Far Cry 5 - Hope springs eternal

The ending replaced my previous worst ending choice on all time. The previous worst ending was the original ending of fallout 3.

Mass Effect 3 is still the worst - in part because the game before that was so good. But this is a close second.

Oh, did they end up changing FC3’s ending?

He said Fallout 3. And yes, by the time I got to the end of Fallout 3, I had to read about why everyone was so upset at the original ending.

Wow, you’re right-- I guess having my coffee in the morning really does make a difference.

About FO3’s ending, what I don’t get is what they were thinking with it if they were planning to make the DLC that they made. What, were they just going to magic away the player character’s death?

I really get a feeling that the project (FC5) had a team doing the open world stuff and a team doing the “interruptions” after you get abducted. I get that they’re trying to set a mood, and I get that the song playing in the background comes into play later, but someone has to play test it as a regular player would, not just someone testing that module isolated, but rather playing the actual game, getting pulled out of what you’re doing, then being forced to do that timed arcade run and gun over and over and over, then the next time adding MORE that you have to do etc. You can’t design a part of the game that irritates the player more than it does anything else. I just get the feeling a group designed those sections then they just glued it all together without regard for game flow or how it will be taken by the player.

I enjoyed FC5. I was a bit taken back by the ending, but OK, I understand their choice. Didn’t like it, but it was different that the standard expected ending. But the abduction/cut scenes/run and gun time arcade/you cannot continue until or unless you complete this arcade game in the time we give you truly got me VERY close to quitting.

Yes, these sucked hard, really bad choices. If they were trying to make a point, it was done in the most arrogant, condescending, and player-hostile way possible. If they just didn’t test it, well, that’s just bad project management and game development. If they tested it and didn’t get negative feedback…something must be different in the water up there.

Yes two different teams. The one was fun (let’s walk down some highway and kill some cultists or bears etc); the other “team” was just creepy.

But a couple of things they did get right. The music. The scenery. Heck I never wanted to have Far Cy in the US but … they got Montana right (at least as it looked to me). The gun play was fun. The comrades and characters were fun. The prep stashed.

Yes, I am convinced it had to be two teams and a project manager that was pressured.

So been replaying the game in preparation for New Dawn. I won’t actually be around when it comes out (I’ll be on a cruise ship off the Norway coast looking for the Northern Lights), but I wanted to be ready when I got back. While everything I said earlier still holds, I think the game could have been improved by doing just one thing.

At the every end, the ‘resist’ mission is what everyone needed to go through. As for the two endings, after you ‘win’ the last mission, you have two choices. Arrest Joseph, which leads to the ‘bad’ ending (you going crazy in the car), or shoot him, which leads to the ‘good’ ending, with Dutch dragging you into the bunker, and saying something along the lines of ‘we won, but was it worth it’, or something - still keeping with the odd decision to not have ‘happy’ endings in their games (at least main series). I mean, I guess they can’t do that, given Joseph apparently is in New Dawn, but that would have made a world of difference to me - being able to kill that asshole.

I’m hoping they make up for that in New Dawn. Also, I had to play as a male rookie this time, because being a female rookie and being cooped up with Joseph for that long was just far too much creepiness for me to handle.

FC5 currently $15 at the Ubistore…

And $12 if you use the 20% discount with ubi points

Bah. Here I was trying to make a joke about wanting the post to be about zombies DLC given the ‘28 Days Later’ line and totally blow it by screwing up my own posts.

That sounds dire. :(

Phew. :) Pics or it won’t have happened, of course.

-Tom

Do the annoyances of the forced out of the blue cutscenes make the game not worth spending the time playing?

God Rob I dunno. It is close. I really enjoyed my free time in Far Cry 5. BUT ==I really hated my non-free time.

It is almost a draw. But look – it may be worth it to see what I mean. And if it is cheap? Grab a 9 mm pistol and shoot some cultists!

If I didn’t love the mountains of Montana so much I could probably pass, but the game looks so beautiful.

For many moments the game was super fun. And Montana is a great battle ground. Just expect the creepy guys with no shirts meeting at you in cutscenes. I almost filed a complaint.

I installed it last night, gonna give it a try this weekend.

I would recommend you start with the area up north. Reason: that had the absolutely worst pull you out of what you’re doing force you to do this activity, in my opinion. It’s a timed sequence where you have to run from room to room and kill people and get to the end without getting killed or running out of time. The music in the background is a key to the ending, FWIW (no spoiler there, really.) I found this one to be VERY hard, it took a lot of repeating it to figure out how to do it (if you’re killed, you’re plopped back at the beginning to start over - I must have had to repeat it the first time 10 or more times.) And each time more is added on.

That part is so bad that, as much as a LOVED the free world portions, I almost quit the game. The reason I would do that one first is that it made the pull-you-from-whatever-youre-doing forced activities for the other sections seem easy in comparison.

I really enjoyed the game, but I’m an open world aficionado, and any game that lets me run around and do what I want when I want is gaming nirvana to me.

I actually thought the North missions were the most interesting in terms of what it was trying to do story wise. And there’s only an increase in the mission from the first to second parts - everything from the second ‘round’ to the end is the same length. No, I didn’t like how those missions started, and I dreaded the long, unstoppable cut-scenes just prior to the mission, but the missions themselves were fine (and I only had issues figuring the way to move on the first time through - that was the only way I ever failed. I was playing on easy, tho).