Far Cry 5 - Hope springs eternal

How about that Tweak mission, eh? That was fun, right?

No. It was not fun. It was dumb. I get drugs, I know how they work in Far Cry. I don’t need Tweak talking at me for five minutes about them, and I don’t need his lame shooting gallery.

I shot down a plane in the middle of the shooting gallery. The “wreckage” sat there on the street. Whole. Just black. It didn’t even break apart.

This is a mediocre game at best.

Patch downloaded and the game still says version 1.2.0 in the menu

sheesh ubi

Depends entirely on your expectations and your personal scale of quality I suppose. Oh, sure, if you break down the analysis into its quantifiable, discrete parts, you can definitely find tons of issues with this game, from mission design, to technical performance, to save game implementation, dialog, plot, progression, you name it.

But. I really can’t see it being “mediocre.” It’s way too good in the areas it’s good in, and sometimes really awful in the areas it’s bad in. For me, you can’t just average that and get “meh.” It’s a brilliant, hugely entertaining clusterfuck, in my book.

Typically I don’t rack up 88 hours on a mediocre game in it’s first two weeks. But I’ll give you a nod for some of it. At this time, with some flaws in gameplay, not necessarily bugs, it would not be a GOTY contender. Not for me, anyway. It’s sad that the game is held back in its storytelling style.

Have we moved beyond excessive scripting in single-player shooters?

I dunno. I’m struggling to come up with anything it does better than Just Cause 3, other than graphical performance, and that game was considered a disappointment. Maybe if you’e into co-op? But I hear they screwed that up too by not allowing party members to progress the story.

I ended up hate-playing all the way through Far Cry 3 and I suspect I’m going to do the same with this, growing more frustrated with every hour. But I’m a sucker for single-player open worlds.

Has Ubi made a game recently that would be a goty contender? Or that would actually win GOTY awards?

It is weird, but I think the last game they made I would consider for GOTY was perhaps FarCry 2, Assassin’s Creed 2 or Splinter Cell 3. All quite old games (two of which directed by Clint Hocking). Where is Ubisoft’s Witcher 3 or Bloodborne? Given their resources…

AC: Origins was certainly nominated for some GotY awards. But last year was a pretty tough field…

Why would they take a risk on something like TW3 when they can churn out more Far Crys and double their sales?

There are definitely some design decisions that are a negative departure from FC3 & 4. The “points” system for area progression (and the resulting missable missions) and the no-escape capture missions are a step in the wrong direction. It’s a violation of the fundamental principle of open-world gameplay – you choose what to do.

I like the point system. Like everyone else, I hate the jarring unskippable cutscenes. I just went clear across the map in my wingsuit and was moments away from my undiscovered objective when it yanked me out to have the cast in my face, intensely looking at me for 5 long minutes. I mute it and play on my phone during the cutscenes. They are soooooooooo awful. Oh wait, a brief interactive scene so I can’t just walk away and wait. Rubbish.

To be fair, I like the setup and the villians. Intense religious nuts are a pretty good antagonist. But man, they screwed up not making them skippable and so damn long.

AC:Origins was worthy of GotY honors.
One of my favorites from last year.

Didn’t play it yet, but also didn’t hear good things about its story/writing/quest design. World itself is getting praised to high heavens though, and remains the main reason I want to play it (once it gets discounted a bit).

The story/writing/quest design all have nice aspects, probably better than other ACs. The downside would be where they’ve kept the AC baggage. Greek and Roman Egypt >> Assassin bla bla.

I hear you, but what you describe doesn’t say “mediocre,” to me, it says “not a good game.” I tend to see mediocre as purely meh. I can love and play a bad game like I can watch and enjoy a bad movie, but mediocre is not worth my time.

Indeed. And, it’s sort of bizarre that clearly some of the cutscene stuff took a lot of work, and that someone put a lot of effort into it, but then didn’t bother or didn’t have time or whatever to integrate it all into a structure that either makes sense or delivers some value-added to the shooty-shooty stuff.

You know, for all the turkey hype I never saw a turkey the while time.

While I appreciate that these kinds of statistics are fun, come talk to me when Far Cry 5 grosses $1.3 billion worldwide. :)

-Tom

Having finished Far Cry 5, I bought Far Cry 4. If the “bad one” was fun, I want to see what a good Far Cry looks like.

I am a few minutes in and… Is exactly the same game? even down to UI elements.

It is almost the same, yes. It has two advantages - Pagan Min is kinda fun antagonist and Ajay spoke, unlike the mute dumbo in FC5. But I still disliked it the most of all FC games.

Then you can try Far Cry Blood Dragon. It is also exactly the same!

And then you can try Far Cry 3 - it is also exactly the same!

In other words, you should play FarCry 2 :)

Primal is the one that feels most different.

Does 5 have any of the grappling hook stuff 4 had? I liked those bits.