played hundreds of hours on the PC in a genre I thought I was done with and in a period of my life that if I spend 20 hours on a game it is a lot. All of this console praise and the ability to play with my kiddies has me searching my budget (which is really only in my head and I think some money just freed up!).

The console is far cheaper now than I remembered. I wonder what my wife would say…I could tell her it was a stress purchase and beg forgiveness once the kids and I are having a blast.

EDIT: Amazon to Tyler: Get it by tomorrow…if you order in the next 2 hours and 56 minutes.

xBox spring sale has reaper of souls ultimate evil edition for <$20 starting today (with gold)

PS4 has a pretty nice collection of exclusives at this point, in the unlikely scenario you ever tire of D3… ;)

Among other influencing factors, this thread helped convince me I want/need/deserve a PS4 and MORE Diablo III goodness. So thanks @tomchick, et.al.!!! :D

How well does this play 3 player locally? I only have 2 controllers on the way in total…guessing I need a third as I have two childrens.

Please get with 3, though things on screen for sure get VERY busy!

DONE! Now to fight over who gets which color! The kids are SOOOO excited. Yay things! That’s what it’s all about. ;)

If I come over and bring a fourth controller, can I join in with you guys? I need to level up my witch doctor*.

Diablo 3 same-screen co-op is so good, and it really brings the game to life in a whole new way. Because you can jigger the difficulty in Diablo 3 at will, I’ve been able to play with a six-year-old tagging along behind three adults, just sort of mopping up and having a grand old time driving his little dude around. Which is part of why it works so well. The difference between active control and dragging a character along behind a cursor can’t be overstated. I totally get why some people are thoroughly invested in the PC version, but I could never go back.

-Tom

* Remember: Time spent playing Diablo 3 not playing a witch doctor is time wasted!

Any time! :)

Well, it came in. Both the 16 and 11 year old daughters loved Diablo III and we all got up to level 35 or so over the weekend. It definitely made a time of challenging transition in our house also a time of excitement as they could not wait for it to show up. We do have an IPad and DSes and they play games on the PC, but I had forgotten about the excitement of having a console and the leap from the PS2/Wii days to the PS4 Pro is significant, obviously. I still feel a little guilt at buying an expensive toy (which doesn’t make a lot of sense and is pretty stupid as I have pissed money away on far less reasonable purchases in my adult life) I am happy to have some fun in the house. My oldest already used a birthday gift card to order No Man’s Sky. The youngest wants Overwatch as a neighbor has it on his XBox. I want City of Mordheim as it runs like crap on my PC. :)