Grognard Wargamer Thread!

Yeah I couldn’t get in for 6 hours. So I made up for it by ordering $600 worth of games.

I was patient, and finally ordered the Falling Sky expansion and some counter trays. I am kind of astounded at the Compass Games sale. Lotta stuff there, and I was surprised at the reprints, particularly the old VG Korean War reprint. I’m tempted to order a lot of games from them.

Shame I did my yearly purchases already :(

That will teach em! :)

Oh I ended up getting that Skies Above the Reich so looking forward to playing it! Still mulling over Pericles.

This begs the question, what did you get?

Mulling over Pericles? If I had four players interested I’d have that on the table in no time. On the same subject, but at two players, I remember playing Polis and liking that quite a bit.

I would be playing it solo. Tbh I am looking to strip mine it for game mechanics connections so I can probably do that with just the free rules online I guess. I just prefer to give something to Mark Herman as I gleefully plunder his work :)

I don’t think you mean this:

But anyway I got:

A World at War
The Gathering Storm
Panzer Expansion #3: Drive to the Rhine
No Retreat: Italy
No Retreat: Poland/France
Unconditional Surrender

Compass reprinted several of my very favoritest games: John Hill’s Yalu, John Edwards’ African Campaign, and Dave Williams’ Red Star/White Eagle. I’m less excited about them reprinting Stephen Newberg’s Lebensraum, but may buy it anyway. Compass has a ton of great games (Enemy Action: Ardennes is a game all “wargamers” must play) but a fair amount of dreck - like some Adam Starkweather stuff. It’s a weird minefield.

There is definitely some crap in there. I will excuse them for the crap for ‘Korean War’ and the ‘Tank Leader’ reprints. (assuming they use real maps for ‘Tank Leader’)

Wow, Compass is reprinting the 3rd World War games from gdw as one game. That is very tempting.

I would highly recommend this. The originals are so good.

What is the deal with Starkweather? I haven’t played anything of his, but I thought Devil’s Cauldron was well thought of. Man, a NATO reprint as well. I can relive my teenage years.

Damn, I played those 3rd World War games to death back in the day. They were my second favorite WWIII setup, the first being SPI’s full Central Front series hooked together.

Ugh my 12 year Matrix coupon for 41% off expires a few days before Armoured Brigade releases.

Compass preorders, do they charge when it is time to ship?

I’m afraid to go to the gmt games site. I’d at the very least leave with the mbt series and probably a lot more.

Yes45

Wow $135 for the whole thing? That’s super tempting, and I haven’t bought or played anything in the genre for over ten years!

The TWW design really stands the test of time. And Southern Front and Persian Gulf were so much fun as individual games.

Is Southern Front good on its own? I never played it alone - only with Battle for Germany. That’s really cool that it’s a stand-alone Success.

Attention / Achtung

For all the people who have complained about a lack of opponents preventing them from enjoying some of the better games, here is a protip: I just pulled this one off the shelf and it is every bit as super as I remember. Maybe better, in fact. A real wargame that tells a great story and keeps you engaged with constant decisions. It also captures the flow of the East Front much like No Retreat! except that it is solo-able. (No Retreat! is not solo-able.) If you cant commit to the learning curve of Enemy Action: Ardennes then this is the solo choice for you. I’ll even include the link for ease of use.