Dragon's Dogma

The healing from the springs is so little that I’d be going back constantly. I just made it to the final battle but I don’t see any way I can do this. He actually doesn’t seem as tough as other enemies. Maybe if I restart the battle again. My pawns are all gone in this battle and I think his health is about half way.

Finished the final Bitterback boss on my next attempt. I managed to keep main main damage dealing pawn alive this time, but I did lose the other two since they wouldn’t listen to me quickly enough. The final Bitterback boss was definitely not the most difficulty fight. So I am free to move on to Tomb Raider!

I’m mostly glad I pressed on. Trying to keep the pawns alive did get annoying. During many of the tough fights half my time was spent picking them back up after they died. The pawns are an interesting idea, but I rather just play a single character in a game like this and not worry what the AI is going to do with my teammates.

This is so frustrating. I have the offline UR dragon down to 1 pip and 1 bar of health. It only has a few weak spots left. Basically I have to climb up on the dragon fairly far to get to this spot. Now during this time the camera is moving into useless positions and I can’t even see my guy. Then when I can, it is frustrating as hell trying to steer him to the right spot.

Ok, then I FINALLY get to the spot I need to be, and do like 2 attacks and then at that moment 2 or 3 pawns go down and I need to jump off to rescue them.
Oh and when I am actually climbing on the dragon I am praying, “Please Buff me you fucking useless mage”. My DPS is like quadrupled when I am buffed.

What is the personality type that says buff me? Medicant?

What are people’s strategies for this thing? What is your party makeup? I have SilverHammer which is fine because he actually climbs on the damn thing to beat on it. Then I have a strider and a mage currently. It seems like the AI for casters is just dumb. No matter what kind of caster pawn I hire, they die like 4x as much as everyone else.

You need to potions of Utalitarian, and one of Medicant - that will set your mage pawn to the right inclination - or of course, get one from someone else with Utilitarian as primary, and Medicant as secondary. Thats what I have, and it works. Mine is level 60 by the way, and is now set as mage, with a few dragonforged items as well, said the pimp ;-)

From what I’ve researched, Medicant is an inclination to avoid. My mage with Utilitarian primary was constantly throwing out buffs, and I’d rather have her do damage to something instead of constantly topping off everyone’s health. Challenger/mitigator are great secondaries.

Does anyone else wince whenever they see a mage with guardian as their inclination? shudder I too look for Util/mit usually. They will still heal you, but they won’t start casting heal every time you cut yourself shaving…

Obviously if you don’t want buffs, take another style.

Medicant is fine as a secondary. My pawn rarely heals in combat unless it’s important. The most annoying thing is when the AI switches halfway through a spellcast.

I mostly ignore the whole pawn system.

Ooh, I phrased that poorly.

Yes! I want the buffs, Utilitarian is fantastic. What I don’t want is constant casting interruption for inconsequential heals, which is what I understood Medicant to be.

Not if you choose it as secondary - then they ‘will’ heal you, but only when they really need to.

Ok, and your steam name is Razgon? Ill have to look this up when I get home. What is the pawns name?

Yes - Its Red Signe - she works well for me, so hopefully she does for you as well :-)

Oh, and Signe is a danish name, since I understand if that makes absolutely no sense.

I would like a mage to nuke when there is nothing else to do, but first I want you to buff me, then if I am in trouble heal me (It would be nice if people didn’t slot the maximum heal power which takes days to cast) and when neither of the other two are needed, then nuke away.

Red Signe has the augment to lower spellcasting time, and the Wyrmking ring that further reduces spell casting. Said the pimp once again!

Then your pawn will become my favorite mage pawn. Now I just need to figure out what is best for the last pawn for the end-game content.

BTW, if I have that same ring will it help your pawn even further? And it won’t be gifted if your pawn dies? I heard something about giving pawns gear may auto-gift the items given.

Still received plenty of heals without Medicant, which prioritizes heals and avoids combat. I didn’t want that for my mage.

Giving a pawn an item gifts it to the pawns owner when the pawn gets sent away.
I know the ring stacks with the sorc augment, but not sure double wyrmking stacks.

edit: Nope http://dragonsdogma.wikia.com/wiki/Wyrmking’s_Ring

That only happens when you equip an item on a rented pawn, like a new weapon or piece of armor. With something like the Wyrmking Ring (or a pickaxe, lantern, etc) the item only needs to be in their inventory to work, not equipped. When the rented pawn dies or you release them, the ring will be put into your storage.

The first thing I do every time I hire a new mage/sorcerer pawn is put the ring into their inventory. It’s a relatively small boost but everything helps.

FYI, Wyrmking doesn’t come with hired pawn (since its not actually equipped). You need to provide your own when hiring a mage.

I currently have hired a very good L52 mage that I’m happy with (utilitarian/medicant I believe, with grand holy + heals + grapnel CC + firewall), and another sorc of an unremembered level (challenger/utilitarian) to team up with my own sorc pawn (utilitarian/mitigator). The damage duo seems to do a reasonable job of nuking things. Dual sync casts are ridiculous. And even more so when they manage to hit my (mystic knight) great cannons. It’s ridiculous how much damage is shit out when everything lines up.

I made it to post-game and I’m so confused. I feel like I have another 25 hours to go now.

I just went to Bitterback Isle and finished that post game. Is there something else we are supposed to do? That had quite a lot of content as it is.

The everfall dungeons, and the actual end of the story, apparently.