Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Use more elements than Captain Planet!

I played Fort Joy as a completionist before leaving. That included scouring the whole island for every encounter and scrap of loot. After that, I was able to kill almost every magister and critter in the keep and under it – but they were still tough fights. The only ones I left alive were the fire bugs, because… well, talk to them,

At least some of your issues may be resolved be ensuring that, anytime you talk to any kind of animal or monster, use a character with Pet Pal.

ok, i’ll try that. I forget that one of my party members has that.

Hmm, I can’t speak to them, even with the Pet Pal character. I don’t get the talk icon and they attack when I get close.

It’s the first one, when you enter from the dungeon. She’s the one who talks, at least as I remember it. She has a quest for you, too.

(I assume we’re talking about the Fire Slugs under Fort Joy).

Yep - I think I know what happened. Earlier I tried to sneak and got caught. but I fled from battle. I can talk to the one, but everyone else is hostile.

This has to be the best looking party based RPG. I love the art in this game.

Now that I’ve been playing a little while I thought I’d say a couple things. I just got to Driftwood.

First the Pros

Like I mentioned above, this game is very attractive. I like the colors and details throughout the areas I’ve visited. Also the music is top notch.

The writing and story seem much better than the first one. Still some humor but not as silly. The characters seem believable and interesting. I’ve enjoyed the dialog.

Like the first, the basic action point system is good. Some characters can move farther. It’s flexible with moving and attacking. Can get opportunity attack ability

Negatives

It seems like too many enemies have ranged abilities, or the ability to teleport. To me it makes the battles a little too fluid. I prefer a more static line and some party members needing some protection.

I’m still not a fan of all of the elements aspects to combat, but I kinda knew that going in.

It seems like there is just a lot of junk in inventory. I guess it is crafting stuff, but I never really felt the need or desire to pay attention to it. I mostly just wish it wasn’t there.

Overall

I’m mostly and having a good time with it, but I feel a little bogged down at times. It’s hard to explain.I was reluctant to post because lately I’ve hard difficulty getting into these party based RPGs. I feel much of it is a me thing. Maybe my time has come and gone with this genre, but I’m very curious how turn based PoE 2 will be. I don’t want to quit, but I can tell I will have a hard time making it until the end. I did finished PoE 2 rtwp, but I think part of that was because it got so easy it didn’t take much effort.

Robo are you playing with a 4-lady group? Or are you Lone wolfing two? Just wondering because I aim to get back to it soon, and btw I am not a fan of the "elements: stuff either/

I’m running with Lohse, The Red Prince, Ifan ben-Mezd, and Fane. From a story standpoint I like all the characters.

I haven’t played since my last post 19 days ago. I’ve got 35+ hours into my current game. There have been numerous times I thought of playing and just couldn’t pull the trigger. The thought of looking at my scads of inventory items is off putting. I think I’m going through a similar phase like I did with 4Xs. 4Xs used to be one of my primary genres and now I play them sparingly. Party-based cRPGs also used to be one of my main genres but I think I just can’t handle some of the tedium that goes along with them. Aren’t I supposed to become more patient as I get older?

I still like games with tactical battles, but most of them don’t have the same level of drudgery for inventory management that games like DOS do.

Wow, for reasons like that and that game, you more or less describe part of my weekend. I got as far as the profile set up and just couldn’t quite bring myself to redo Act 1 (have not played since enhanced).

This is one of those games I can only jump into if I feel I can really dedicate some time to it. Everything you do takes so long to accomplish (especially if you happen to launch combat) that it’s simply not ever going to be a game that you can play casually.

I’m only 20 hours in and moving through it slowly, rarely playing a session where I have more than one or two battles. I don’t so mind having a lot of inventory items, I just wish I didn’t have to constantly shuffle them around from character to character because my PC is too weak to handle what she picks up.

I can’t even imagine this.

“Originally Original Sin 2 had a map for the human lands, one for the dwarven lands, one for the undead, basically for each of the races present in the game. What you’re looking at here is a map of the human lands, which contains the city of Arx, Driftwood, and Fort Joy, all on one map. Which is essentially the entire game. That gives you an idea of the level of cuts that we had to do.”

That’s insane. I’m 27 hours in and just got a ship moving to leave the island.

I just bought this game on GOG’s Summer Sale 2019.

Couple of questions:

1. 1Can you start on an easier difficulty setting and than turn it harder later in the game?

2. Do I create a 4 player party in the beginning? I am a bit confused because I have read that you meet some NPCs later in the game that can join and have their own quest lines. Do you get to pick what class they are at that time? Because there is like a bazillion articles on party make-up but I cant get my head around if it is better to play with the story characters (unless I can pick their class etc).

3. Are there any mods that one cant live without (like inventory etc)?

1. I’m not sure. But if you play on Classic difficulty there is a real spike around level 8-12 where you’re going to feel like every encounter wipes you in 1 round because you’re struggling for resources. Like, all your gear is lagging behind your level and you have no gold for resurrection scrolls. If you can get through that the game evens out.
  2. No you choose your main character, or make a custom one, then as you meet NPCs they’ll say something like “I’m trained as an archer but if you need help in some other way I can do that too.” At a certain point in the game you can respec any character for free at any time as well. So, pick the characters you find interesting and you can always adjust their build later at any time.
  3. I played on console so no mods, can’t help you there. I’m sure there’s a nude patch~

I only played with a few mods.

1. Pet Pal perk for everyone. There is too much content to miss without this perk and they really should just make it part of the Divinity world where as all people can talk to animals.

2. Ghost vision always on. Later in the game you get a free castable power that lets you see ghosts in the world. They are everywhere. The problem is that it lasts 8 rounds and then you need to cast it again. This was a terrible game design decision and this mod just lets you toggle the power on and off.

Thx, @Wallapuctus and @DeepT.

I took a gander at Nexus and it looks like the mods are specific to either Definitive Edition or the Classic. I installed a few including the pet pal and ghost ones recommended.

I really wanted to try the Improved Camera mod that allows 3d scrolling with the mouse but apparently it is hard to get working in Definitive.

I also installed the faster moving and basic persuasion and barter mods.

I would recommend “free out of combat bless”. The game makes you use bless to do an assortment of chores so you’re always running out of source points and frequently having to run back to some place to get source refilled. Later you have more options for filling source but for the quests that just require you to bless stuff to finish them it’s too obnoxious before time.

Do note, as per the mod’s instructions, that you need to leave it disabled before starting a new game and save once before going back and enabling it. Since you’re already up and running I think you’ll be fine.

I frequently got the impression they were trying to make you consider gobbling up NPC spirits for Source if you wanted to unlock every little thing and constantly use your best powers in battle but they seemed to forget that with a bunch of annoying backtracking you can usually refill at a magic tank thing somewhere.