Gunnerkrigg Court

Go back and look at page 1. Rimbo only wishes he could judge the quality of something like GC on his own.

Exhibit A:

Exhibit B:

Exhibit C

Duly chastised, allow me to revise and extend my remarks:

Quatoria discovering Gunnerkrigg Court and Bill Dungsroman informing QT3 (and by extension me) of its existence should grant those erudite gentlemen of breeding and taste entry into the Kingdom of Awesome. Starting the thread in which they did it should grant Rimbo a ticket for one ride on the Ferris Wheel of Pretty Cool and a cotton candy.Tom Siddell should be a multi-millionaire.
End of line.

Close, but Rimbly started his webcomic thread three months after Bill started this one. Rimbo is pretty much a remora here.

I agree on Tom Siddell, though.

That would only matter if I didn’t know which thread I was in. Which I don’t, obviously.

I blame overwork and declining sperm count levels in Western nations.

I will attempt to address this glaring character flaw by heartily recommending the two books, Orientation and Research. They are very nicely done, although it took some getting use to reading the webcomic I regularly see on my 37" monitor in a much smaller book format.

Yes, credit where it’s due, it was quat and Bill Dungsroman who brought GC to the hivemind’s attention. And all of the good webcomics that have been recommended anywhere on QT3 (including all of the ones I enjoy most) were recommended to QT3 from another QT3 poster.

I really can’t think of a single exception to that rule. Every webcomic worth reading I’ve trumpeted on QT3, I heard about from another QT3 poster initially.

“He better carry a footstool around.” :D :D :D

Actually, I did think of one exception to the above rule: Bad Machinery (formerly Scary Go Round), I heard about via Tycho of Penny Arcade. It is awesome, and I did not hear about it from here first. But everything else…

Edit: Oh, and Dr. McNinja. Saw that through an ad on another webcomic. I mean, “Dr. McNinja…” you either wanna read that, or you do.

Another very nice chapter, the last few have been phenomenal. Great way to end this one. Go Smitty!

Poor Reynardine, I feel bad for him as he’s grown on me since his introduction. I wonder if we find out what happened to Annie’s dad in this chapter? Haven’t seen much of him other than a photograph or two.

every time i start thinking, ‘oh, this might be a weak chapter,’ it just gets awesome again

OK, some hints as to what Jones is in the last few strips, but does anyone care to speculate as to who/what a “Wandering Eye” is?

Too bad he said that she isn’t a golem. That makes the most sense to me.

Why? Jones grew up (at least I’m assuming she was a “young girl” in the flashback scene where Jones - a student, by implication - isn’t in the group picture because Annie’s mom doesn’t like her).

Speaking of hints as to what Jones is, I wonder if her lack of a face in the latest strip is relevant.

In the SA thread, someone made the connection that there was an Egyptian goddess that was called the “wandering eye of Ra”, and that Jones is knowledgeable about ancient Egypt…

I did some Google digging. Apparently the Goddess Hathor was the Wandering Eye of Ra. She was also the goddess Sekhmet when, at one point, she became angry with some people and started slaughtering them, only appeased when Ra doused her with blood mixed with beer; thinking it to be blood, she drank it, became drunk and became Hathor again. According to another myth, the warrior goddess Sekhmet was created from Hathor’s eye.

So I’m guessing it’s something based on the Hathor/Sekhmet mythos.

Oh, here we go:

She was associated with the goddesses given the title “Eye of Ra”. According to myth, Ra became angry because mankind was not following his laws and preserving Ma’at (justice or balance). He decided to punish mankind by sending an aspect of his daughter, the “Eye of Ra”. He plucked Hathor from Ureas on his brow, and sent her to earth in the form of a lion. She became Sekhmet, the “Eye of Ra” and began her rampage. The fields ran with human blood. However, Ra was not a cruel deity, and the sight of the carnage caused him to repent. He ordered her to stop, but she was in a blood lust and would not listen. So Ra poured 7,000 jugs of beer and pomegranate juice (which stained the beer blood red) in her path. She gorged on the “blood” and became so drunk she slept for three days. When she awoke, her blood lust had dissipated, and humanity was saved. In one version of the myth, Ptah is the first thing she sees on awaking and she instantly fell in love with him. Their union (creation and destruction) created Nefertum (healing) and so re-established Ma’at.

Given Jones’ somewhat… lionlike features, I’m gonna guess that she is Sekhmet.

Another possiblility: Tefnut, who is Ra’s other eye, also depicted with the head of a lion, and rarely as a woman.

Tefnut (Tefenet, Tefnet) was the goddess of moisture

…Or possibly not. Do dry coughs go away when Jones is around? Does her presence make brownies come out especially delicious?

I concede that her being an Egyptian goddess is infinitely cooler.

Coyote’s eye, perhaps? I think it be time for me to read through from the beginning again.

And: http://gunnerkrigg.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=974

She knows ancient Egyptian. I had forgotten that. Makes the Hathor thing seem more likely.

I’m leaning more towards Sekhmet (post-drunken cooldown) than Hathor proper.

Edit: Although given her lack of issue with being wet, maybe Tefnut’s the better fit.

Edit 2: Given that second link Calelari linked above, I think she’s definitely either Sekhmet or Tefnut.

I was hoping to see a fight between Coyote and Jones.