God of War (PS4)

I like the kid

So I started again on the third difficulty level and it’s made the combat much more interesting. Even trash combat requires a lot more patience attention and timing. I got to the actual first boss ( not what I thought was the first boss) and thought it was a great fight. So far is living up to the hype less than 2 hours in. Good exploration. Kratos so grumpy!

Yeah, it seems you really do need to use the ranged attack on many enemies. I resisted it at first because it didn’t feel very God of War, but that troll would have been almost impossible without it, and there are lots of grunts that are much more vulnerable to ranged.

I think @tomchick would love this because it’s so similar to Darksiders.

Yeah, Darksiders is actually a better comparison than Dark Souls.

Maybe I should play Darksiders again.

Kratos has a bow in GoW 2 and 3, though. Also the blades are kinda ranged to begin with.

Is there a trick to getting the PS4 Pro to not sound like an airplane engine while playing this game? It’s a bit distracting, to put it mildly.

Sure, but other than the occasional archer, you never really needed to use the bow, is my recollection. I basically just dived in the fray and fucked things up with the chains. Whereas with this game, half the enemies so far, including several melee ones, are better handled at range.

And between fights, if you’re taking too long to solve a puzzle, he’ll say things like, “maybe you should check that gate up there”. Shut up, kid. Let me explore at my own pace. I had the same beef about Tomb Raider and Lara blurting out puzzle hints. I might be alone in this opinion and maybe most gamers need the spoilers.

I’ve been playing this more and i must say, it’s really good.

Some of you guys are going to get a kick it off the interaction between Kratos and his son, I think.

When it starts off, Kratos is easily the worst dad in the world. But the interesting thing is that their interactions actually evolve as you play.

Not just the bits in the cutscenes, but all aspects of their interactions with each other. Their banter back and forth while you are sailing around, even what they say during and after combat. It’s interesting, going beyond what was done in “the last of us”.

The kid himself evolves as you play, and does some interesting stuff. His skills improve and he starts don’t more in combat, but the way he acts changes. At one point he gets pissed off at kratos for something, and then his verbal responses get pissy for a while. He doesn’t follow as closely.

Also, he provides some assistance in finding stuff, although it is subtle… Hell periodically say, “huh, what’s that?” Or something along those lines, and stop briefly to look at something. It doesn’t force you to look at it, and he’s generally not in front of you. So when you hear it, you sometimes need to figure out where he’s gotten to, and then go walk over to him, look in the direction he’s facing… And there’s usually something there. I say usually because there’s been one case where i couldn’t tell what he was looking at.

It’s a good mechanic, and it sometimes kicks in after you’ve been in an area searching for a rune for a while, and you are starting to get frustrated.

Anyway, the kids is well done, and is probably one of the highlights of a game with a lot of highlights.

It wouldn’t be a GoW game if you weren’t lugging around a severed head at some point.

I just finished the game. Feels …short, but I played at the lowest difficulty level so maybe is that. You can continue playing after finishing.

How much of the side quest stuff did you do? Most of the reviewers mentioned around 30-40 hours if you did all the side stuff.

I did has much has I could. Did skip the collecting items ones.

Maybe is because I played in easy. I did killed more than 1000 monsters (I have the achievement). I dunno.

How long did it take you then? On easy doing all the side stuff? Just curious, I don’t really want it to be 25-35 hours, I’m worried I’ll lose interest before I beat it, so I’m kind of glad to hear someone say it’s not that long.

I’m guessing he missed a bunch of stuff.

I know everyone loves this game, and i like it too, but the combat is a real problem for me.

I’m not super far in, so maybe things change, but…

Every enemy is a super bullet sponge. They can take dozens of hits and you die in a few hits from even the easiest enemy. Is this supposed to make me feel like some greek god badass or whatever kratos is? The fights are often really long too, so one mistake basically means i restart the bullet sponge again.

Combat is so far pretty bland and repetitive. Enemies are visually interesting, but it is skin deep.

I feel like every dark souls alike i’ve played (from bloodborne to lords of the fallen) has much better combat than this game. If we don’t want to talk about dark souls, there are games like darksiders, DMC and bayonetta. I really hope the gameplay improves. Story and graphics can’t carry a game forever.

With that said, the graphics are basically next generation. I just got a ps4 pro and a 4k tv, so i’m playing this in 4k HDR and it is better than anything i’ve ever seen. I may have to hand in my PC master race card because my 1440p monitor is not cutting it anymore.

From what I heard on the Giant Bombcast, the general agreement is the first 3 or so hours feel really slow but once you get a boat (or something) you start to unlock lots of new mechanics, like runes and upgrades and crafting, and suddenly things open up a lot. They felt that should probably happen earlier, maybe that’s what you are experiencing?

What difficulty are you on, by the way? Because I’m not looking for a super challenge and if you are finding the enemies that challenging on normal I may opt for easy, I’m thinking, when my copy arrives.

I am on normal now. The game is still challenging, but it is not SUPER hard (although there have been spots i’ve died a lot). You just need to dodge a ton because your attacks do so little damage. It feels like there is no weight to my attacks.

I started on the 3rd difficulty and while i could generally do it, the bullet sponge problem was even worse.

My kid is loving this game. He usually looks down his nose at console games but this one is impressing him.

I’m a side-quest completist and roughly 30 hours in, still some ways off completion of the main quest- currently in Locate Tyr’s mysterious door. Map shows I’m at 61% completion of Midgard, 80% of Alfheim and 18% of Helheim with the other realms yet to be explored (28% total in PS4 Home screen).

I think I’ve only been killed by one boss thus far in Balanced Experience- been done in mainly by multiple enemies I’ve triggered in realm tears that are 2 or more levels above me. I’ve abandoned a few of those fights after 3-5 attempts, and haven’t managed to defeat a Valkyrie yet. I’m at L6 now with all available skills, except- DON’T READ THIS SPOILER UNLESS YOU HAVE PLAYED THROUGH TO HELHEIM- the last level 5 of the Blades of Chaos