Fallout 4

It’s not much better on the PC. There’s no easy way to tell which food is being farmed by which settler or anything else, much, without some mods.

I think that settlers will assign themselves to food if they are free and there are unassigned plants. I also think food is the only resource where this happens (must manually assign to stores, scrap, defense, etc) but I could be wrong.

I have been playing as a full time scavenger part time mayor/builder. Basically, I ignore the settlements until I find myself with less time before bed than it would take to explore a new location. Then I fight the building system for 30 min or so.

One thing I have started doing because: 1) I think there are way too many settlements available and 2) hate to leave settlers undefended (just cannot seem to ignore the safety of random NPC’s in my charge). When I get to a settlement that has a few settlers that I don’t want to take care of; I make them all provisioners. As far as I can tell, provisioners are marker essential unless they are robots. So the settlers never die and my crazy mind can concentrate on slaughtering random enemy NPC’s.

I bounced off this one pretty hard back around release, but I decided to grab the DLC and fire this up again. With recalibrated expectations, (and switching from the Steam controller back to the 360 controller) I’m enjoying it quite a bit. I still feel a little too clumsy to enjoy it purely as a shooter, but it’s a lot of fun.

Two major complaints so far: 1) I really miss the ability to talk my way out of situations. I appreciate this is more action-oriented, but it would be nice to have some non-violent paths available, especially as that was one of the things I loved most about the original games. And 2) I think I may need to find a way to mod out enemy grenades. Just about whenever I see that indicator pop up, I know I’ll be in for another load time.

I shift sprint whenever I see those now. If you can just get a little distance from them they are very survivable…same goes for car/truck explosions.

Apparently, the steam dlc database got a new entry fallout 4 and there is speculation that some new type of dlc might be in the works. Here is hoping!

Also, I regret having avoided the main quest line as much as I did on my first attempt–maybe as a result of being let down with Fallout 3–where I only made it to the first Nick Valentine quest after 22 hours and that was just about when I quit. I’ve been focusing on that so far, and it’s much more enjoyable.

Is there a good identifiable point to break from this and explore? Or, at least, tackle Far Harbor and the other DLC?

I personally finished the main quest in spurts interspersed with some serious roaming around the map. The great thing is that you can explore a building and not really ruin anything for the main quest even if it figures into the main quest later.

I just hit level 74 and I have only dipped my toe into Nuka World. I went there first because I needed 7.62 ammo for a gun that dropped for me. That gun alone has made the game twice as fun as it was. Exploding bullets and bloody mess for the win.

I just hit level 13 and the last story beat I’ve finished was in Goodneighbor. Maybe I’ll take a break to do some wandering now.

Am I okay avoiding all of the settlement stuff? I’ve barely touched it so far, and find it clumsy and not all that fun.

Absolutely. I didn’t do anything until I found a place to build my own personal stronghold. The minutemen grew on me though. Preston can be a little annoying since he always has some place that needs your help but it does get you around the map. You do have to be careful because it can send you far south and east where the enemies are generally harder. I had to come back to several places later after I had leveled up a bit.

Heck, Sanctuary got annoying to me since it was always “There’s some ghouls that have been bothering us and we might get overrun.” I gave you all combat armor and plasma rifles plus put tons of turrets around this place. You’re gonna be fine.

edit - as a sidenote, there’s a mod for Death Trooper (from Star Wars) armor, helmets, and rifles. If you have the inkling, setting up settlements with Imperial Troopers is both kinda fun and also excuses their horrible aim. And yes, it includes the red bolts and iconic sound effect ;)

PS - one more minor rant/fix. Want to get rid of dead bodies at settlements because it’s kind of freaky how comfortable settlers are sleeping in rooms with dead ghouls, etc? On a PC, go into console mode, left click on the corpse, type “disable” without the quotes and hit enter, then type “MarkForDelete” without the quotes and hit enter. They’re gone forever. You may want to save beforehand in case you delete the wrong person, btw.

I can definitely understand your issues with the lack of non-violent options. Doesn’t bother me, as I pretty much always shoot/slash/bash/stab my way through any RPG, but the first two Fallout games certainly allowed a lot more leeway.

