Far Cry 5 - Hope springs eternal

As a long time PC gamer, or hell, just a gamer. Seriously, one save slot??? WTF Ubi.

This game is a mixed bag, and I’m glad I rented it.

Pros:. Beautiful. Great open world. Fun exploring, fishing, and gunfights. Great gunplay, very meaty. The setting is great (not the story, the setting).

Cons:. Stupid scripted missions. Stupid terrible forced unskippable cutscenes. Terrible characters and story. Anything that’s not open world.

In particular, I’m on John seed’s bunker now. If this is an optional mission, I suggest you skip it. It’s just an awful 1990s corridor crawl with switch flipping and enemy closets. Lazy, lazy level design. Just terribad.

I’m guessing as many people have speculated that there were two teams:. Open world and scripted missions. The open world team did a great job. The scripted mission team should never work in the industry again.

Pretty much all of the criticisms of this game are justified. I still am really digging it. But yeah, there are some real WTF? moments, and not in a good way.

I do think though that it is pretty challenging, to say the least, to design a game that delivers both excellent open-world, emergent play, and excellent narrative-driven, set-piece experiences. You pretty much have to make some stuff mandatory if you are going to have a coherent narrative, and blending that with a free-for-all open world game is tough. Not that it couldn’t be done better than it is here, mind you.

Yeah, I’m looking forward to talking to everyone about the ending, as I have some rather - strong - feelings about it.

Just finished John Seed and I am of the HIGHEST agreement possible.

Spoilers:

Not 1, not 2 or even 3, but 12 back to back scripted mission objectives to wrap that up. Who on earth thought that was a good idea?!?! First you have to get to the town, then a cut-scene. I’m thinking, okay, not bad so far. Then John gets away but waves of bad guys assault the church. I mean you shoot him down (and yes I was able to do that.) But then you have to kill him and he jumps on an ATV asap once he’s on the ground. But wait, now you have to go save Hudson and she’s back at the holding compound. And then you save her, but no, you have to help her save the others, because you know, they were important to you or the story in any way possible. So you save them, but wait, what about this miscellaneous control computers you have to take out. Okay, yeah I guess, Hudson, I’ll go take those out. What do you mean I need to now blow up bliss containers? Well fuck, okay yeah, let’s get it done. What? I have to climb back out of here? Okay, well I’ve played Crackdown, I can do this. Wait, I have to, “raise the platform,” while multiple bad guys spawn around me? And there’s fire? Now I need to latch onto the chopper while they shoot at me?

So, to summarize:

1. Reach the town. (cut-scene)
  2. Firefight at the church.
  3. Chase sequence and shoot down the planes while keeping the vehicles in check.
  4. Make it to the plane, get in, fly down and dogfight with John, shoot him down.
  5. Get to where John crash lands. Chase him on the ATV and kill him.
  6. Get back to the compound, get in, kill bad guys and save Hudson.
  7. Go further in the compound and save random people you don’t give a shit about.
  8. Go to some straight-out-of-80’s control room and blow up tape readers while bad guys kamikaze you.
  9. Go deeper (!!!) blow up some Bliss container at the bottom of this facility that now only bad guys are in.
  10. Climb back out, Crackdown style.
  11. Shoot out in the middle of a facility on fire with more kamikaze bad guys. Flip switches, bitches love switches.
  12. Figure out in the middle of being on fire that you’re supposed to grapple the chopper, hopefully with a sliver of life left.
    FIN

Sorry if those are way too spoilerish but good god I nearly threw my mouse across the room after my 4th death. @Paul_cze I feel your pain, man.

To be slightly fair, you can take as long a break between 5 & 6 as you want, as that’s a different mission. Want to go tool around before getting to 6+? Go right ahead. I did.

I liked how when @Scotch_Lufkin and I were playing co-op and we were “Hunted” then we got sleep darted a couple minutes later. While in a gunship helicopter 1km in the air travelling at around 80 mph.

Apparently those darts pass through the helicopter and then men in jetpacks came and grabbed us so that we could do a unskippable cutscene and then a run and gun thing that was literally the exact same sequence as the last time it happened.

Yeah, the game would honestly be vastly better without the story beats as a sandbox where you could travel to the next story mission when you felt you wanted to, rather than having them thrust upon you.

I completely missed that. Probably because I was so close by, I thought it was part of the same overall mission series.

When I get in a car or truck, a human companion will get in with me, but why won’t the dog? He seems to just spawn wherever I am, but not in a very convincing way.

No animals in vehicles. I personally think choppering into an enemy camp and out pops a bear and a cougar would be pretty neat.

I noticed Boomer running beside me while I drive. He’s good boy and damned fast!

In the region I’m in they don’t even bother anymore with the “cultists shoot you with darts” schtick. It’s just straight up walking around and then “poof!” (Literally) cutscene!

Far Cry 5 sold nearly 5 million copies in one week.

Man, Ubisoft is absolutely killing it the last few years.

Another element of satisfaction, the importance of downloads, because publishers earn between $5 and $15 more per copy compared to the physical version.

Just a bug patch.

https://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1866021-Patch-Notes-Title-Update-4

We hope you’ve been enjoying your adventure in Hope County! The development team has prepared a new update to help you on your journey. Title Update 4 is now available for PC, and will be available for consoles on Monday April 9th.

Update appears to remove the Vector submachine gun. Now I want to check it out.

Far Cry 5 made more money in its first week than Black Panther did. (But it costs a lot more, too. ;)

Doesn’t look from the patch notes like they fixed my Nick Rye mission. :(