Far Cry 6 - Giancarlo Esposito and guns, guns, guns

Developer comment: We have made some changes for the HD Texture Pack on PC that should decrease the blurriness that appeared for some players when using the HD Texture Pack. When looking into these reports, we are seeing players using graphics cards with less than 12 GB of VRAM available. When using the HD Texture Pack with less than the minimum required VRAM available, the performance and the look of the game can be worse than without the pack.

Those paltry 12GBs.

It looks like it’s pretty much the same as all the dream sequences in Far Cry 4.

That “Ubisoft Original” doesn’t stop being laughably sarcastic bullshit.

From what I’ve seen it’s kind of a neat little roguelite experience, but the gameplay is identical to the Vaas DLC already released. New story content etc.

My kid and I fired this new DLC up last night and then played for 5 minutes and then walked away in disgust. Same shit, so boring.

I think one of the worst things that happened to video games is when file sizes got big enough that the game makers weren’t really constrained in how long their cutscenes could be. The first hour of this game is, what, about half cutscenes? And they’re all way too long, just repetitive and flabby. Having to fit your whole game on one disc enforced some economy of storytelling.

Anyway, after like 45 minutes of setup, the first thing that happened is I was able to upgrade my pants to tactical pants, and that’s when I decided maybe this game was not for me.

You wonder how much setup an Ubishooter could need. Petey seemed to cover it all above :)

IMO it’s cool that they’re turning Far Cry into a roguelite, even though that’s not anything I personally have any interest in playing, but I question their judgement in releasing three of them.

I grabbed this for 20 bucks the other day and I’m enjoying my time with it thus far. Just got through what I assume is the tutorial island.

Gotta say, it’s nice to finally be able to holster my weapon, purely for the aesthetics of the whole thing. Not being constantly attacked by enemies is a plus, too.

I wonder if this’ll be the first FC game I actually complete. Probably not, but at least I’m not frustrated as hell after 4 hours like I was with FC5.

Also, I like riding horseys!

Out of curiosity, was that 20 dollar price from the EGS with the $10 off coupon?

No, it was $20 at Gamestop. That was enough to get me to the mall during a lunch break.

Physical media? From brick and mortar stores? What is this, 1998?

God I wish.

And when you want to watch a show, you have to wait a week for an episode!

I have to say that this season pass content has been pretty bad so far. As a one-off experiment, sure. Why not? But all three DLCs like this? Ugh.

Wasn’t the FarCry 5 season pass also shit? I never bothered to get it.

My knees are still shot and I need to lose like 20 pounds. Dammit! You got my hopes up for a second.

Far Cry 5’s season pass was pretty good. You got a mission on Mars, a mission in Vietnam, and a zombie mission. Each one had gameplay that was a little different, but not crazy far off from the main game.

I wouldn’t mind one of this season pass DLC being the experimental run & gun poor man’s roguelike, but all three of them being this sucks.

Immortal Fenix experimented with its season pass content too, but with only one of the DLC’s which turned it into an isometric ARPG. It wasn’t very good, but it was just one piece out of the three, so it was kind of a neat way to give you MOTS and try something a little different.

So that’s really what this turned out to be? Different villains, each with the same basic rogue-like structure set on the Far Cry 6 map? Surely there’s something interesting distinguishing them from each other?

Ah, yes, thanks for the reminder about how good that DLC was. In addition to varying gameplay, I also liked their varying tones. The Mars stuff was a straight up comedy and I recall it played directly to some of Far Cry 5’s best writing. And I loved the “Behind Enemy Lines” vibe of the Vietnam DLC. Way to make me want to reinstall!

Ugh, this reminds me I have yet to try any of Fenix’s DLC. Pretty lame of me, considering it was my favorite game that year.

-Tom