Disney Buys LucasFilm

Has there been any believable confirmation of the Abrams thing yet? So far, all I’ve seen is one site saying “we have a secret guy who says this,” and another site saying, “yep, we have a guy too.”

That being said, the lack of denial makes it seem pretty solid.

It was front page on Variety, so I’d expect that someone would’ve denied it by now if it were false.

You don’t want to know how many Joe Bidens there are.

You just have to remind yourself that the Star Wars franchise can’t get any worse. Can it.

What i mean is that even though i found the new Star Trek (not seen the latest ST 2 one, that might be awesome) completely forgettable (as in completely, i’m not even sure what the plot was about now, or any details - it was all fast action explosion scenes, one after another), i also found the new Star Wars movies completely forgettable (except for Jar Jar Binks, and well i really wish i could forget that).

So yeah, it can’t get worse. JJ Abrams, Ben Affleck or whomever. This is the age of ‘dumbing down’ in all media, so expect ‘stupid’ (but flashy looking) over ‘deep’ etc. Will we ever have a repeat of the awesome that are epsiodes 4-6?

It seems extremely unlikely, i don’t think the right kind of directors and movie people come out of Hollywood anymore, so expect more action big explosion stuff. The story-telling, expert pacing, exploration aspects of movie making are long gone, sadly. Treasure your episodes 4-6.

He’ll probably do a reboot and Jar Jar Binks will replace Yoda and Luke will be played by Robert Patterson and will sparkle. Not expecting much from this at all. :(

It’s well established that the Force lets people see the future to some extent such as Yoda, Palpatine, and Qui-Gon saying that reacting to events before they happen is a Jedi trait. It’s every bit as canon as midichlorians. So when Luke fulfills the prophesy which Anakin failed to complete by restoring the balance between the Light and Dark sides of the Force and mastering powers of both sides it stands to reason he will discover previously unknown powers, such as time travel.

Then in the next movie we find out Luke…
Star Wars Episode VIII: Lust of the Jedi

…is his own father.

No. That’s not true. It’s impossible.

His own grandfather, though, now that could fit into canon.

I always felt like (in movie-canon), Anakin did bring balance to the force. All but two Jedi are killed (Yoda and Obi Wan), making them equal with Darth Vader and Darth Sidious numerically (and, given the relative balance between Yoda/Sidious and Vader/Obi Wan, probably in terms of power level, too). If anything, Luke fucked it all up by [temporarily] bringing the field to 1-0, Jedi take all.

Of course, then books/comics/games show us that there were a few dozen hidden Jedi and Dark Side apprentices running around in the corners of the universe at any given time, so who the hell knows, really.

Nah, because Leia is the evil twin, so it’s still 1-1.

They actually go that route with her kids.

Yep. The JJ Star Trek reboot solidly bumped that franchise to the top over Star Wars in the head to head lifetime achievement category. I was born in '68, Star Wars was as much a part of my youth as anyone’s, having seeing all three films on the big screen on release day in Times Square’s Loews Astor Plaza (RIP).

But time and sequels have dulled the franchise, whereas Star Trek kept getting better. JJ Abrams is all over the place these days. I don’t like his TV shows, but I certainly dug Star Trek. Star Wars should be a great ride, and it can’t be worse than eps I-III & VI.

Sorry, this is crazy talk. Star Trek is, at best, wildly uneven.

Insurrection and Nemesis are better than Wrath of Khan?

Sorry mono, i have to agree with garin on that. The new Star Treks were completely forgettable for me, way too much focus on fast paced action (which was part of the problem with the new Star Wars films). Hollywood has become all about the technical feat of massive special effects (for the most part) and rapid pace (to supposedly not bore viewers with short attention spans?) and i rate all the previous Star Trek movies over any of the new ones (so far, not seen the upcoming one yet).

Better characters, better story, better pacing, better feel for the history of the series. The new stuff just wizzes by in a blur of expensive action sequence special effects, then it’s over and your leaving the cinema. I just don’t know who the new Star Trek characters are, why they were rushing about all over the place, and to be honest i don’t care. Exactly the same issue i had with Star Wars episodes 1-3.

And it’s not just films that suffer from this, games, TV and all media is mostly these days shallow fluff that looks good but leaves little impact. We are being ‘dumbed down’ across the board.

I’d like to think that maybe Peter Jackson could do a decent new Star Wars, but then he did do King Kong also and that was pretty meh and maybe sci-fi isn’t his thing? So yeah i don’t see the breed of director coming along that can make anything other than the shallow but pretty stuff, and all those now old directors that could do better have mostly gone to pot too (spoiled by money/fame etc?).

Star Wars IS episodes IV-VI (the ewoks are not so bad really, compared to Jar Jar etc), and that is all they ever will be imo.

Going on his other stuff JJ Abrams has about a 10% chance of doing anything as good as Episodes IV-VI, we will most likely get slightly different versions of episodes I-III. It’s not that he is a bad Director exactly, it’s just that we can only seem to make certain types of films these days.

Zak, when you say “the new Star Treks” what are you talking about? The JJ Abrams Star Trek including a movie none of us has seen yet? Anything after the 60’s TV show?

I’m just trying to nail down your objection.

The new Star Wars movies are horrible but at least Lucas has some overarching plot in mind, he’s just so completely out of touch he hasn’t the foggiest idea how to actually make the movie in his head, and most of the emotion in the films comes not from acting but from the lighting and set pieces. The problem with JJ Abrams is that he seems indifferent to the plot and uses it as a skeletal framework to hang all these bits of fanservice character development on. He’ll probably think “what these nerds want to see are blue girls and lightsabers, Luke and Leia and Vader” and then contrive some plot to make this happen. For all his failings, at least Lucas wanted to tell a story, hammy thought it was.

Honestly, all I want to see is one good space battle that makes sense, is the focus of the action, and has consequences if it fails They have not done that since Episode IV. For all the Jedi mumbo jumbo, the light-saber battle in Episode IV was less a battle and more character advancement. The real action was all up in space where it damned-well needs to go again.

My list so far:

-No time travel
-Awesome space battles

On the upside at least they can ignore a lot of the rubbish added in Ep 1-3 as “lost history”.

Where does Abrams Star Trek debut fall in the whole pantheon of Star Wars/Star Trek. Here is my rating

SW V: ESB
ST II: WoK
SW IV: ANH
ST: Abrams (not too bad)
ST VI: RoTJ
ST IV: TVH (Whales and hippy Spock)
ST VIII: FC (Borg)
ST V: TFF (even worse that SW I to III)

I would also put Star Trek 9 (Insurrection) below all of the prequels. I hate that movie.

I’d rate ST I and III higher than any of the Next Gen movies which were all incomprehensibly bad.

SW IV
SW V
SW VI
ST II
ST I
ST III
SW III
SW I
ST IV (the only movie out of all of them that was done for the lulz, so it gets extra points).
SW II

Star Trek died after IV. V+ were just straight to DVD schlock.

New ST fits… hmm. I really didn’t like it honestly, i thought it sold out the series. If you liked the Apple store aesthetic and action movie thing it had going it’s probably higher than ST III in my list, but i hated the nonsensical plot and deep as a cardboard box characters (whose only growth and elaboration was going against their previously established personality. Plus cameo death.) and like it less than even the new SW trilogy. I would put it above any of the STs after IV though.