Fox News thread of fine journalism

“Superman does what he’s always done and stands for what he’s always stood for.”

Can I get “The only person responsible for the blackness smothering your soul is you” printed a million times on mailers and just send that to everyone in my state?

Honestly, I’d love that

So we need a new thread for FUD corporate propaganda? Here’s Sinclair Media…

The company that owns WJAR-TV is mandating the broadcast of multiple programs favorable to President Donald Trump on the state’s most-watched television station.

Sinclair Broadcast Group, a rapidly growing media company that bought Channel 10 in 2014, produces “must-run” segments and distributes them to its local stations nationwide. They must air during daily news programming, Sinclair executives said.

Sinclair is poised to become the nation’s largest owner of TV stations and, with its recent hire of former Trump aide Boris Epshteyn, viewers can expect to see more of the chain’s political programming.

‒ The Terrorism Alert Desk, advertised as a daily news update about terrorist activity.

‒ News pieces from Epshteyn, Sinclair’s chief political analyst.

‒ A clearly labeled opinion show featuring Mark Hyman, a former vice president of the company.

These pieces are fed to Sinclair’s 174 stations in the United States every day.

Sinclair’s insertion of the segments into news programming has been harshly critiqued by Rhode Islanders and national commentators.

John Oliver did a segment on them a few months ago.

They own two stations in the Seattle area now. One of them (KOMO) occasionally dumped the “must run” segments into early morning, but I doubt they are getting away with that now. I haven’t watched local news in a decade or more, personally.

I wonder how true this is for a lot of people. I no longer watch news on TV either, unless it’s something unusual happening like Hurricane Irma.

I do read my local paper and I read Google’s news aggregate. That’s about it for my source of news.

I was surprised at how many people still watch local news.

When I was manager at a convenience store where my clerk was robbed at gunpoint, the police took our camera footage and put it on all the local news stations, and they were flooded with tips immediately on who that guy was, and he was immediately arrested. And it was just a 15 second piece on most newscasts that night. So people still watch local news, was my conclusion. This was back in 2013.

My wife and I watch 30 min of local news and 30 min of major network national news most evenings. I do it because I don’t typically have time during the day to browse sites, and I like to catch up at dinnertime. My wife does it because I make her. :D Of course those 60 minutes break down as follows:

local news:
10 minutes: local headlines (i.e., the “dead count”)
15 minutes: local weather + sports
2 minutes: feel-good story

national news:
5 minutes: breaking news… always breaking news
5 minutes: non-breaking news
5 minutes: promos for upcoming stories
5 minutes advertisements for drugs
5 minutes: advertisements for upcoming shows
2 minutes: feel-good stories

They do a LOT of teasers on the national news - if it was a website it’d be clickbait titles all over. After the first 10 minutes they go into a “show 2 commercials, show 1 minute of story” mode, which lets them tease you 2-3 times for each of the upcoming stories… “you won’t believe how this story ended up,” “this clip seems normal, but what comes next will shock you”… over and over. It’s pretty depressing to think where national news reporting has ended up.

When I first moved to CA, I watched a ton of local news to acclimate myself to the area.

Then a bunch of ignorant fucksticks elected a fascist as president and I’ve been watching msnbc ever since.

Do you find MSNBC tiring after a while? There’s all this outrage, and that’s great…but it’s mentally and emotionally exhausting. In the end, I think MSNBC folk’s message is better and more correct than FOX’s, but both are straining so damn hard for my attention by saying whatever it takes to get to the base.

I prefer BBC/NPR for my news, 'cause they seem to be far less…clickbaity, for lack of a better term. My wife watches a ton of MSNBC, and half an hour of it is more than all I need for the “OH MY GOD THINGS ARE TERRIBLE - EVERYBODY PANIC” I need to hear, while offering very little in the way to suggest actually DOING something about it.

I mostly watch Maddow, who’s fantastic. I particularly love it when she opens her show with a 15 minute political history lesson and then segues into why that’s important to what happened today. Forgiving that everything is about Trump, Russia, and the GOP, I don’t find her to be too unfair or biased.

I sometimes catch some of Chris Hayes’ show, who is also very good and not too unfair. I like Lawrence O’Donnell the least as he’s the most biased and I don’t care for his talking-head-squares that Maddow never does. He does do some great monologs on occasion, though.

Her Trump tax reveal killed me, as in…killed my interest. Don’t you feel just a tad bit played by those shenanigans? I enjoyed her a lot more a few years ago when we had less collective handwringing we needed to do OCD style until the skin came off.

Yeah, it’s been a long time since I watched any kind of television news. Occasionally I see a spot online or a 60 minutes excerpt, but that’s about it.

In the bay area, you get a lot of microclimates, and sometimes it’s easier to just see the weather where they run down the entire area’s morning day evening forecasts (esp. as I can have a 30+ degree differential from home and work, and I like to wear shorts to work if the weather stays nice).

Yeah, the tax reveal was a mistake, but everyone has a shitty show sometimes.

I believe if you’re not handwringing, if you’re not outraged, well, you’re not paying attention.

Where is the science fiction explanation for how we’ve somehow entered an alternate reality where news people are concerned about witches casting spells?

Trump voters?

LOL, “HOCUS POTUS”, what a great chyron.

Why am I not the least bit surprised that Los Angeles has an “Oracle”? That said, she’s very attractive, well-spoken and definitely has a better grasp of the issues we face than Tucker Carlson does. She should have her own show on MSNBC. ;-)

One of my local stations is owned by Sinclair but I think they have only shown the stupid Terrorism Alert Desk. They do also show some show by a guy named Boris who used to be in the Trump administration I think.