I think it comes down, though, to the 800lb gorilla in the room, which is that this game is an open-world shooter with RPG elements, in a Fallout setting. It’s really not a “Fallout game” in the vein of the first two, or for many, even in the vein of New Vegas (though personally I feel the shooter Fallouts are all of a piece more or less, in that they are definitely unlike the original isometric turn-based combat games). And while I know you and some others actually like the main quest (I loathe it, and now ignore it for long periods of time in my play throughs), it simply isn’t robust enough IMO to sustain much of a non-violent, talk-my-way-through path. Neither are the other quests in the game, which pretty much all eventually revolve around the application of judicious or sometimes extravagant quantities of violence, and have rewards intended to facilitate same.

That is, the goal here is mostly explore, kill, loot, level, repeat, not narrative or character development, beyond adding perks and points. It’s pretty straight-forward, even though one can be ticked I suppose at Bethesda for implying the game was an RPG :).

I was worried coming to this after Witcher 3, having read the criticisms, but I was looking for a true open world game and Watchdogs 2 just wore thin after a while (I may go back to it after I get done with F4.) But for me, it gave me exactly what I look for in a Bethesda open world game: A very large, very full, very interesting world to explore basically in any way and path I choose. Witcher 3 is one of the best few games for me in my 30+ years of computer gaming, with the writing, the stories, the meticulous world (even the music - I always turn off the music in these games because I’m role playing in my mind, and having an orchestra walking behind me doesn’t fit “being there”, but Witcher 3 is such an epic than the music is essential - as opposed to Fallout 4 where it feels like an afterthought to me.) But in Fallout 4 most of the more interesting stories are, as in Skyrim, implied in the notes you find, how you interpret what you just stumbled upon, etc. And I’m cool with that. Fallout 4’s world going on around you is made even better that some past, IMO, by how many battles you hear going on in the distance, and the aftermath you can find from them. I love that the world isn’t waiting for me to have things go on. Finding a building by following the gunfire and finding dead raiders and mutants lying around, clearly after a big battle, is very cool.

Fallout 4 is exactly what I was looking for at this point: a huge interesting world that I can simply explore at will, with questlines I can take on if and when I choose. That freedom is something nobody does better than Bethesda, IMO.

Agree 100%. It’s by far my favorite game of the past five years or more. As shown by my Steam hours-played number…

Question - I’ve got the Overseer’s Guardian rifle, scoped out and set up as one of my two sniper rifles (the other is a fully decked out silenced 50 cal with a targeting scope.)

It says that it shoots and additional projectile. Two questions on that:

1. Does that mean it uses one .45 bullet but actually shoots two?
  2. Does the Damage that it displays (currently 114) reflect the damage from two bullets or is the damage of a hit twice that?

I think it consumes only one bullet and applies extra damage to simulate two. The damage calcs are a little weird though, if I remember correctly the second bullet is calculated off the base damage and doesn’t take perks and other bonuses into account. Might want to google that if it was patched at some point.

Hmmm - well I’ve already upgraded it so I may have screwed up the perk according to this on one Wiki:

When the receiver is upgraded to the Powerful or Calibrated powerful receiver or the barrel is upgraded to the Long ported barrel the two shot prefix doesn’t apply anymore

Also - my 50 cal sniper rifle has a marksman stock and looks more like a pistol than a rifle. How can I tell which category the game puts it in (for the purposes of perks?)

[quote=“JeffL, post:4774, topic:71429”]
When the receiver is upgraded to the Powerful or Calibrated powerful receiver or the barrel is upgraded to the Long ported barrel the two shot prefix doesn’t apply anymore
[/quote]No worries - the prefix doesn’t vanish, it’s just that any bonuses from the better receivers doesn’t apply to the second round. If you put together a rifle in the exact same manner, you’ll note that the Two-Shot still does more damage.

edit - imho, Two-Shot is great for sniper rifles and for beam-splitter laser shotguns

[quote=“JeffL, post:4775, topic:71429, full:true”]
Also - my 50 cal sniper rifle has a marksman stock and looks more like a pistol than a rifle. How can I tell which category the game puts it in (for the purposes of perks?)
[/quote]If it calls it a rifle, it’s a rifle regardless of how it looks. Well, unless you make it an automatic, in which case it falls under Commando for the perk.

Problem is I renamed it myself! So I don’t know how to figure out what the game calls it now.

Just change the stock and see if the damage number drops. If it does then the current one matches your perks, if not then it doesn’t.

Sorry - totally misunderstood. Going to a marksman’s or short stock with a generic sniper rifle still keeps it a sniper rifle (just tested it).