E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy

I’ve had a great deal of success ‘sniping’ enemies with the minigun. Sure, it take some time and ammo, but I’ve not had any shortage of either. Obviously, closer is better, but long distances are no obstacle to the amount of metal that thing spits out.

If you like Deus Ex like systems and gameplay - with some magic thrown in you’ll enjoy EYE. But, and this is a huge but, if you are easily frustrated by bugs or things not working exactly as you think they should stay away for now.

If you can enjoy Dwarf Fortress you have more than enough tolerance for EYE.

Things don’t always work but you can generally figure out what you need to do.

I’ve had fun just trying out some different character builds while waiting for the patch.

Right now melee is very strong. In medium armor and just a sniper rifle and two clips I move very fast.

How many people have played this in coop and what were your experiences? I played two sessions on random Internet servers last night that were both laggy and buggy.

I have played almost completelly coop.

It depends on the server, some suck, others suck, and others are fun. If a server suck, or has lag, disconnect and try another. The games has 1 severe bug multiplayer related: some event can delete your character. And some mission design hidde the target objetive, so everyone has to explore the map (monster hidden in closet, like in XCOM).

I’ve played almost exclusively co-op with friends on a server that one of them hosts while we play. Lots of fun.

So I decided to pick up EYE because I have a soft spot for ambitious-yet-buggy games, and also for cyber-ninja-space-wizards.

But the game was terribly confusing to start with. You have to figure out all of the stats, items, and skills yourself, pretty much. And the game totally doesn’t help you with this. For example, you can equip as a melee weapon either a single, big katana called the ‘Damocles’, or a set of two dual-wield katanas. But what’s the difference? The armory shows you lots of stats and also some icons that represent different things - but what does the icon mean if, say, there’s a circle that has a little slash on one side and a handgun on the other?

Then I realized the following facts:

1. The difference between the dual katanas and the single big katana is that when you hit an enemy with the big katana, it will make them EXPLODE.
  2. The icon with a slash and a handgun indicates that the item can be dual-wielded as a sword/gun combo.
  3. The katana that makes people explode has the icon that says you can also wield a gun in your other hand.

I have spent the last few hours of game-time using my left click to explode-o-sword some enemies and my right click to headshot others. Also, I use my psychic powers to drive the survivors insane while my personal army of clones shoots them some more.

My name is Thasero, and I approve of this game.

Well, goddammit. Sold.

I’m sure you already figured this out, Thasero, but I didn’t realize at first that if you wield melee only you can block bullets with alt-fire. I figured it was just for melee attacks until I deflected a full submachine gun barrage. The only limitation is that it drains energy and you can’t block explosives.

Now it’s made it an even tougher decision on what to use, sword+pistol or pure melee.

I’ve only played it coop. So far there’s definitely been some bugs, but the only laggy experience I had was on a particular mission where you have to defend a guy for 3 minutes from waves of monsters. The host would run it fine, but the clients had… not lag, exactly, just choppy-looking animation. Hard to describe.

All that being said, I’ve been playing Coop on a LAN so that may mask some issues you’d encounter on the internet at large.

I’m really enjoying the world they have created. It feels very fresh and new for some reason that I can’t put my finger on…

After watching that giant bomb video, did anyone figure out how to heal yourself?

Research medkit
Drag it to inventory from armory
Stab self with alt fire

Or use psi power that eats weapons and ammo on the ground

It amazes me how bad some of the giant bomb quick looks are skill wise

Apparently it’s alt-fire on the medkit. And, you know, I think they even tried that, but to cure bleeding, which it does not do. (That’s what maintenance is for.)

The more I play this, the more I enjoy it. Have they listed what they’re trying to accomplish with the patch?

Here’s what the StreumOnStudio guy from the Steam forums said 2 days ago:

Just got this game, and playing the first 30 minutes is like stepping into Teiman’s brain and trying to figure out what the heck is going on.

Hee… E.Y.E is mostly weird because don’t follow standards, and some things are based on a (seems) tabletop game. So you don’t see things, because are hidden for you, while the server launch dices. The game can be played if you understand is persistent, and investigate the health kit as soon as posible (so you can heal you).

So you’re saying E.Y.E. is just Teiman with guns?

Awesome and apt at the same time.

That’s this game in a nutshell. It really does kick ass!