GOG 2020

IO Interactive adding another game to the GOG catalogue, in partnership with GOG due to the age of the game, with 2003’s Freedom Fighters. Been about 17 years, so I guess this qualifies as a classic release and always good to another game finally become available (legally) digitally.

Holy shit yay!

There’s another new “old” game released recently there - Silverfall Complete:

https://www.gog.com/game/silverfall_complete

There’s certainly a very cool factor of something like Freedom Fighters coming to GoG. Maybe it’s precisely because it wasn’t exactly a classic, just a niche game, probably not even that well regarded by many. But I’m sure it had its fans. And now it might even gain new fans.

Metal Gear, Metal Gear Solid, Metal Gear Solid 2, Castlevania and Contra now on GOG.

Blimey Charlie, perhaps one day GOG can even get SEGA to join the catalogue since they apparently managed to convince Konami to give it a whirl. Good stuff!

https://www.meme-arsenal.com/memes/2132f1923abc6e31eb88d8f7ca57a74a.jpg

This is excellent!

Are they good ports? I didn’t even know they made PC Metal Gear games. I mean the old ones.

GOG turns 12, and there’s a lot going on right now:

Silent Hill 4 is there, Mount & Blade 2, a big sale, and more stuff, I suppose. ;)

I finished MGS1 and 2 each multiple times on PC. I remember being sick and playing MGS2 back in 2003 on my Duron 800, ripped from DVDs because I had no DVD drive, playing with a keyboard. Good times.

The ports were extremely perfunctory, and these days would not probably work correctly without fixes, but I know there is V’s Fix for MGS2 that makes the game run flawlessly on modern PCs with proper controller support and all that.
No idea how MGS1 is adapted by GOG to run though.

Just picked up The Talos Principle Gold Edition there for $5.47 (90% off in case there is anyone else like myself who hadn’t picked it up yet). This is a new acquisition for GOG. Makes me happy, as I was waiting for this to happen. :)

Discount ends October 9.

Collectionists will be glad to know that all of the Ankh series is now available on GOG, with Ankh 2: Heart of Osiris and Ankh 3: Battle of the Gods joining the catalogue today. Additionally, for those with a fondness for helicopters, we have a “classic” release today in the form of Super Huey III.

Finally, this week’s Weekend Sale is Deep Silver games, including 20% off recently (September) released Iron Harvest (YMMV):

Aquanox: Deep Descent has been released on GOG. I know we already have a thread on this game, but I haven’t been keeping up with it enough to know if this is any good. I have not played any of the Aquanox games, but I do still have my boxed copy of Archemedian Dynasty, which I was quite fond of back in the day. IIRC, wasn’t Archemedian Dynasty the predecessor to Aquanox? In any case, it has a launch discount of 10%, bring the Standard Edition down to $26.99. The Collector’s Edition is $35.99, but gee, it seems wrong to hide an “Extended Ending Scene” in a collector’s edition.

Relicta has arrived at GOG with a 25% discount. So it’s $14.99. Never heard of it. Some kind of physics puzzle game where you use magnetism and gravity. I’m intrigued.

Also, Mesmer has arrived. Billed as a “social survival game where every encounter matters”, I have not heard of this one either.

Kicking the new week off with a bang as far as classic releases go. GOG adding another Holistic Design game to their catalogue with 1997’s Emperor of the Fading Suns, published by SegaSoft back in the day. A massive space-based 4x strategy game based in the science fiction setting of Holistic Design’s Fading Suns tabletop RPG. Sufficiently Space-y enough to meet your approval @BrianRubin?

Holy fuck!

Wow, that’s an awesome backdrop for a game.

Description:

It is the dawn of the sixth millennium and the skies are darkening, for the suns themselves are fading. Humans reached the stars long ago, building a Republic of high technology and universal emancipation—and then squandered it, fought over it, and finally lost it.

A New Dark Age has descended upon humanity, for the greatest of civilizations has fallen and now even the stars are dying. Feudal lords rule the Known Worlds, vying for power with fanatic priests and scheming guilds.

A grand 4X strategy game developed by Holistic Design Inc., Emperor of the Fading Suns is set in the Dark Ages of Space. It allows players to take the role of one of the powerful nobles fighting to become Emperor of the Known Worlds. Similar to such strategy classics as Civilization and Masters of Orion, Emperor of the Fading Suns offers a sophisticated diplomacy engine, space and ground combat, discovery of new planets, multi-player (Internet) competition and more. While rushed to market, it built a loyal following and spawned numerous, unofficial fan-made mods.

In 4550 AD, Vladimir I, the first Emperor of the Known Worlds, crowned himself with his own hands and by the Grace of Holy Terra. He was dead within moments. The Regency is vacant and all humanity is preparing to elect a new Regent. But times are changing.

The mysterious fading of all the suns of the Known Worlds is accelerating, causing increased hardship and a general sense of foreboding. The Fading Suns are a portent, it is said, of coming Armageddon.

Did the fix the video issue, the cutscenes didnt play on new machines! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

Gimme a sec and I’ll tell you. I’m installing it now.

The Fading Suns universe is AMAZING. The RPG books are wonderfully written.