Fortnite - A New Game by Epic

Esports, how can this be even considered a sport? Maybe i’m old, but last time I heard sport involved some form of physical activity.

I tend to see it referred to as esports, not sports, due to that distinction.

They’re individual or team based competitive matches that people watch in the millions, so it’s similar to watching sports on TV. I don’t watch any of it personally, but I get why the term is esport fits.

But you watch people doing real stuff, here you watch people doing imaginary things on a computer (playing a game), and ‘E’ stand for electronic so it’s just ‘electronic sport’.

Is watching poker competitions on TV called sports?

Poker is a card game that is gambling, so it’s not a sport either.

The likes, they are strong with this post.

This. Skilfully passing an inflated leather sphere through a metal hoop is “real”!

Edit: this is a little snarky. I meant to make the point that sports are meaningless activities, same as games. We’re just used to see them in the context of spectating and less so with gaming.

The competion is real, regardless if it’s a game. Chess has competitions that people follow, is that similarly imaginary? Or is using a physical board real chess, and playing electronically imaginary chess?

The term esport is used because of the similarities to how these events are organized and consumed by fans. They hold tournaments for competition and fans fill stadiums as well as watch from home, just like we do traditional sports like football, tennis, etc.

Is it a perfectly accurate word from a pedant’s point of view? Maybe not, but isn’t email similar? By definition it can’t be mail, since it’s not conveyed via the postal system. But it’s very similar to mail, just done in an electronic way, so we slap an ‘e’ at the start of the word and everyone knows what you mean.

It is, for the people that play it. But I wellcome building to the FPS world. Maybe not fast building, but building in general is a great adition to gaming. We already have all the other FPS that are about fast reaction and good aim, is good to have one game that adds to that.

Dumbass

Dumb move and people still defend his cheating ways. Hope he remains banned and learns from it. Apparently some of his followers need to learn as well. Using cheats in single player is one thing, using it against others in multiplayer regardless if it’s a competitive game or not is a totally different thing.

Which is a problem on Fortnite since it has a singleplayer campaign using the same invasive bullshit “anti cheat” (that example above shows doesn’t work) that you are prevented from cheating in, due to the above…

Well, “prevented”.

So I installed this on a whim, wondering if I could play it with my six year old kid. Because, hey, it’s a kid’s game, right…?

The game drops you right into the gameplay without so much as letting you set your graphic settings, let alone customize your keybinds or figure whatever the hell it is you’re supposed to do. At one point I was stuck in the purple storm for like 30s. Fortunately I had some bandages so I was able to heal up when I got out.

In that first game I came out 10th. In the second game it threw me into a squad of strangers. And I also noticed when I killed people they went down to crawling, which was weird. And I could pick them up! I LOL’d at that. I met up with the one remaining member of my squad and we won the match. OK, cool, I guess. I don’t think I unlocked a damn thing for winning.

The game feels too much like a mobile game in that it’s always begging for money and everything requires money and it even looked like it had pay-to-win elements. Anyway, I mostly enjoyed exploring the locations. Building stuff seemed dumb and pointless. And of course, there’s no way my kid could play this at age six.

If you’re wanting to play with a six-year old you could try the original PVE portion of the game.

I think I clicked that and it said it was in early-release and you could only play it if you spent money?

Fortnite originally had plans to make its PvE mode go fully free to play in 2018 (after a period of letting people buy in early). I suspect those plans were derailed by the sudden popularity of Battle Royale mode. I mean, at the end of the day, it’s all about that revenue stream.

Fortnite is fun. I’m 56 and I’ve played a bunch of Battle Royale. Won 4 or 5 solo matches out of 50-60…usually in the top 10. I do more tactical stuff than a lot of people just running around willy nilly. The building is good to use to get higher, as defense, etc.

Have a good time also playing with the 13 year old. He does not listen to my instructions and usually gets us killed fairly early but it 's fun. We also play on the Playground, just him against me and that is a blast.

I’ve NEVER felt like i needed to buy anything…ever…I just play with my basic stuff and do good and enjoy it. Then I wont play for a few months, then log in and have fun again…good entertainment for Free!

Sorry. Maybe? I haven’t played in quite some time but I had heard last year that it was going F2P. From what Alan says, that might not have ever happened.

I’m surprised that you felt like it was always begging for money. There are plenty of places to spend V-bucks, but you can play the game forever without ever spending a cent and you won’t be at a disadvantage.

As for building, it’s simply required as you get out of the easy matchmaking (and likely bots) you played against at the start. You can always create your own cover, and you need to, or you will die.

You’re probably underestimating your six year old too if you let them just sit and play it for awhile. :)

For reference, my kids are now 21, 19 and 18. They were damn good at videogames at age 6. They are on a whole different level today.