Fallout 76 - Multiplayer, online, BGS Austin

Lower echelon type fucked up? Expecting it to be reversed soon.

So we all knew dupe bugs were rampant, but I wasn’t aware RMT was so pervasive in F76, reportedly a fairly unsuccessful game. Turns out that Bethesda simply doesn’t give a shit about the integrity of their game’s economy and seems to straight-up allow RMT to happen.

Reason #221 why F76 suckles goat balls.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-11-28-inside-the-world-of-fallout-76-virtual-gunrunning

The one and only reason I don’t suspect it isn’t just Bethesda creating and selling this stuff on the sly:

Not only incredibly polite, the seller also seemed to have a full delivery schedule. It was a level of professionalism I wasn’t prepared for, and I hurried back from my lunch break to arrange an in-game meet-up.

I have a sudden urge to buy this game. That looks fun.

Time for my favorite jam:

You know that would have been a pretty cool in game promotion, with Santa in power armor dropping sweet lootz to the masses.

@stusser predicted much more of this, the moment it was revealed that the game was all client-side instead of being server side. My only mental objection to that was whether enough people would even care enough to do that type of thing. If the game was going to be a commercial failure, then why would people bother messing so much with the client-side code?

But I guess it was a big enough success or people do care enough to put in the effort to do this after all.

Right, they forgot Raph Koster’s #1 commandment of MMO design-- thou shalt not trust the client. Since users can spawn mobs that other players see, these devs fucked up spectacularly. F76 must be a frickin’ peer to peer game!

So it’s free now?

Free fallin’.

I think it’s unlikely they forgot. I think it’s much more plausible that they just don’t care.

Or at least decided that getting the game out on an engine that they knew more quickly was worth the trade-off vs. developing a brand-new client/server engine from scratch.

I saw it for $5 recently.

I’ve said it before, but I want to see Todd Howard subjected to real, tough questioning over Fallout 76 - the state it released in, the absolute threadbare experience, the various issues around the rum, the collectors edition, the subscription and backtracking on “cosmetics only”, etc.

It actually kinda sickened me that Howard got to go out on stage at E3 this year, make a brief joke about a what a dumpster fire their game was, and the crowd just ate it up. And then he got to give that pathetic interview to IGN, where he actually seriously said that “they knew” Fallout 76 wasn’t going to be “a good Metacritic game”.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a developer sink their reputation more over a single game, than Bethesda did with Fallout 76, and the clown show around it.

All the other stuff is pretty standard, tons of games release unfinished, promise cosmetic-only DLC then turn around and go pay2win, and so on and so forth. It’s all unacceptable but not unusual.

Releasing a peer-to-peer MMO, though, that is truly something I haven’t seen before. Ultima Online and Everquest got that right 20 years ago. What I want to hear about is the trials and tribulations forcing the Fallout 4 engine to work online, because there’s definitely a story there.

Lots of games release with bugs, but Fallout 76 was a next-level shambles at launch, and was virtually unplayable on consoles the framerate was so bad - especially if you had an elemental weapon. And all of this was so unavoidable that there’s no way Bethesda didn’t know.

This included many bugs that were inherited from Fallout 3 and 4, which is just unacceptable at this point, and almost certainly a byproduct of them using the same core engine since at least Oblivion, and just duct-taping more and more stuff that it was never meant to do, to it.

Yeah but again lots of games release extremely buggy, but I’ve never seen a peer-to-peer MMO. That is truly unique.

I bought this a few months ago on Amazon for $9.99. Started it up today. I cannot seem to go more than 4 minutes before some level 250 person in bouncing around by me trying to give me stuff and wearing some ridiculous costume. I had heard most players just did their own thing, but that was back at release. Now it seems like a true level 3 is some new anomaly that requires much hopping up and down with a nuke launcher and a Santa outfit. Sigh.

Did they add text chat and fix the always on mic?

Because it’s a stupid idea not worth implementing intentionally.