Galactic Civilizations 3 announced

I love 4 x games. I loved Galciv 2 - hell, I spent MONTHS in the IRC channel, sprouting suggestions and generally being a well-meaning pain in the ass. But for some reason, I can’t get into Galciv 3. It just seems weird to me. I think its that it seems so open, and gameplay seems centered around your ships, instead of around your planets.

I think I know what you mean. In Crusade we started building up the planets more with actual farming, word on the street, citizens. Have your tried Crusade?

Not yet, but I’ve installed galciv 3 again and will most certainly try it out again ☺

We have a quick AI update that went out today before the holidays. :)

https://forums.galciv3.com/486559/

And a new dev journal!

Are there any more expansion plans for the game, or is it pretty much finished up in terms of major releases?

Also, does anyone know if you can use custom races in MP yet? I think I recall it being mentioned as something that was being looked at, but I don’t recall if anything came of it.

There will be another expansion. We haven’t said much about it yet but I’m sure that will change. :)

Great to hear!

Just a note that GalCiv III and expansions are on sale in the Steam winter sale. :)

I see there’s an upgrade from GC1 and 2 to GC3. I own GC 2 but I bought it from the old Stardock service. I guess there’s no way to get the same upgrade deal?

Yep, we have an upgrade on our site too.

The upgrade can be added here.

The AI dev journal is pretty nice. Sheds some light on why the initial AI for GalCiv3 had issues and why it’s getting so much stronger (hint: more Brad hours)

Just hope Brad doesn’t give into his grumbles about the precursor DLC making things so hard to balance and then he nerfs it. Precursors is my favorite part of the game. It’s like finding treasure planet.

I don’t get it. Do I have to enter my cd key or something or is it all just honor based?

I believe it’s checking your account to see if you have the previous version.

Ok I grabbed it, thanks. I didn’t spend much time playing GC 2 (not the game’s fault) so I’m glad it allowed me to get the 3rd one for a reasonable price. So it looks like the Crusade expansion is pretty critical to have. How about the other DLC? Should I just get the Crusade expansion or should I grab the whole bundle?

Crusade is practically mandatory. That’s why it’s Steam reviews are so good.

The other expansions / DLC are optional.

Some of the DLC are purely story missions, so if you’re only interested in the sandbox they’re a waste of money. Unfortunately, Steam’s DLC hover info is terrible so you need to click on each one to find out which are of value. (I think this is responsible for some of the DLC rage on this and other games that have many small expansion items.)

Brad has posted the latest dev journal and talks improvements, balance, design and direction. :)

https://www.stardock.com/games/article/486951/galciv-dev-journal-january-2018

You’ll be happy to know that the Spectre and Meltdown fixes you may have heard of will affect GalCiv III very little because we don’t rely on single CPU core performance.

This has been my greatest concern with those upcoming fixes… how my grand strategy games where the AI needs time to process complex turns could add 10-30% turn time. Well, and Subnutica too which relies on efficient/fast data streaming and will once again start hitching bad.

Announcing Galactic Civilizations III: Intrigue!

Establish a reign that starts on a single homeworld and expands across the galaxy! The new expansion will let you choose a form of government, buy & sell in the galactic market, establish a commonwealth, and much more.

Learn more and see the exclusive trailer here: