Food Recalls (that are interesting)

Yummm, that will add a delicious savory flavor to your Shiga toxin…

Romaine sucks–way too much white hard stuff. Iceberg not much better. Give me Bibb/Butter/Boston, or Spring mix (which I’m pretty sure is just some French guy mowing his lawn) or just arugula.

I eat nothing but highly processed food and drink (Doritos, fast food, etc.), and thus I have never been affected by any recall of actual food.

Romaine does seem to have gotten worse over time. I remember in the 90s we only got Romaine because it was fully deep green, almost no white hard stuff except at the stem, which is a nice addition anyway to provide crispness. But nowadays, at least locally here in Kansas City, it’s gotten less and less and less green over time, to the point where the whole thing is almost as light as Iceberg lettuce nowadays. I’m sure it’s better at other parts of the country, but it’s been trending poorly here.

You may just be seeing more hearts of romaine. The darker green leaves are on the outside, tend not to be as crisp, and are not preferred for use in Caesar salads. A lot of processed romaine (i.e., you’re not buying a whole head) have the outer leaves stripped.

Yep, or as some marketing asshole here coined the phrase, “baby romaine.”

Maybe they should stop spraying liquid pig manure on crops.

For what it’s worth, more recently I thought it was more of an issue with runoff from nearby fields where livestock was kept, not necessarily even the ones where crops grew. I don’t know how well stats were kept but that seriously makes me wonder how many outbreaks of stuff like this happened 50 years ago.

Kind of the opposite of a recall. Also politics (in the sense that NBC chose to call it a “Trump rule” in their headline, but the kind that could have a real affect on folks who choose to not read things in P&R:

The new rules move much of pork inspection to company employees, move the USDA inspectors off of the actual processing line, and remove limits on line speed.

Potential defects, according to Mauer, include feces, sex organs, toenails, bladders and unwanted hair.

She and other inspectors claim plant employees with little experience or training are doing minimal checking and sorting in an effort to maintain line speeds and keep plant owners happy.

“They’re doing the same job as we were doing in a traditional plant. And we’re, you know, verifying them. You can’t really see very much in that time. So there’s a lot of contamination heading out the door,” Vallone said.

Unsafe pork has already made it to US consumers. It is named Trump.

I managed to not eat beef for a year. I suppose I can hold off pork for one or more years too.

Very good.

Not seen this gif before holy hell can she push his buttons. LOL.

Yeah, I’m done with pork until things change. Hopefully that will be soon, but I suspect it wont be.

I’ll miss the occasional good pork chop, but they only have themselves to blame.

Ham and bacon here although I realize to avoid this problem I can also go with a lot more expensive but locally sourced. I am fortunate to have easy access to that.

This food inspection issue shouldn’t affect you if you buy whole cuts of meat and follow proper food-handling procedures. Ground meat and/or processed food products are where you would potential run into issues.

That’s terrible. Also to help those who are worried about what they purchased here is an important line from the article.

This alert does not affect eggs you bought at the store and then hard-boiled at home on your own. It only affects store-bought hard-boiled eggs and products that contain them.

TIL there are already cooked and peeled hard boiled eggs.

I guess this explains (maybe?) the fact that I went to Walmart yesterday for eggs, and there no eggs. They had taken all the eggs out, which is a monumental task at Walmart where there are normally a LOT of eggs every time I’ve ever gone.

OTOH, if the recall was for hard boiled eggs, then this must be something different.