Dragon's Dogma

Sorry I wasn’t clear - it’s just that Witchwood is so much closer than the other locations and just having that one portcrystal makes such a huge difference to the game. Now I have to find the next closest with none in my inventory!

The atrocious mage AI is really starting to piss me off.

The fucking mages love to attack from point blank. I just love how often I have to rescue them from their stupidity. The hydra fight was the worst. Every
single time they would stand right next to it and cast nukes (while not casting a buff on me). Then the thing would charge and kill them. A few times they would even start to climb the damn thing and used their basic attacks. WTF?!

Sometimes they just refuse to cast buffs on me. If I am fighting something like a goblin they will buff the shit out of me. However if it is a boss mob, they will do everything but buff me.

I just fought the evil eye mob in bitterblack. I do not think they buffed me once. They would just stand right next to tentacles and nuke them even though they could move out of the way. The only way to really damage the eye was to jump on it and crawl on top if its eye. It was a difficult maneuver itself to jump from the 2nd floor to grab on it without face planting for 3/4 of your health, but when I finally got on the eye, within a few swings one of the stupid ass mages would be dead and I would have to go revive them.

It just drives me nuts. Then there are the timed AoEs which will 100% kill a pawn. You know the one with the big circle that fills out and when it does, everything dies. Will they move out of the way even though they have like 10 seconds to do so? Nope.

It is even worse if there is some kind of damage or debuff area like some corrupted water. They will just stand in it trying to cure and heal each other without getting the fuck out of the water.

I have enjoyed this game, but now that I am in the end game, my patience is really wearing thin. XCOM 2 can’t come out soon enough.

Oh, I liked like 8 drakes so far and not once did any of my items get dragon forged.

Closest/easiest is the one you find when you go for the first time in the Everfall, which is certainly closer than Witchwood by far.

If you follow the main quests, by doing the first two Wyrm Hunt quests, you’ll find two more. And then a fourth one not too long after that.

You actually can’t get that one until quite a bit later - there’s quite a few main story quests before the quest that unlocks the back half of the Witchwood area is available.

Apparently pawn behavior is some unholy mixture of their top inclinations, their bestiary knowledge, and behaviors influenced by their owner!? So it gets really damn variable. I recently hired a mage pawn with only buffs and heals which didn’t buff or heal (I have no idea what she was doing instead). But apparently there are well behaved mage pawns out there…just have to find them. At a minimum their inclinations should be set to something like mitigator/challenger/utilitarian(/medicant for healing) to discourage the facetanking/climbing even if the player influenced behavior tends towards it. Not sure if my sorc is any good for late (she’s around the mid 50s if that’s adequate) - she seems to do OK with me despite my habit of getting in evreythings faces.

Apparently drakes have like 16% to forge 3-star items and almost no chance for the lesser stuff. That’s still really unlucky though. I got 3 items forged on my first drake kill of the one south of the shadow fort.

Did you enhance you gear? For normal drakes with not enhanced gear you get a 0% chance of dragon forging. One star gives you a 2% chance. Three stars however a 18% chance. The online ur-dragon has a 100% chance for all items no matter what enhancement level, but this is tedious to follow.

Which brings me to the next point. Dragon forging is so annoying. Every upgrade from BBI has to be dragon forged to rarefy them. Upgrading the items beforehand is an endless grind for BBI items, so forget about the normal drakes. If you’re lucky you get a bugged ur-dragon, spawning like every our or so. So you take your chances with the cursed dragon for a better chance (40%). Then change vocations, hire new pawns, reequip and hope you have enough bait.
The amount of gold it costs to upgrade BBI items for a higher chance forces you to offline farm the ur-dragon for wakestones to sell. Best skill yourself and your follower for higher sell prices and hire pawns with the same augment. sigh

I wanted to finish this game, but the grind is taking it’s toll.

All my items are enhanced a little at least. I can’t 3 start them because I do not have whatever I need. Some things just list ??? as the requirements to upgrade. I tried fighting the offline UR Dragon and got it down 2 bubbles and then it flew off. It has not been back since. Then I did the online version which seemed like I did like 3 or 4 pixels of damage to it before it left. I have not gone another round yet.

This game is really wearing thin on me. I am finding the boss encounters rather dull. They are just ridiculous bags of HP and I just whittle them down little by little while also frequently rescuing pawns.

I have enjoyed this game, but if they make a sequel the really need to improve the game mechanics. Crafting is a mess. The carry weight limit is stupid (or many things like curatives need to weigh next to nothing). There should be just a few kinds of things needed to upgrade items. IE: Copper ore, gold ore, platinum ore. Not this crazy, this bow needs 5 harpy wings to upgrade to level 3, while that bow needs 4 litch tongues and that dagger needs 9 eyes of mordor.

It would also be nice of all class abilities you learned could be used regardless of current class. IE: My assassin was a mage and sorcerer. I would love to be able to self-buff myself when my stupid pawns refuse to do so.

The pawn AI needs to be improved to avoid stupid deaths. If they can’t fix the AI for that, then at the very least they can ask this question, "Would a wary player be able to avoid this attack / effect (standing in diseased water, standing in a fire, etc… ). If the answer is yes, then simply make the pawns immune to the effect.

