Everything is terrible, Brazil edition

Some people on that same flight took pictures with him and called him a “myth”. Too much stupid in this place.

Too much stupid everywhere these days, it seems. Nowhere to run from the authoritarians, bastards seem to be everywhere.

Or from the people with the best environmental profit interests in mind who latch on to it. Their own profit, at any rate.

(turn on subtitles if portuguese challenged)

Now that Greenwald is no longer with the Intercept, I can post a link from them guilt-free.
18 parts, including US involvement in Operation Car Wash (which ultimately resulted in Bolsonaro getting elected.) Lula’s conviction has been over-turned by Brazil’s top court, meaning he’s running in next year’s election. He will in all likelihood win. Remains to be seen how Bolsonaro will try to subvert it, but if Peru is any indication, he will (and not be adverse to using extra-legal means, either.)

You’re absolutely correct on that. He’s been already (and for a while) planting the seeds to a coup if things don’t go his way, regardless of the election.

Ugh. If Chile has mass protests, can’t imagine what Brazil is gonna be like. :/ I read somewhere his approval rating is something like 24%. Is that correct? (I know he’s popular with the farmers and ranchers, but that’s a small percentage of the population.)

Hoping that the Biden administration and the EU are already planning for this, although outside of sanctions don’t really know what they can do.

He’s popular with a significant part of our population, but to explain which part and why would take a long time, because it comes from some specific cultural characteristics of our people. In essence, he’s very popular with the least empathic people in the country, which are greater in number than I’d like. And as such he has a real chance at winning the next election if he doesn’t have a good enough opponent.

Not that it matters - he will attempt a coup if he feels he needs to, much like Trump sort of did. And like Trump, he has some support from police forces here, so it could get messy.

This a bit into Bolsonaro’s support and how he got into office:

I’d say that’s a fair summary of the overall situation. It lacks a little nuance and there’s more to the whole thing than what’s covered there, but as a “Bolsonaro’s Brazil 101”, I approve.

So exactly like it is in the USA.

Probably.

Bolsonaro, 66, was reportedly taken to military hospital in the capital Brasília at about 4am on Wednesday, with one prominent Brazilian journalist claiming the president was suffering from a bowel obstruction.

in other words, he is full of shit. More seriously, it can be really serious if your shit stays in there too long. An infection IIRC.

Even if you made of shit?

True, this literally was the cause of my wifes grandmothers death.

I, uh, holy sht. Brazil’s Congressional Panel may not be fcking around…

And that will most likely end up in a big nothing, because those charges have to be investigated by a guy that happens to be a Bolsonaro defender and nominee, Bolsonaro can’t be actually prosecuted criminally anyway before being impeached, and impeachment most likely won’t happen because the president of the House of Representatives is an ally of Bolsonaro and gets to say if an impeachment request is voted or not.

Also, Bolsonaro is trying to up his chances at reelection (next year) by boosting social programs after cutting science spending by 92%, and also using all sorts of tricks to put the government in debt (former president Dilma Rousseff was impeached for much less). He’s sacrificing/sabotaging the future to try to remain in power. Though I guess he was already sacrificing/sabotaging our future simply by being in power. Our country will take decades to fix all the things he ruined in his mandate. Inflation through the roof, national institutions sabotaged and politicized, major reversal in environmental policies, lack of investment in infrastructure and science, economical recession, hundreds of thousands of dead because of mismanagement of actions against the pandemic, lots of corruption everywhere… it’s a disaster.

So yeah, everything is terrible, Brazil edition.

Or for a darker take: