Fox News thread of fine journalism

This gave me a chuckle this morning, thank you.

Matt, when was that? It makes me wonder if I got that during basic or later on while serving. I think you served around the same time as me?

It was during deployment in 2003-4. I think they only vaccinated deployed units (and it may have been only ships) because you actually present a risk to unvaccinated (for smallpox) kids for a couple of days after you get it. You’d remember if you had it. It results in a painful sore about an inch in diameter on your shoulder that eventually scabs up and leaves a scar, and it feels like you have the flu for 2-3 weeks after getting it. Many days of whole watch teams basically leaning on the equipment and groaning during watches.

Are people not routinely vaccinated for smallpox any more? I guess I just assumed that some of the dozens of vaccination shots my kids got included smallpox, like they did when I was a kid.

I found it, it sounds like I missed out, but based on that description, meh, I’m good. It also sounds like they have continued it to this day.

Because it was eradicated in the wild they don’t feel the need to.

Understandable, given how shitty the vaccination sounds! That sounds pretty awful.

Not since 1972 in the United States. It’s not a shot–it’s administered subcutaneously by dipping a needle (or other sharp instrument) in vaccine solution and then pricking your shoulder a few times.

Some kind of scarring from vaccination (either smallpox or, probably more commonly, TB) is very common in Asia.

(I don’t have one, being born in the US, but many of my schoolmates from Hong Kong and Singapore did).

Yep. My sister, 4 years older than me, has a smallpox mark on her shoulder from the vaccination. I don’t, they had quit by the time I was old enough apparently.

I have the mark on my shoulder.

My Guatemalan mother has one as well. IIRC the particular TB vaccine she had more or less lifetime-bans her from giving blood, as she’s come up TB positive ever since, or something (I’m positive I’m misremembering part of that).

Mine is on my left calf. Born in Hong Kong.

I’m old enough that I’m positive I had smallpox inoculations. And I vaguely recall getting it. But I don’t have the scar. I don’t think it’s 100% guaranteed to happen.

Yup, me, too. A still very pronounced mark on my left deltoid.

Being old I have one as well. I don’t remember it being as bad as someone upthread mentioned though. Any idea how old most kids were when they got vaccinated back in the day?

I have a TB vaccination scar, we all got them in school, at 14 or so i guess.

My wife and I - being just shy of 50 - both have the smallpox vaccine scar. My wife’s in on her thigh while mine is on my shoulder.

I thought my kids had the scar on their thighs too, but I guess probably not. Does my not having a detailed knowledge of my daughters’ thighs make me a bad father or a good one?

And like Armondo’s Mom, I also occasionally test inconclusively positive for TB due to an odd reaction to the vaccine.

I also have chickenpox scars. Back in the day there was no standard vaccine for chickenpox of mumps, and if a kid in the neighborhood got either or those diseases, all the young parents would rush over to their house so that their young children would get it too. The logic being that chickenpox, measles and mumps were minor, one-and-done diseases if you got them as kids, but could have potentially debilitating consequences if you catch them as adults.

The past sucked a lot of the time. Stranger Things and That 70s Show kind of gloss over a lot of shit.

My wife studied in Japan, and stayed with a host family at the time. As a good host-daughter, she accompanied them on some family activities on weekends. One of these activities was visiting their grandfather in the hospital. As they went, the conversation went something like:
“Why is he in the hospital?”
“He has <translation unknown>.”

So they get the to hospital and he’s in a room off to the side somewhere with some other old men, the ward again having signs that my wife couldn’t read. They hang out for a couple of hours, and go home.

Years later, she goes to the doctor to get a blood test, and they tell her that she tested positive for TB and she’ll need a chest x-ray. As you may have guessed, the host grandfather had TB, and the room was the TB ward. The chest x-rays always come out clear, so she doesn’t have TB, but she’s been exposed to TB, and always tests positive for it, and hasn’t been able to give blood for years.

That’s terrifying!

But a fascinating story.

But terrifying!

Left shoulder for me.