Enderal - Skyrim Total Conversion

Not where I am so far, but I’m glossing over the plot I admit.

Another desire: The LOD is really aggressive in Enderal - I don’t remember it being this marked in Skyrim but whenever you look over a vista you are looking at a landscape made of about 9 jaggy polygons.

Related: The map! The zoomed out landscape they use has nothing to recommend it. There are multiple ways to make a cool map which would be better.

How big is this goddam game :/

And done. It built up an awful lot of goodwill over a free-exploration mid-game and nearly threw it all away in half an hour of tedious trap-me-in-your-exposition pseudo-cutscenes at the end.

Bethesda should hire the artists and level builders and steer clear of main plot guy :/

So you finished it? Any insights as to my question about the dreams of dad and the meat thing? You didn’t like the ending? I thought the story was much better than most Bethesda games.

I thought the ending was good enough, but its delivery was painful. The meat thing was beyond me. That layer was one whose omission would have enhanced things IMO. I thought the exploration and the actual questing in the main plot were certainly good, but standing around while having endless RPG bloviation delivered at you could all have been cut out.

A few quick questions.

1. As someone who played Nehrim, the Total Conversion for Oblivion, I most importantly want to know if this is a slog to play through the beginning to get to the good stuff. I really tried to get through that opening dungeon in Nehrim, but it was long and miserable and not fun in any way, and after a few hours I just couldn’t take it anymore.

2. If it’s not a slog to play through the start, then secondly, does it support the controller natively? I hated playing Nehrim with a mouse and keyboard. I tried several configurations on 3rd party apps to get the controller working, but it’s not the same.

Apologies if these questions have been answered before.

1. I never played Nehrim so I can’t compare them. The beginning is a bit cut-scene ish, as in it jerks you from place to place to set the story up. That did not last too long. I did not find the beginning a slog at all. I think the mod is well worth playing. I would even like to go back and play it again at some future point as a mage. I do not think a proper mage would work in its current state (when I played it a few months ago).

2. I have no idea if it has controller support.

I played an elemental mage - seemed fine to me. Don’t know about other flavours. Controllers are supported yes, probably identical to Skyrim. The start is as DeepT says - there are several sections where you are pushed through a narrow set of actions while they set up their plot, but nothing which is hard to get through. For me it did take a few hours to get into it.

I did a bit of mage stuff with my character. I found that the “charm” line of magic totally failed at higher levels. By the time I was in to 40s, even the special shout, entropic blood I believe it was called, didn’t do anything more than make things glow green. Fears and Frezies did nothing. Even the big abomination pet would only live a short while without doing much damage.

Setting things on fire held up pretty well :)

30 minutes in and I don’t think I can return to the Skyrim engine. That time has passed.

I am all about visuals and I thought a lot of Enderal was worth seeing… rather less worth hearing sometimes :)

The “hearing” part is a bit better if you install the German voice track, which has much better voice acting to the English one.

POKES THREAD , this is apparently free for Skyrim owners.

@KristiGaines you play all the SKYRIMS all the time, does this interest you? If so check it out and report back. ;)

Holy wow.

They picked the perfect release date, as nothing else came out today of noteworthiness.

Dang, just bought and installed Skyrim SE and added a bunch of mods and deleted OG Skyrim. Apparently Enderal doesn’t work with SE, either. My timing is impeccable. sigh

Would love to read some thoughts on this before I make any rash decisions.

I presume this is sarcasm, but sincerely don’t know what you’re talking about.

Anyway, this looks interesting but I’m a bit concerned it might be too constrained by narrative. I like my open world games open. Say whatever you want about Bethesda, but they do tend to deliver on that front. Might give it a try and see, though.

I don’t think you need OG Skyrim installed - just having it in your STEAM library is enough

Correct. You do need OG Skyrim, specifically, not SE. But it just has to be owned.