GOG 2020

Both cutscenes AND most importantly, music, work!

OMG!!! BOUGHT! Hug BrianRubin!!!

Downloading now!

Cutscene and music work! My number one grip replaying this previously was the vanity ending based on your choices no longer occurred. That was simply the payoff for all the great game play for me! Not even to going to mess with mods this run, just play vanilia lol

This is a truly happy day. A bright spot in 2020.

If I recall the AI had a hard time playing such a complex game competently. Is this challenging as a SP game?

The vanilla version’s AI iiisssnnn’t great. Mods help though.

Ohhh, do tell?

I’m looking for a rabbit hole to dive into after Nov 3

Well the big ones are Hyperion:

https://hyperion.twarriors.com/hyperion.html

And Reality:

https://sites.google.com/site/emperorwarsfadingsuns/home/emperor-of-the-fading-suns-emperor-wars---reality-mod---downlao

I’ve been using the Reality mod for years.

Nice.

Thank you.

This is truly wonderful news! The classic returns!

Oh, it’s based on some kind of pen and paper RPG universe? Never mind then. That means nothing really changes in the setting then right? We never fight out why the suns are fading, a hero never partakes a quest to save the universe to reverse the fading suns? Damn. That’s a shame.

Do the mods do anything to improve the AI? The Hyperion mod doesn’t mention AI, and the Reality mod only mentions the AI in the below-quoted context, which sounds like simply a rule change (not an AI modification) that in fact makes the AI less competitive.

There is no such thing as “good AI,” so I don’t hold that against this game in particular, but it’s also a good thing to keep in mind.

Preventing the Urban Sprawl created by the AI.

The other thing that needed to be done was to stop the AI from covering whole planets with cities. In additions to increasing the resources for Engineers, and making them only buildable in Factory cities, I also made them take 10 years to build.

As part of the Paradox Sale now happening on GOG you can claim a free copy of Europa Universalis II within the next 94 hours. You can currently find the game giveaway at the very top of the GOG main page. As part of the sale you can get deals like the Mercenary Collection (all content) of Battletech for 66% off and Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Platinum Edition (all content) for 50% off.

This is a classic though, it was the first game i EVER reviewed when i was doing that sidegig! It has a special place in my heart, with vanity endings depending on the choices you make,

The AI is not hard, which for me is frankly a plus right now. I’m replaying it at the moment and its giving me a challenge, probably because of my TBI, but perfect difficultly for me, amazing music, and great backstory told through cutscenes and vanity ending. It has the most in depth diplomacy model ive seen in a game like this, though only works in multiplayer to get the true depth of it. A amazingly rich 4x game, with space and ground combat, battle against other factions or aliens. Great game!

Are you kidding? That’s awesome. I’m so sick of RPG’s where my character is the chosen one and the central focal point of all of history, far better to just take part in events rather than be the sole driver of them.

I didn’t mean those specific things necessarily (finding out the fading suns etc), just that pen and paper RPG settings have to be pretty static by necessity, right, where big events can’t take place lest they disturb the static universe in place.

I mean, Baldur’s Gate 2 took place in a PnP setting and you became a god so, no? I think most CRPG’s, whether in PnP settings or not, tend to go too epic and world-changing, not the other way around.

This game sounds pretty good but I never played it (or heard of it) back when–can someone give me a quick review? Should I try it if I’ve never heard of it before? (And generally like scifi TBS?)

You basically take control of one of five great houses vying for control of the human worlds after the emperor gets murdered at his coronation. This takes place during a galactic dark age wherein the suns are fading, and much previous technology has been either lost or deemed too sinful you use. You also have an alien horde incoming to deal with. You therefore have to manage your own planet, diplomacy with the other houses, planets you take over, and walk a fine line without bringing the inquisition down on you for researching a forbidden technology.

It has an amazing diplomacy system, space and planetary forces to deal with and a wonderful setting, with some of the most amazing music in any game. It also has dreadful AI, and it was advertised horribly back in the day, so no one bought it.

In genre circles it’s a legendary game, remember with fondness even with its faults because there’s nothing else quite like it.

Thanks! I check it out when I get a chance.