GOG 2021

Okay, is anyone else having trouble with Galaxy? I’m missing a DLL file, so I tried redownloading it, but now it won’t connect to the servers.

It doesn’t impact a whole lot, but it is annoying.

Last update has issues, apparently. Galaxy frequently crashes on startup now, and that never happened before.

Siege of Avalon arrives on GOG.

Did anyone here play those games when they originally came out? I know I didn’t, and I’m curious to know what people think of them…

I played the first one a bit. It seemed a solid, story-driven little isometric CRPG of the kind I like, but it didn’t grab me enough to play it all the way through. However, I was deep in the throes of WoW addiction at the time, so really not a lot of other games were grabbing me.

Time for a blast from the past, a 1997 blast to be precise. Infogrames’ point & click adventure game Voodoo Kid is now available on GOG.

Kalypso Games are having a week-long sale on GOG this week in conjunction with adding seven (arguably six) new games to GOG. Joining the GOG store are Port Royale 3 Gold, Port Royale 4 & Port Royale 4 Extended Edition, Patricians 4 Gold, Imperium Romanum Gold Edition, Demonicon and The First Templar.

GOG infographic (direct image link) time apparently. Without any solid revenue figures kind of hard to contextualize the 114% year over year growth listed for 2020. Seems like positive news for GOG though and hopefully bodes well for their future as store\platform in the competitive PC marketplace.

I wonder if Cyberpunk was a big driving factor in many of the positive numbers relating to growth, new user registrations, etc.

It is also interesting to see how Europe is dominating the market split for GOG with 49% while North America is only 34%.

Ah the old “we will use % growth from a hidden baseline to imply we are bigger than we are” fact sheet strategy.

I dont blame them for withholding useful data, that’s their right, but it is amusing to see the jazz hands.

GOG is giving away Tonight We Riot, which received very positive reviews (95% of 373 user reviews were positive) on Steam.

And the 2 new arrivals?
Critical darlings Corridor 7: Alien Invasion and Operation Body Count.

Now goddam it, I know those two games take a lot of crap for being among the worst shooters ever, but I insta-bought both of them because I had a lot of fun with them back in the day.

Well okay, mainly Corridor 7. Operation Body Count I had fun with the demo, because the demo had the best level of the game which included the flamethrower. That damn demo caused me to drive 100 miles to the next town and spend $54.99 on the full game. I had no idea that the full game was going to start me off with 10 dark sewer levels. It was awful, and I quit and moved on to other shooters, which were thankfully plentiful at that time (mid-90’s).

But Corridor 7? Yeah, I had a genuinely good time with that one. Never finished of course. This was back when games were long. And difficult. But I made it about halfway through it. I liked the setting, the colors, the maps. It was just another Wolf 3D clone, but one of the better ones. It had its own identity and feel.

I had Corridor 7 too on cd. I remember liking it, but nothing about the game itself. I’ll probably buy it :)

And of course Civvie 11 covered them both years ago. I need to watch these.
EDIT: Apparently, these cannot be watched embedded, so I’ll link directly to each YouTube video.

Corridor 7: Alien Invasion

Operation Body Count

Damn, those videos are DELIGHTFUL. Thank you!

About a year and a half later and Mechwarrior 5 is now available on GOG apparently, and for a limited time you also get The Surge as a gift when you purchase MW5. Apparently it is coinciding with the launch of a new DLC for MW5 called Heroes of the Inner Sphere too.

I had no idea there was a MW5. Is it because it was bad it’s not much discussed?

First up, Shadow of the Horned Rat is being given away for free on GOG as part of the annual Games Workshop Skulls event. It is part of the free Warhammer Skulls Digital Goodie Pack you can claim on GOG. So, if you do not yet have a copy of Shadow of the Horned Rat on GOG then this is a great chance to nab one! Giveaway and associated Warhammer sale runs until 10th June 2021, at 5 PM UTC.

I’ll let the forum’s MW5 Mercenaries thread speak to the quality of the game.

Shoot, thank you. I had foundling memories of MW2, and was glad to discover the game was as fun(but nowhere as impressive) as it used to be, thanks in great party to lovely mission design when I played it again a couple of years ago. It’s sad that that part of games tend to be left aside nowadays.

GOG’s Summer Sale is online! Until June 28th. And Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition arrived with it, which greatly pleases me.

Oooo, as did Witchaven and Witchaven II. With both original and enhanced builds of the game available for download. The later (enhanced build) including fixes from the EGwhaven community project and remapped default controls that follow today’s modern conventions. Purchasable either individually or as part of a bundle.