Far Cry Primal - In prehistoric eras, they still had towers to climb

I wasn’t impressed. I realize that this isn’t a Stone Age simulator but the guy was lobbing grenades which kind of took me out of things.

Indeed - however tired the word is, this does seem like a reskin of the series, not a groundbreaking move towards something new.

Normally I’d agree. But the coop mode in FC4 didn’t hurt the game at all, and added an incredibly fun aspect. Running around the country side with a friend, teaming up to take out a tough fortress, jumping on a buzzer and flying low over an enemy convoy while your friend is hanging on to it with a grenade launcher tell you “More to the left! More to the left! Wait, slow down! GOT HIM!” was so much fun. And I rarely play anything other than SP.

And it doesn’t appear that they are creating a new game engine or anything really “new” here that would require taking away the co-op mode from FC4.

There were no tampons in FC4. Maxi pads, okay? Yes, difference!

Exactly. That guy is obviously touched in the head. Don’t forget jamming guns. Every few shots (new guns too) jammed.

I’m calling you out. There are several bell towers that are too high for the buzzer to reach completely on it’s own. It starts beeping and loses altitude. (The towers themselves are all reachable, in theory, if all were in valleys, but some are already on high ground, high enough for the buzzer to start beeping at the base of the tower.) You would have had to climb some, assuming you cleared them all. Why do you even bother to play the game? It sounds like you think it’s a chore. Read a book instead. Who was forcing you to play Far Cry 4?

Oh, and as for Shit Cry Primal? Pile of rotting placenta. Will skip until regular price is $29.99 or less, and has a 75% off discount on top. That’s how I play.

Hey, try some decaf! ;) I loved FC4! And once I figured out the mini chopper capability on towers, I never climbed another tower. There were some that required some trial and error, and I didn’t start using the buzzer for towers until about half way through, but I never ran into the problem you are mentioning.

In terms of “WHO FORCED YOU TO PLAY FC4 WHEN YOU OBVIOUSLY HATE THE GAME!?!?!” - LOL! I have said repeatedly that I was ambivelent to disappointed in FC3 and loved FC4. I think being open enough to let me clear a tower in more than one way is a nice design feature. And the co-op feature was a very nice touch and allowed me to play with a buddy and have an absolute blast.

I’m highly disappointed that they are cutting the co-op piece out of FC Primal. The game as described seems to be going in a direction away from how I prefer to play - I enjoy playing FC3 and FC4 as a stealthy “Rambo”, sneaking up on the bad guys in the woods and taking the last guy in line out quietly with an arrow, watching the other bad guys slowly realize something unseen is out there taking them out; I preferred taking out enemy held locations with stealth (bow and arrows and knife, undetected.) The last think I want is to have a big pet following me around.

Embargoes dropping on a 30 minute intro gameplay and open-world build sent to some sites.

I’m kind of surprised to see that Rachel Brown likes a game other than bashing Steam. Good for you, girl!

I gotta try Far Cry 4. I liked 3 for most of it, and I hear 4 is pretty much 3 but better. I’ll get it in some sale some day. ;)

I would prefer Poop Cry Primal. Just works better, word-wise.

Watched a few vids, looks like more of the same with slightly different mechanics. The game won’t be anywhere near a survival simulator that they’re trying to market it as though. One thing that I just don’t get - who keeps greenlighting this style of writing for the FC series? It’s so insane and offputting.

Presumably whoever’s bonus is tied to this:

just wanted to pop in to say far cry 2 is the best far cry

What have you done?

10+ posts debating Far Cry 2 incoming…

Always will be.

-Todd

I wish I could high five you right now.

On topic - taking away coop seems like a step backwards to me. I was actually hoping that they would expand the player count to 4 to make a “tribe” - it even feels like a better fit thematically than FC4’s “here just be Herc” second player. I hope it’s a mode that returns in future FC games.

As far as I can tell, Ubisoft seems to have backed away somewhat from their “everything open world with MP” mandate from a couple of years ago. They’re still open-world heavy, but MP is being limited to titles with a clear monetization path.

The co-op stuff in Far Cry 4 didn’t have a good way to entice people to buy DLC/microtransactions. It was just a way to fool around with buddies, which while appreciated by some, apparently didn’t impact sales enough to put it in the next Far Cry.

Note that Ubisoft dropped the co-op stuff from AC: Syndicate after AC: Unity as well.

Edit: Oh, and Far Cry 2 sucked.

Except for blood dragon.

I saw a video by an Italian guy who focuses more on technical aspects and I wasn’t too impressed.

The AI is still rather crap and it’s easy to cheese it by shooting from cliffs, with the poor animals just staying there looking helplessly at you or just trying to walk back to their spawn points. Still looks like a reskin.

Once you swap the graphics for a different setting not much seems different. Still the same moves, still the same flow, same engine, same patterns of “random” or emergent behaviors that are scripted as usual and just repeat over and over.

The “biggest” difference: instead of flipping a switch on a tower now you find a pile of wood that you have to light up. But, oh, it’s not just press A and it takes fire. Nope you have to use a torch and walk all around it so it properly burns. This is the extent of the advances on “immersion”.

So, it still looks as a shallow open world where substance just isn’t there. Without more complex AI patterns and interactions these games end up all just about the same.

Awe man, they missed a chance to start them signal fires the old fashioned way, with 2 rocks and some kindling. They could have even had a press A to gently blow option. :(

I could have sworn I saw the “two rocks” thing in the opening part of the game that Polygon showed a few days ago (and i just watched a part of last night). Not in any “tower liberation” sequence though.

The linguistic aspect is interesting–how they hired some academics to come up with a speculative Proto-proto-Indo-European, which the characters speak in cut-scenes (rather than have them speak “Cave Man English”). I was trying to pick out the meanings of some of the words spoken based on the subtitles. But then I’m the guy who liked to play AC II with the English subtitles while listening to mellifluous Italian. :-)

EDIT: I enjoyed the hell out of Far Cry 2 (though, sadly, didn’t play it nearly long enough). Could have done without the poorly-timed malaria symptoms though.

I can’t think of another game that is as confusingly divisive as Far Cry 2. So many people think it’s absolutely brilliant, and then so many people (myself included) think it’s just a soulless piece of crap in a pretty wrapper. I like open world FPS games. Hell, Shadow of Chernobyl and Call of Pripyat are two of my favorite games ever, but Far Cry 2 is to STALKER what rice cakes are to real cakes. What bacon bits are to bacon. The game is just a failure in every respect save for the engine.

The game world is lifeless and boring. If not for the psychopathic humans whose only AI routine is to HATEMURDERKILL if they so much as catch a glimpse of you in the distance, one might legitimately confuse the game for a tech demo. I mean what is there to actually do? Run around looking for briefcases with diamonds in them, which might be the dumbest gameplay element in history if not for the alternative—hacking into radio towers to get missions to kill random people.

The weapon system is just beyond stupid. Everything is barely functional scrap unless it’s in the hands of the enemy. Or you buy one online, which then grants you an unlimited supply of them at your safe houses? Right.

I just can’t. I’m not even going to get into this again.

The original Far Cry, though, is awesome.