Fallout 76 - Multiplayer, online, BGS Austin

At least the paints for the armors and stuff are hardly necessary. I nearly have enough Atom now to buy armor paint (well, one paint scheme) just from doing in-game stuff. But yes, if you really want those cosmetic things, they are absurdly expensive.

Bethesda somehow forgot to include any way to report players for harassment and griefing. In their online game. Released in 2018.

Anyone know how to share the photos you can take? Some of them are pretty cool, but I can’t for the life of me figure out how to share them with others.

If you’re on PC, they’ve saved in your “My Games” folder. Take a bunch of creepy pics and email them to randos For Great Justice!

“The game notified me that if I didn’t fight back, they would do limited damage so I didn’t fight back and hoped they would just get bored and leave,” AJ said. “They stuck with it and even joked about how ‘this is the strongest queer I’ve ever seen’.”

Eventually, NathanTheHicc and his friends killed AJ’s character. “We changed servers after we respawned,” AJ said. "Just so it wouldn’t happen again.

If only somewhere, somehow, someone might have predicted this would happen.

Well they did have ways to stop the harassment. They changed servers, which addressed it, and if they had also ignored those players they would never be put in a server with them again.

But their point was well-made. With no way to report harassment, there’s no consequence for it. It’s (yet another) testament to Bethesda Austin’s staggering incompetence that they launched an online game in 2018 with no way to report griefers.

Staggering inexperience, to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Or staggering cynicism, if you’re like me, beginning to believe that FO76 is a mere asset flip + bolt-on components to squeeze a few more shekels out of FO4.

Damn, now I WANT the game! This could be the biggest flop since ET! With no chance of recovering it from a landfill LOL

I think this:

The Bethesda spokesperson said Fallout 76 “empowers players to permanently block other players”, pointing to the reporting tools on Bethesda.net and the Xbox One and PlayStation 4. “We will not tolerate this kind of behaviour by any of our players, nor towards any of our players. We will continue to investigate claims of misconduct or abuse - along with Microsoft and Sony - and take action when necessary.”

Removes the benefit of the doubt. They think logging off the game and going to a reporting tool on a website that’s half-assed itself, as the article points out, is enough. They’re incompetent, and they don’t listen.

No. As I’ve pointed out several times in this thread, Bethesda Austin is a group of MMO veterans. Rich Vogel leads the studio, and he’s been working on MMOs since Ultima Online. Austin is MMO-central, pretty much every old-school MMO was developed there. That’s where you go when you need that expertise.

And yet they still managed to screw up on every level imaginable.

As I’ve always said, never underestimate how shitty players will come up with ways to grief other people. Even if they did no damage, griefers can ruin your experience by standing in your way and constantly blocking your view.

And that little shit that isn’t apologetic about the whole thing, he should be removed form MP services. He does not see a problem with his behavior in all of this. A few year ban to help him grow the hell up.

He got a lifetime ban from Bethesda online games.

They mentioned somewhere in there that Sony and Microsoft was looking at it. This is one of those games that’s got an integrated term right? There was another one like that, maybe it was Harry Potter. I am not… sure how I feel about having an issue in one game and then that bleeding into the entire platform, but this lead guy here, he flat up is not apologetic. He doesn’t acknowledge he did anything wrong.

If he’s on XBL or PSN and violated TOS, they have the right to ban whoever they want.

I think he mouthed off when he thought he was only getting a three day ban. So he screwed up. Good for him.

There’s nothing in that story about Microsoft or Sony directly, only Bethesda saying that they, MS, and Sony investigate misconduct generally. Bethesda banned him for life from their online service, which is pretty much their harshest recourse.

Microsoft and Sony could do the same, but again, I don’t see that mentioned at all.

Riot has a lot of research about toxic behavior and has, I think, decided that giving people a chance to reform by being very clear with them immediately about why they’re being suspended or punished in some way is a better solution. This asshole can just make another account and continue to be toxic.

Given how good the writing, quest design, and world design–independent of the game systems and back end–are in this game, I really don’t think this is true. There is a ton of loving detail and design ability on display here, and the the level of Fallout lore exposition and context setting is the best in the series so far, bar none, in my opinion. So while the overall concept might be a cash grab at some level, the team that developed this I don’t think were doing anything but their best, with what they had.

That’s the sharp end – the content creators at BGS have always done themselves proud with world-building.

I’m talking about the overall project direction itself, not the guys in the trenches. The guys in the trenches are probably like, “But didn’t you guys want limited multiplayer in FO4?” The Bethsoft directors are like, “No, you don’t get to fix those bugs. That’s not what FO76 is about.”

I mean, how can’t we see the “Perks Packs” as an microtransaction grab only aborted after EA’s stumble?