DeepT To get the Ur-Dragon back, just sleep one night, then go back. The offline version doesn’t regain his health, so he will be at the same health when you last met him offline. Doesn’t’ sound like you care at this point, but there it is. The first time I kill him (around level 55 or so?) it took about 6 rounds. The last time I met up with him at level 75 it took 2.

My road block has been BBI. Some of the room in later BBI are just stupid hard. I must not be doing it right. Fighting a lich, 3 garms and a horde of hell hounds in a hallway? really? Actually, I will take that over the anti pawns with their bullet proof armor.

Hmm, I thought I did sleep a night and went back and then there was nothing. Also the offline UR Dragon, from what I understand doesn’t have the 100% change to dragon forge your gear. I suppose Ill try it again. BBI isn’t doing it for me. I am going deeper and deeper and it all just feels very “meh” to me. Its probably that I am not getting any good loot. For all my trouble with the eyeball boss, all I got was some cloak which is considerably worse than the one I have equipped.

How does the online URDragon work? Do you need to be fighting it when it dies to get anything? I didn’t see any other players although it was missing almost a full bar of health when I started. I guess you just do not see the other players and you have your own private battle with it and your dps is jhust added to it. Can you fight it multiple times in a row or do you need to rest each time?

The, the pawns really do have some shitty behaviour at times.

Another annoying thing is. Why couldn’t it be possible to JUST see enemy health bars, or just health bars when enemy/friendly damaged without the “name tag” obscuring the view.

I had to constantly sit my mage pawn down in the chair and tell her to STOP. COPYING. ME. I’m supposed to throw the fireballs, she’s supposed to make with the buffs and the heals! Unfortunately High Anodyne broke her usefulness, since it takes forever to cast (no wyrmking ring yet) and we don’t have the the higher hp acquired in later levels to benefit. There’s no way to downrank the spell either, which is annoying. She had maxed out mage anyway, so I bumped her over to Sorc to learn the augments; I did finally get fed up with the chair business and fed her a bunch of potions since she kept picking up Scather from me and wouldn’t buff our weapons right away like I want.

Human bones that move on their own!

Man from what you guys are saying, it looks like I really missed a lot in my play-through. I never even found the Ur-dragon since once I had enough shards in everfall I went back and finished up the quest. I never stepped foot into the DLC area either. Ah well, I’m sure I’ll get the itch to do another run at some point and I’ll be sure to look up more about what I might miss that time around. Overall I really loved the 40+ hours I put in to finish up the game.

Shit, I guess it’s time to put this away with Rise coming out today. I beat this already (twice before, in fact) so it’s not a big deal to stop here where I am, and truth be told the idea of re-doing some of the quests I know that are coming again is a bit much to bear just now, but I want to complete Rise before XCOM 2 drops, so it’s time to put games I already have 100 hours in away for now. I’ll revisit over the summer though, I’m well pleased with the quality of the port and I’m happy to support the franchise, hopefully we’ll get a Dragons’ Dogma 2 out of it.

The damage you and others do is carried over.
You can reenter immediately after the fight (online and offline)
There are multiple online dragons. If you reenter you might see a dragon with more health than before.
If you did not kill the dragon yourself (unlikely) you will get a reward based on the damage done to the dragon. No dragonforge.
If you enter the chamber like a maximum of ~30-50 minutes after the kill (grace period), you will get a super weak version of the online dragon. A few hits will kill it and you get all the rewards.
Once you killed the online version it’s dead for you until a new generation is spawned after the grace period.

So the best way to kill the online dragon is to follow the ur-dragon reddit thread where people post the current life and when the kill is announced warp in take the loot and get dragonforged.

What level/campaign requirements for this Ur-Dragon?

If you have unlocked new Everfall, chances are you can do some damage to the Ur-Dragon.

The current online Ur-Dragon is up to some shenanigans. Earlier in the week we went through like a dozen dragons in a day. The current one has been alive for 3 days now, and is only down about 20% or so. So now is not as good time to be waiting on the online version. It seems to vary between super easy dead in 30 minutes, to this week long venture. I didn’t figure it would have that much of a swing to the encounter. Was the console version like that?

I have avoided going into Everfall because I didn’t want some of my other quests to auto-fail, so I’ve been working through doing everything except the campaign quest… course, just treking around I tend to get sidetracked so I suppose it will take a while. I’m close to level 40 now.

Since this being an online thing, I suppose by the time I reach it, I’ll be the only one still playing and it will be impossible to kill it :)

Just restarted my campaign on Hard (switched at lvl 39), so much better than Normal. Enemies still die really fast but I actually have to block or parry sometimes now. I even used some consumables earlier!

The best part however are enemies that drop giant bags of gold. Ca-ching!

The low enemy health is so strange. Popcorn enemies are fun in a button-mashy beat 'em up, but they feel weird in a game like this.

I made it to the Bloodless Stockade on Bitterback Island and got myself into a resource pickle. I had some really tough fights - the latest being the floaty undead with a pack of rat dog things that like to use you as a chew toy. I’m level 57 now I think. I had 1 pawn a bit higher, around 75 and one a bit lower, around 45. I’m having a rough time. I am very low on healing and money. I bought out most of the healing from the merchant guy. I have no will to go to the surface and grind for supplies and gold.

Is there any hope I can push through the remaining Bitterback Isle areas (looks like there are about 5) or should I just give up at this point. I hear Tomb Raider calling me.

Buy empty flasks and fill them at healing springs for cheap healing. Might be annoying filling them all though.