Far Cry 6 - Giancarlo Esposito and guns, guns, guns

Indeed, it’s really weird that they chose to make all three DLCs roguelites. From what I’ve seen they have essentially identical gameplay, but the narrative diverges based on each villain’s inner demons.

Vaas is all about his sister taunting him and being afraid of the fratboy protagonist, Pagan Min is secretly gay or bi and has daddy issues, and Joseph Seed isn’t out yet but I’m sure it’ll have apocalyptic/biblical Revelations type stuff.

These aren’t low effort throwaway DLCs. They built tons of assets for each one, each has a different map, they aren’t set in pieces of FC6 faux-Cuba, they brought back the original voice actors, etc. But they share the same roguelite gameplay and it’s tough to imagine most people wanting to play that thrice.

I know the feeling.

Assuming that you bought a console version, since I very much doubt GameStop is carrying PC games these days. If so, does it have good HDR?

I’ll pick it up if I see it at 20 or less, because I like what I’ve seen.

Sheesh, it’s not enough that @Telefrog has me thinking of reinstalling Far Cry 5, but now frickin’ @stusser is making me want to play Far Cry 6 DLC?

-Tom

My suggestion is to wait for the Joseph Seed one to release, ask people which of the three is the best, and then play that one. Unless you feel up to doing it three times, I guess. Story stuff will be on YouTube anyway.

So what was the overall opinion of FC6 here?

I don’t think it’s out yet, is it? Either that or it wasn’t very memorable.

-Tom

Same as everywhere, it’s another Far Cry game and if you feel like playing a Far Cry game then Far Cry 6 is definitely a Far Cry game.

Far Cry 6 is the ultimate expression (so far, at least) of the Ubigame. Bland, repetitive, and very little different in good ways from its predecessors.

Just go back and play FC5, you’ll have all the FC Ubigame you’ll ever need or want.

Far Cry games are like Taco Bell. They have like ten ingredients and everything on the menu is those same things mixed up in slightly different ways.

“Hey Ronny, you tried the new Taco Bell crunchwrap fiesta quinciniera supreme? So how was it?”

“Pay attention, will ya? It tasted like Taco Bell. Live mas, motherfucker.”

Sometimes you feel like Taco Bell. Perhaps you suffer from constipation.

The Far Crys might be the best use of the Ubisoft sub service.

LOL. I love the responses.

Well…my kid and I loved it. We love all the Far Crys…if I was not playing coop, I dunno.

It looks great to me, but I never know if I’ve got the HDR dialed in just right with the TV settings. It’s a low end Samsung and today found myself fiddling with all kinds of settings to see if I could get it looking just a little better.

More Farcry, less (much less) Joseph Steed dream and cutscene crap stuff. I find myself less interest in the story as well from me but I honestly had no issues with it. I have yet to finish it. I’ve put in about 48 hours, and about 10 of those are multiplayer co-op.

I haven’t even finished half the game. The starter island takes a bit long before opening up to you, in my opinion. But the gear curve peaks kind of early if you really do all the side stuff. There is quite a bit of, “really doesn’t matter,” gear and weapons in the game. You’ll lock down what you like early and end up upgrading that to your playstyle so the rest of the things presented become somewhat muted.

There isn’t really anything keeping me from playing still except I’m waiting on my co-op partner to want to roll again.

EDIT: I almost forgot it suffers from the earlier Farcry series mainstay: when you hit a certain point in the game, every encounter is geared to be hard or to turn that way pretty quickly. Not hard as in you’ll worry about it, just in that it’s slowly amped that up and you expect it. No more of a couple of guys not paying attention. This version features commando troops that will fly in and drop on you when you get the equivalent of wanted levels. That’s easier to trigger and to face the farther you go through. Again, maybe just my experience.

Even I, a great fan of repetition, sameness, and unchanging expectations find Far Cry 6 to be an Ubi too far. Yeah, I played through it. Once. No desire to play it again, or any of the DLC. In contrast, I’ve played the others several times each.

For fucks sake, I really suck at stealth. No matter how long I take to set things up, no matter how cautious I am, no matter how many alarms I disable, I still manage to cock things up and have a major gunfight on my hands. Thank God for the backpack thingy that shoots rockets. It takes care of the always-summoned helicopter quite nicely.

This game does not do stealth. Not really. It’s no Thief, for sure.

Ubisoft seems to have a very efficient, or at least very high bandwidth, asset pipeline, but a very poor system for making different kinds of gameplay.

You CAN do stealth in this game, it’s just a pain in the ass. It’s really satisfying to take out an outpost with no alarms or detection though. Spotting really helps.

That is not so much stealth as it is abusing the AI weaknesses and the mechanics for range, aiming, and sound propagation, or lack thereof. I guess you can call it stealth but to me it’s really more taking advantage of the dismal enemy AI.